Main Menu

Air Crew Wings

Started by rugger1869, January 24, 2014, 09:12:00 PM

rugger1869

Wondering what you guys think of this idea... for the A/C wings, just use the pilots wings but lose a wing.

Like this, but with the triangle and prop in the center circle.

AlphaSigOU

Nice idea... but it'll never happen. It's been beat to death in another thread which is already locked.
There used to be a stewardess half-wing back in the 60s and 70s (for graduates of the airline stewardess activity hosted by several airlines) and 70s but it's no longer issued. I'm pretty sure the wing design is set in stone at echelons above reality.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

rugger1869

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 24, 2014, 10:51:12 PM
Nice idea... but it'll never happen. It's been beat to death in another thread which is already locked.
There used to be a stewardess half-wing back in the 60s and 70s (for graduates of the airline stewardess activity hosted by several airlines) and 70s but it's no longer issued. I'm pretty sure the wing design is set in stone at echelons above reality.

That's a shame... Those A/C wings look like an afterthought compared to the rest. Oh well, nothing to lose sleep about.

Panache

Quote from: rugger1869 on January 24, 2014, 11:07:36 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 24, 2014, 10:51:12 PM

That's a shame... Those A/C wings look like an afterthought compared to the rest. Oh well, nothing to lose sleep about.

I agree.  The AC wings look... cheap.  Sloppy.  Like somebody loaded up Microsoft Paint and, literally, took 60 seconds to bang it out.

When I get MS qualified, I probably won't wear them because they're pitiful-looking.  What NHQ should have done was hold a CAP-wide "design our new wings!" contest.  That would have been fun and boosted morale.  What a wasted opportunity.

Personally, I can think of three options that are way, way better:

1) Use the existing CAP Mission Observer wings, but color then bronze/copper.  (or dark-gold for the embroidered version)
2) Use the existing CAP Mission Observer wings, but add a "AIR CREW" scroll to the top or bottom.
3) Use a completely different wing design, like these British Naval Aviation wings (the "droopy wings"), but make it silver and replace the center with the CAP tri-prop logo.

a2capt

Well, it's "prematurely published", so who knows what it turns out to be.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Or go the way that the Australians have.

The Australians now use one badge for Pilot and one for everything else:

The bottom design replaced nearly all of their half-wing RAF-type designs.

CAP could have one design for Pilot, and one design for Observer, Scanner, etc.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

flyboy53

Guy's stick to silver color. Anything but silver WILL NEVER get past the Air Force which has to approve this wing.

As for the half wing, I still think that's a great idea because the half-wing design has been used by CAP in the past, but I'm also not sure the Air Force will buy that one either.

I also don't like AC wings because that's currently the Navy design -- but I get the feeling that someone at NHQ has already submitted some sort of design without input from the field because that's the way it generally happens around here so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

For the record, some of the designs and photos of existing wings that have been shown are REALLY COOL!

At least a set of wings is finally being considered for all those scanners or other aircrew-related duties.

GroundHawg

I posted this in the other thread. I like it, but it is to easy of a solution for a non problem. We have to create serious solutions to our non problems here in CAP land....

PHall

The Brevet Wing, which is what your one winged wings are called, are pretty much a British Empire thing.
Brevet wings haven't been used in the US since before WWII.

Luis R. Ramos

I like the designs of the BNS and the RAAF wings, without the crown.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

KarlIceman

I'm beginning to think that this idea of wings for Air Crew members is a silly one... How many of you currently have wings?  If you do then you are either an Observer or a Pilot.   ALL Observers started as SCANNERS and without wings......  You are still able to perform the duties of a scanner once you EARNED YOUR OBSERVER WINGS  so for those of you so hot on having wings to wear become an observer and fly back seat.... The same for the photographer... If you noticed in the 39-1 there is still a Balloon Pilot wing .... problem is where do you purchase it? How does one qualify?  Why does it still exist?  Lastly if you want to wear wings think about wearing your AF Blues and purchasing the various sizes of wings in order to make their production worthwhile....unlike the balloonist wings that are still authorized but rarely seen and unable to purchase.   :'(

AND KEEP OUR WINGS SILVER!!!!!

Eclipse

^ This assumes that Scanners, who are now Tasked with the bulk of the actual work in the aircraft,
have any interested in being an Observer.

Many don't.

A 1/2-wing also presumes that the scanner is somehow "less", they aren't.

A full wing with "AC" in the middle is a little cheesy, but fine.

Take the Observer mold, change the center, move on.

Quote from: KarlIceman on January 26, 2014, 07:10:18 PM...there is still a Balloon Pilot wing .... problem is where do you purchase it? How does one qualify?  Why does it still exist?
You buy them here: http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-insignia-balloon-wings-regulation-size-p-7015.html

You wear them if you are a qualified balloon pilot per 60-1 and 35-6.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: PHall on January 26, 2014, 06:40:49 PM
The Brevet Wing, which is what your one winged wings are called, are pretty much a British Empire thing.
Brevet wings haven't been used in the US since before WWII.

The Navy and Coast Guard used half wings well into the sixties for dirigible and blimp pilots.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2014, 07:15:25 PM
^ This assumes that Scanners, who are now Tasked with the bulk of the actual work in the aircraft,

Many don't.

Take the Observer wings......and award it to scanners and move on.....
Vice that....take the pilot wings.....award that at MS and then use the sheild version of the CAP wings (posted early in this thread) and award that to pilots (it is closer to USAF pilot wings anyway).

Stop the whole fight over the which crew position is carrying the actual bulk of the work.....it about team work.  A full crew working together and getting the mission done.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

TexasCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on January 26, 2014, 07:15:25 PM

Many don't.

Quote from: KarlIceman on January 26, 2014, 07:10:18 PM...there is still a Balloon Pilot wing .... problem is where do you purchase it? How does one qualify?  Why does it still exist?
You buy them here: http://www.vanguardmil.com/civil-air-patrol-insignia-balloon-wings-regulation-size-p-7015.html

You wear them if you are a qualified balloon pilot per 60-1 and 35-6.

That looks like a light bulb with wings.

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Flying Pig

Just wear observer wing upside down. Unique design and indirectly supports the members protests towards just becoming an observer.  Political yet stylish. 

BillB

P Hall.   CAP used the half wing for observers in the 1940's and later used a half wing for Stewardess School graduates. Both during and afrter WW II. So there has been at least in CAP a history of using the half wing.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

The CyBorg is destroyed

I support the half wing idea.

I only used the gold/bronze RAAF wings because those were the best images I found.  I think those are for wear on civilian clothing, as the ones worn by actual uniformed personnel are kind of a pewter/silver on their shirts (ones on service dress are gold-bullion embroidered, and those on other clothing are cloth).

I think the "L" (loadmaster) and "E" (flight engineer) half-wings are still used but everything else (navigator, WSO, etc) have been replaced by the full wing with the Southern Cross design.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Panache

Quote from: lordmonar on January 26, 2014, 09:14:05 PM
Vice that....take the pilot wings.....award that at MS and then use the sheild version of the CAP wings (posted early in this thread) and award that to pilots (it is closer to USAF pilot wings anyway).

Like the USAF Fighter Mafia would ever allow that.