What uniform do most seniors wear at your squadron meetings?

Started by RiverAux, October 01, 2012, 03:39:09 AM

What uniform do most seniors wear to regular squadron meetings?

Air Force style uniform (BDU/flight suit/service dress)
CAP style uniform (Blue BDU/Blue flight suit/gray pant & white shirt combo
Civilian "golf shirt" "uniform" (gray pants/blue golf shirt)
Blazer

Walkman

Up until earlier this summer when the scales tipped against me, I was one of three (sometimes 4) usually in USAF style uniforms each while while the other 6 or so where in a mix of polos or corporate uniforms. I normally wear the polo right now, and one of the other AF style guys in on a deployment, so there's usually only one SM not in the polo/G&W (mostly polo).

I'mn working on getting back in H/W regs (the last 3 pounds are KILLING me!) and I don't want to drop the cash on another ser of uniforms, so the polo is a nice alternative for me.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2012, 07:24:07 PM
"Most of us"?

There's nothing wrong with having all your ID's together, I do it, too, it's just not necessary to have it worn all the time like
you were on NCIS.  The majority of members never get near a base, let alone meet on one.

In most cases, newer members wear the 101 all the time to show off their "ES-ness", until someone at an encampment,
etc., tells them to knock it off and you never see it again.

I guarantee you that, regardless of where units meet, no one is checking to insure you have an ID displayed, nor challenging those
without one.  There isn't even a specific reg that requires you have the ID on your person during routine activities.
(Go ahead, check, we'll wait...)

Nope. There's not. It's not necessary. No one checks. No regs.

And no, I'm not trolling you for a response. I'm just saying it works for me and the people in my unit, and to a lesser extent my wing.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

RogueLeader

Most of our active seniors wear the AF style, or if some are pressed for time, AF uniforms.  Every once in a while will someone wear a polo shirt, but not often.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

A.Member

Of the 80 or so current senior and cadet members in our squadron, all but two wear the AF style uniform.   They both wear the CAP distinctive uniform because they cannot/do not meet the AF-style requirements.   Meeting the definition (or at least striving to) of "uniform" is a good thing.

The only people that ever show up in the golf shirt are from Group or Region and we quickly push them out the door (j/k...kind of :P :) ).   Honestly, our squadron has great Esprit De Corps and that combined with sharp uniforms seems to intimidate some of our friends at Group and Wing. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RiverAux

Quote from: umpirecali on October 01, 2012, 01:34:19 PM
There wasn't any option for half and half.

On a given night, we'll have between 15-20 senior members present.
8-10 in golf shirt
2-3 in g/w
And about 4-5 in AF style
Then your answer would be the golf shirt uniform since most seniors are wearing it 8-10 out of 14/18 seniors. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: A.Member on October 01, 2012, 07:53:16 PM
Of the 80 or so current senior and cadet members in our squadron, all but two wear the AF style uniform.   They both wear the CAP distinctive uniform because they cannot/do not meet the AF-style requirements.   Meeting the definition (or at least striving to) of "uniform" is a good thing.

The only people that ever show up in the golf shirt are from Group or Region and we quickly push them out the door (j/k...kind of :P :) ).   Honestly, our squadron has great Esprit De Corps and that combined with sharp uniforms seems to intimidate some of our friends at Group and Wing.

This sounds very much like my first CAP squadron.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

Yes I am to heavy to wear AF Blues. I can pull off the BDU's, not the AF Blues. Meaning, My BDU's fit me well enough to look uniform and not like a bag of crap. In blues, I would look like a bag of crap beause of my weight. So, I am working on me weight. I have some "Disabilities" that prevent me from loosing the weight like normal folk.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Walkman

Quote from: Devil Doc on October 01, 2012, 09:10:44 PM
Yes I am to heavy to wear AF Blues. I can pull off the BDU's, not the AF Blues. Meaning, My BDU's fit me well enough to look uniform and not like a bag of crap. In blues, I would look like a bag of crap beause of my weight. So, I am working on me weight. I have some "Disabilities" that prevent me from loosing the weight like normal folk.

Just for clarity, can I assume you mean the while you fall within H/W regs, you choose not to wear the Blues because of appearance? One could read you post and think that you don't meet H/W and still choose to wear the BDUs. There's no problem with the former scenario, but the latter is against R39-1.

