CAP Fatigue Uniform Proposal

Started by Stonewall, July 25, 2012, 02:09:36 AM

What do you think?

Stonewall's uniform for EVERYONE
Stick with BDU/BBDU's
Hold out for ABU's

Stonewall

Yes, I started a similar poll almost 5 years ago.  Our CAP Talk Membership has had some turnover so why not start it all over again...  >:D

Yes, I voted first and there's just a little bias involved.

By the way, although I would truly prefer to wear ABUs over anything else, in keeping with our mother service, I just detest different uniforms for people of weight or our fuzzy faced friends.  My proposal would allow EVERYONE to wear the same uniform while looking badass.
Serving since 1987.

Extremepredjudice

Sir, I don't want to be a pickle.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Nathan

I have supported the KBU ever since I saw it five years ago.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

abdsp51

It has potential.  I like the style but I think the color should be different.

Eclipse

Quote from: Stonewall on July 25, 2012, 02:09:36 AMMy proposal would allow EVERYONE to wear the same uniform while looking badass.

So would the blue field uniform, and a lot of the membership already owns that, and the spec already exists.

I'd like to see the blue field uniform updated with a more modern design (velcro), slant pockets, etc., but that's where we should probably
land as a total organization.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Meh, I think the blue uniform looks dorky and even less military-esque than a solid OD uniform.
Serving since 1987.

vento

Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2012, 02:54:42 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on July 25, 2012, 02:09:36 AMMy proposal would allow EVERYONE to wear the same uniform while looking badass.

So would the blue field uniform, and a lot of the membership already owns that, and the spec already exists.

I'd like to see the blue field uniform updated with a more modern design (velcro), slant pockets, etc., but that's where we should probably

^^  +1

wuzafuzz

Quote from: vento on July 25, 2012, 02:58:28 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2012, 02:54:42 AM

^^  +1
^^ Me too.  Change the sew on insignia to match the BBDU fabric and I'd love it.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on July 25, 2012, 02:21:56 AM

I was a pickle BITD, and it was OK. There's been no serious mental scarring, and I was proud to wear it. I much prefer it to the BDUs, which I have also worn.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

I woul rather we just standardized the green bag. No need to buy expensive TACU uniforms and we still can velcro everything, and we'll all look the same. Extra, extra pockets, comfortable, aerospace people are happy they are in a flightsuit, military minded people are happy to be in a military uniform, ES people liking the fact they have a good amount of pockets, comfort over everything people enjoying the fit of it, the USAF happy no one is being confused for regular USAF guys (since I'll tell you many people have no clue what a flightsuit is). The price would be somewhat expensive, but could be negated through donations and fundraising, and'd be equal/close to the cost of a TACU set.
YMMV.

I love the look of it, but could we just go to a flight patch or green tapes? Why use blue? If we also did this uniform, we should go with roughout boots. Again, YMMV.

I'd also rather go with the ABU's, for the same reason you would.

SarDragon

Flight suits would be a HORRIBLE utility uniform. HORRIBLE.

The fabric is expensive, somewhat fragile (tears much more easily than ODU/BDU/ABU fabric), and mostly uncomfortable. I think other folks who have even more hours in Nomex than I have will agree.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 25, 2012, 03:58:57 AM

The fabric is expensive, somewhat fragile (tears much more easily than ODU/BDU/ABU fabric), and mostly uncomfortable. I think other folks who have even more hours in Nomex than I have will agree.

Seriously - a new flight suit runs upwards of $185, looks like rolled poop most of the time, and would be incompatible for a lot of field use - Get into thick brush and there'd be nothing left of it.

If anything, the flight suit is the least useful of any of the uniforms in our proverbial closet - it's the most expensive, has the narrowest lane of wear,
needs to be washed separately and carefully, and offers little to nothing in the way of protection from the elements.

Quote from: AngelWings on July 25, 2012, 03:42:13 AMThe price would be somewhat expensive, but could be negated through donations and fundraising, and'd be equal/close to the cost of a TACU set.

Donations for whom, from whom?  Cadets may occasionally and randomly benefit from donations, both monetary and in the form of used clothing, seniors rarely do.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on July 25, 2012, 03:40:45 AM

I was a pickle BITD, and it was OK. There's been no serious mental scarring, and I was proud to wear it. I much prefer it to the BDUs, which I have also worn.

I started in pickles and jungle fatigues.

That was 1982 or thereabouts.

1981. The rakishly handsome devil on the far left is me. We returned from an FTX and found the kittens rummaging around a trash can.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

GREAT Robin Olds-ish 'stache! Totally out of reg, just like mine was back then.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on July 25, 2012, 04:18:21 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 25, 2012, 03:58:57 AM

Seriously - a new flight suit runs upwards of $185, looks like rolled poop most of the time, and would be incompatible for a lot of field use - Get into thick brush and there'd be nothing left of it.

If anything, the flight suit is the least useful of any of the uniforms in our proverbial closet - it's the most expensive, has the narrowest lane of wear,
needs to be washed separately and carefully, and offers little to nothing in the way of protection from the elements.

Quote from: AngelWings on July 25, 2012, 03:42:13 AMThe price would be somewhat expensive, but could be negated through donations and fundraising, and'd be equal/close to the cost of a TACU set.

Donations for whom, from whom?  Cadets may occasionally and randomly benefit from donations, both monetary and in the form of used clothing, seniors rarely do.
Great points. It's been a long while since I've physicaly wore them for a halloween costume, but they are relatively light from what I remember and definately not durable. Maybe the green TACU is the better choice while keeping a green appearence.

Bloodsky

BDUs are better for training cadets and outdoor use, plus BDUs are plentiful. For those who actually do some flying they can go ahead and get themselves a flight suit.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 25, 2012, 04:26:39 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 25, 2012, 03:40:45 AM

I started in pickles and jungle fatigues.

That was 1982 or thereabouts.

1981. The rakishly handsome devil on the far left is me. We returned from an FTX and found the kittens rummaging around a trash can.

Yep... so did I. And the 'DEKALB' patch rocks! (I was a member of Dekalb County Cadet Squadron (09065, now SER-GA-065) 1977-79.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Garibaldi

Quote from: Bloodsky on July 25, 2012, 05:12:46 AM
BDUs are better for training cadets and outdoor use, plus BDUs are plentiful. For those who actually do some flying they can go ahead and get themselves a flight suit.

Meh...flight suits were in vogue in 1986 after Top Gun. I only see a few on the flight crews here.

cap235629

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 25, 2012, 05:51:46 AM
Quote from: Bloodsky on July 25, 2012, 05:12:46 AM

Meh...flight suits were in vogue in 1986 after Top Gun. I only see a few on the flight crews here.

usually they are only seen on new pilots until they fly their first CD flight in the Arkansas Summer....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Garibaldi

[/quote]

Yep... so did I. And the 'DEKALB' patch rocks! (I was a member of Dekalb County Cadet Squadron (09065, now SER-GA-065) 1977-79.)
[/quote]

I still have my DeKalb patch AND flash...you know, the one you had to do all sorts of stuff for like rappelling off Whiteside and navigating 3000 meters. There were a couple other requirements but I forgot them. All you had to do for a DeKalb patch was be a member in good standing for 6 months. I also have a couple GAWG patches, both subdued and colored. You know, the good one!

Long live PDK!