Plastic encased rank insignias

Started by piperl4, January 13, 2008, 01:46:35 AM

RiverAux

Probably should leave all rank insignia well enough alone for now.  Perhaps we will see a move away from the ugly blue and white insignia when we transition to the new uniform.  I'd rather wait than start a new "tradition" with the current blue cloth on green flight suits. 

KyCAP

Anyone have a pair (or two) of unused MAJ grade plastic encased rank?  I know of two members in our wing that now need them....
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: davidsinn on July 13, 2008, 06:16:42 PM
What about White on Navy blue?

Only on the blue flight suit or utility uniform jumpsuit for now. Subdued grade (blue or brown) on OD green cloth ain't gonna happen for CAP; perhaps if the RealAirForce® allows us one of these days - if we ask 'em again nicely - we could get bright rank on OD green cloth or bright on ultramarine blue cloth rank on the green bags. But I wouldn't mind the bright on dark blue - it's only one set of cloth ranks we need to worry about.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

NO ULTRAMARINE.  We've got some threads somewhere on nametapes and BDU rank somewhere and I think a dark blue with white letters and bright rank would look fine on all our field uniforms.  I think that was the "winner" when someone made some mock-ups of various possibilities.

Hawk200

Personally, I don't see a need for the rank itself to be subdued, but having I think a sage green background with bright insignia would be just fine. The Air Force doesn't wear plastic much anymore, so the effect would be the same as plastic insignia, just a lot lower maintenance.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 13, 2008, 06:52:33 PM
Personally, I don't see a need for the rank itself to be subdued, but having I think a sage green background with bright insignia would be just fine. The Air Force doesn't wear plastic much anymore, so the effect would be the same as plastic insignia, just a lot lower maintenance.

Actually, the Air Force hasn't worn the plastic encased rank for about 10 years now.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 13, 2008, 06:52:33 PM

The subdued is readily available form multiple suppliers.....NOT JUST VANGUARD.  I like to have a choice on where and with what company I buy anything (ANYTHING) from.  Personal choice is a freaking AMERICAN principle. Plus it matches the AF.  WE are already wearing ultramarine blue, because at ONE TIME we followed the AF lead on uniforms.  SOME GENIUS (most likely a staffer at NHQ) decided that CAP would just stay with ultramarine blue when the AF moved away from it.  I am sure they thought that there would be enough stock of ultramarine blue junk left over from the AF switch-out that it would keep costs low for CAP.  Too bad we don't have a time machine. 
What's up monkeys?

Smokey

Mikey is right....yeah I know I'm taking a risk in saying that :)

The AF used ultramarine blue and so did we as their aux....why we didn't dump it when the AF did is anyones guess (maybe someone in charge was stuck in the disco era) but that color is horrendous. Like avocado kitchen appliances. 

I like the idea of walking into the BX and picking up rank insignia (subdued on green) for 75 cents rather than paying Vanguard or the Hock for shipping.  The more standard an item is, the cheaper the cost.  It is simple economics.  Make it special and you pay a special price. Not to mention the monoploy that Vanguard enjoys on those items.  Monopoly = rip off.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

KyCAP

All,

This weekend I finished the requirements for the FOrm 24 for the promotion to MAJ and the paper in the works...   Wing CC already signed off.

I would suggest that Vanguard and CAP NHQ have an issue on their hands.   There have to be others in our wing little less the nation that are being promoted at all levels and don't have access to a "compliant" uniform.

I have posted a question to Job performance -> personnel to the CAP knowledgebase.

The question asked if NHQ was aware, what they are doing with Vanguard or what they are doing at NB to rectify this...

Kind of silly that for all of the time we put into this organization I can't get a piece of plastic.

:)

I would ask that all of the others who are promotable that read this send the same question or if you know people not on CAP talk ask them to go to the knowledge base and their Wing CC to make this issue known.  This might get it moved to a head at National Board. 

It's one thing to change it because "we don't like it" or "we like that better".... It's another to make change for a lack of suppliers.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

mikeylikey

Quote from: KyCAP on July 13, 2008, 10:05:31 PM
It's one thing to change it because "we don't like it" or "we like that better".... It's another to make change for a lack of suppliers.

That may actaully be the reason we move from plastic to fabric.  If it can be shown that suppliers are being slow, or there are a lack of suppliers, that would be something the AF can accept as a reason. 

HOWEVER, I think the previous national commander burned some bridges with the AF when he introduced his uniform without their approval.

Perhaps maybe getting rid of rank insignia on the shoulders altogether may be an option.  It is already typed on the patch.     
What's up monkeys?

SJFedor

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 13, 2008, 10:11:27 PM
Perhaps maybe getting rid of rank insignia on the shoulders altogether may be an option.  It is already typed on the patch.     

I'd be down for that.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

KyCAP

To be clear, I am saying that the lack of supply could be the tool to make a change (for something).  ( not to mention the plastic ones catch on everything: seatbelts, jackets, etc..)

I too would be fine WITHOUT it, but if its an option in the REGs and I am paying dues then I SHOULD be able to get it if I want it.
:)

Our peers in the Law Enforcement categories seem to get along just fine without the rank on their flight suits.

http://www.alea.org/PhotoGallery/detail.asp?rid=88&photoid=4034&curPage=6&gid=132&fm=
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

KyCAP

Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Hawk200

Quote from: SJFedor on July 13, 2008, 10:13:53 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on July 13, 2008, 10:11:27 PM

I'd be down for that.

I proposed that once. It was for the idea of getting everyone in the same inexpensive flightsuit. I don't remember that thread as particularly kind.

Smokey

[

Our peers in the Law Enforcement categories seem to get along just fine without the rank.

Most law enforcement flight crews are officers without rank to begin with. On my agency though, the sergeants wear stripes on the sleeves of the flight suit below the shoulder patches, and the Capt & Lt wear the bars on the collar (same as on the regular uniform).  As I recall LAPD (photo you linked to) does the same.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Hawk200

Quote from: Smokey on July 14, 2008, 12:00:05 AMOur peers in the Law Enforcement categories seem to get along just fine without the rank.

To be fair, law enforcement is a different type of organization with different missions, and as such different uniforms.

mikeylikey

I just wrote the proposal and sent it to my Wing Commander.  Basically, remove the rank insignia from the flight suit altogether.  Now, for those that do not know how to read......it may be difficult to figure out what rank the person is you are talking to. 

Hopefully it will come to pass......and I can chalk one up on my big board of ways I "changed CAP". 
What's up monkeys?

KyCAP

Just wanted to add on that Vanguard just sent me an email that my Grey Epaulets for Major Rank for USAF style and CAP Aviator shirt are ON BACKORDER!
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
Kentucky Wing

Hawk200

Quote from: KyCAP on July 30, 2008, 02:55:09 AM
Just wanted to add on that Vanguard just sent me an email that my Grey Epaulets for Major Rank for USAF style and CAP Aviator shirt are ON BACKORDER!

Amazing. Vanguard supplies insignia for what? A couple million military personnel? But they can't handle needs for 55 thousand? Beginning to look like the CAP side of Vanguard's business is more of a fly by night operation.