Main Menu

Boonie Cap

Started by link, March 26, 2008, 03:46:41 PM

link

So does anyone know what the regulation is as far as the boonie cap?  I saw that it was approved.  Or is there nothing specific saying how and where yet?  Or are we currently awaiting AF approval?

mikeylikey

ehhh.....

Wait for the Change Letter.  I am sure AF also still has yet to approve. 

I predict the Boonie will take the place in most SQD's as the preferred form of headgear within 1 year of it's approval.  Unless the Boonie is mandated by AF to be bright pink, I seriously doubt Commanders will restrict it just to outdoor activities in the sun.

Do you need some SPF 45, cause that stuff works just as well as a Boonie!
What's up monkeys?

RickFranz

I asked our Wing Commander about that, he stated that it was only for wear for long periods in the sun, like flightline, gliders etc...  Not for everyday wear.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

mikeylikey

^ Hats are allowed on the flightline?  Where my CAP planes are based, the Army Airfield guys said we can not wear anything to include cadet's rank insignia.  So basically, everything has to be stripped off the uniform.
What's up monkeys?

davidsinn

If I see one person wear that thing on my flight line I will toss them off for the rest of the mission. I will not have FOD on my line.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

There is a way you can wear covers on the flight line if a higher authority hasn't banned them.  If you have some way to secure it to you or your uniform.  I know a Flight Line Supervisor who has hooks that can be used when on the Flight Line.  And with the Boonie Cap if you have the chin strap hold the hat down on your head.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

davidsinn

Quote from: NERMA002 Safety on March 26, 2008, 04:24:06 PM
There is a way you can wear covers on the flight line if a higher authority hasn't banned them. 

I'm that higher authority ;-)(FLS) I only allow stocking caps in the winter. I encourage orange ones(so much more visible) but black over BDU and black or navy over BBDU is acceptable. In the summer you wear sunglasses and sunscreen.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

davedove

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 26, 2008, 04:03:16 PM

I keep seeing this argument and it's not without merit.  But even better than either the boonie cap or the sunscreen is both used together. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

chiles

Quote from: davedove on March 26, 2008, 05:08:10 PM

I keep seeing this argument and it's not without merit.  But even better than either the boonie cap or the sunscreen is both used together. ;D

Agreed. From a health point, I'm always for doubling up on protection when feasible and safe (e.g. not on a flight line). I'd also like to point out that sunscreen doesn't help a whole lot when it comes to keeping rain out of your eyes. Yes, you can get sunburns even when it's extremely cloudy. Yes, even in the winter.
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

jimmydeanno

Maybe we should just wear balaclavas all year, with sunglasses.  Keep you warm in the winter and keep the sun off your entire head... >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

It would make us stand-out on a multiagency exercise.  :P

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

BigMojo

Quote from: chiles on March 26, 2008, 05:22:17 PM

Agreed. From a health point, I'm always for doubling up on protection when feasible and safe (e.g. not on a flight line). I'd also like to point out that sunscreen doesn't help a whole lot when it comes to keeping rain out of your eyes. Yes, you can get sunburns even when it's extremely cloudy. Yes, even in the winter.

And as someone who has had melanomas as well as another form of cancer, I'm all for anything that can be done in terms of additional protection from the sun and cancer...it's especially needed here in S. Florida.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

davedove

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 26, 2008, 05:47:31 PM
Maybe we should just wear balaclavas all year, with sunglasses.  Keep you warm in the winter and keep the sun off your entire head... >:D

Yeah, but they should be blaze orange for safety reasons. ;D
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on March 26, 2008, 04:36:43 PM
There is a way you can wear covers on the flight line if a higher authority hasn't banned them. 

I'm that higher authority ;-)(FLS) I only allow stocking caps in the winter. I encourage orange ones(so much more visible) but black over BDU and black or navy over BBDU is acceptable. In the summer you wear sunglasses and sunscreen.

Nothing like reading your training material.  In the FLM training it says to wear a hat....even suggests a boonie hat.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

_

Speaking from experience working 3.5 years as a lineman for Signature Flight Support, we pretty much always wore hats on the flightline.  Sunscreen doesn't cut it when you're out there all day and a hat helps protect your from any sand, gravel and exhaust blown around.  Making sure the hat fits is vitally important.  The uniform hat I was issued was very shallow and blew off my head one time.  After that I got a hat that fit and never had a problem again.  If it's too windy you take it off but otherwise wearing a correctly fitting hat is very useful.  I never saw a case where a hat became FOD (I heard of one case involving a Southwest 737's APU intake and an employee being stupid but not anything on GA side).  The propellers on GA aircraft don't have enough sucking power to pull your hat off your head, trust me, I've been close enough to some props to be an authority on the subject.  The same goes for jet engines on GA aircraft again I know this for the same reason.  The main threat to a hat is wind as as I said before you just need to be smart about that and pull the hat off when it gets too windy.

LtCol Hooligan

I remember, WIWAC, that I thought Bonnies and even berets were so cool.  Now though, I don't like it.  I concur with wearing them in the field for keeping sun off faces and ears, but not at other times.  Especially around military installations.  I believe it is unprofessional and only the softcap or a well designed baseball cap should be worn.  Professional appearances are very important and I think we would not appear too professional in the eyes of the military if they saw our cadets running around in boonies like they were Rambo or something.  Honestly, I wish they would not have approved them.  Also- no to wearing them on the flight line.  Wear sunscreen.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Any idea when we'll see something in writing about this? 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Eclipse

I predict the Boonie will take the place in most SQD's as the preferred form of headgear within 1 year of it's approval....I seriously doubt Commanders will restrict it just to outdoor activities in the sun.

I can tell you for sure that many unit CC's will be restricting it to ES field operations or prohibiting it altogether.
In fact I'll be lobbying my Wing CC to do just that on a wing level.

It has absolute no place in quarters, formation, or any place else but summer field work, (any more than a beret belongs in the field).

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on March 26, 2008, 08:00:32 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on March 26, 2008, 04:36:43 PM

Nothing like reading your training material.  In the FLM training it says to wear a hat....even suggests a boonie hat.
And in another part of the same manual it says only if clipped to the collar.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

mikeylikey

Quote from: Eclipse on March 26, 2008, 09:16:54 PM
I predict the Boonie will take the place in most SQD's as the preferred form of headgear within 1 year of it's approval....I seriously doubt Commanders will restrict it just to outdoor activities in the sun.

I can tell you for sure that many unit CC's will be restricting it to ES field operations or prohibiting it altogether.
In fact I'll be lobbying my Wing CC to do just that on a wing level.

It has absolute no place in quarters, formation, or any place else but summer field work, (any more than a beret belongs in the field).

Sounds like a great plan.  But how long until everyone is required to bring a Boonie to ENC?  How long before it becomes the standard headgear for flight opps in sunny locals.

It seems we all got along with it just fine for so long, it is just one more item to make people feel better about themselves.

If we do get one, I pray it is bright orange!  Maybe that will curb the "I want to look like GI JOE mentality".
What's up monkeys?