I've found that when I was close to the H/W line, but still legal that the short sleeve Blues didn't look great. Adding the service jacket made me look much better in that uniform.

Devil Doc

Yes, It may be against 39-1, no more than the Polo Shirt for the Basic Uniform. I am on an Weight management regime, so to follow guidlines, im wearing the BDUs. As stated before there is no waiver for people with disabilties, so I told BDU's is fine just not AF Blues.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Eclipse

Quote from: Devil Doc on October 01, 2012, 10:15:31 PM
Yes, It may be against 39-1, no more than the Polo Shirt for the Basic Uniform. I am on an Weight management regime, so to follow guidlines, im wearing the BDUs. As stated before there is no waiver for people with disabilties, so I told BDU's is fine just not AF Blues.

Follow what guidelines?

Either you're in H/W as indicated in 39-1 and can wear the USAF-Style uniforms, or you aren't.

BDU's are not "fine" if you are too heavy for blues.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

I know  ;D Was poking at the unfair regs there for a bit.

If RM can do it, why cant I? JK
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Garibaldi

Quote from: Devil Doc on October 01, 2012, 10:30:45 PM

RM doesn't just poke fun at the regs. Given a chance, he would re-write the entire charter and organization so that we would wear elf costumes and caper about mission base while he looked upon us from his jewel-encrusted throne and threw little pickles at us.

Devil Doc

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 01, 2012, 10:39:20 PM

RM doesn't just poke fun at the regs. Given a chance, he would re-write the entire charter and organization so that we would wear elf costumes and caper about mission base while he looked upon us from his jewel-encrusted throne and threw little pickles at us.

bad image in my head
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

a2capt

Just to be clear, the H/W numbers apply to wearing BDU's,  Blues  and the Green flight suit.

-NOT- to the G/W varieties, Blazer or Polo.

If you're too heavy for Blues, you're too Heavy for BDUs. Them's the rules. If you want them changed, push for it. But don't break 'em whilst doing it...

PHall

You may notice RM is no longer among us. You really sure you want to use him as an example? :o

a2capt

Yeah, but I'm sure that wynd will still blow from the direction of Westover ...

umpirecali

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2012, 05:39:27 PM
Quote from: umpirecali on October 01, 2012, 01:34:19 PM
There wasn't any option for half and half.

On a given night, we'll have between 15-20 senior members present.
8-10 in golf shirt
2-3 in g/w
And about 4-5 in AF style

The majority of the people in this photo are in "USAF-Style" uniforms.  Both the flight suit and the BDU fall into that category.

I was about to compliment the seniors on proper uniform wear, and then I noticed the "issues".
Flightsuit second from left - both the MAJCOM and the nametag are incorrect, no idea what third from the right is wearing, but it isn't an approved
golf shirt.  Also, 101 cards are not part of the uniform and should not be worn unless you're involved in ES - a lot of members view them like
a generalized ID card, to be worn all the time, and that is not correct.

This picture is about a year old and before I joined but we have since instituted a policy that the ID card (with CAP Id on one side and 101 on the other) be worn to all meetings.  You can site regs if you want to but that is what the XO said, and so that is what we do.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on October 01, 2012, 11:07:39 PM

You may notice RM is no longer among us. You really sure you want to use him as an example? :o

As the Japanese say, "Are?"(sounds like arr-ay). Means "Eh?" or "What?" I think. Even though my mom is Japanese and I grew up around Japanese speakers I still don't speak a dadgum word. Anyway...WHAT? Did he finally go to ground?

Eclipse

Quote from: umpirecali on October 01, 2012, 11:30:21 PM
This picture is about a year old and before I joined but we have since instituted a policy that the ID card (with CAP Id on one side and 101 on the other) be worn to all meetings.  You can site regs if you want to but that is what the XO said, and so that is what we do.

CAP doesn't have XO's at the unit level, either.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 01, 2012, 11:43:35 PM
Quote from: PHall on October 01, 2012, 11:07:39 PM

As the Japanese say, "Are?"(sounds like arr-ay). Means "Eh?" or "What?" I think. Even though my mom is Japanese and I grew up around Japanese speakers I still don't speak a dadgum word. Anyway...WHAT? Did he finally go to ground?

Check his status...