ABU = Equine Corpse

Started by ProdigalJim, July 02, 2012, 07:14:45 PM

sarmed1

Funny how the USMC and the Navy only spent like 300K on development, and everyone like the USMC pattern; the Army and Air Force 3 million, and everyone still hates them......

I am still of the old school thought; 1 nation, 1 uniform.  Recognition is easy:  "....yup they are from the US!"  1 pattern for the green stuff and 1 for the sandy stuff.  Being an Army/AF guy it pains me to say; just go with the USMC pattern for everyone: it works, they like it and everyon else seemed to try and copy it while uselessy attempting to make thier own "brand".

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2013, 02:51:24 PM
As I continue to assert, CAP will never wear the ABU, and considering the adoption of it now would be foolhardy.

I think you'd be surprised
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on April 23, 2013, 03:16:15 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2013, 02:51:24 PM
As I continue to assert, CAP will never wear the ABU, and considering the adoption of it now would be foolhardy.

I think you'd be surprised

That's why I added the caveat.  5 years ago? Maybe.  Now?  A bad decision.  At least if they'd been adopted with
the USAF, members wold have gotten soe wear out of them.   Anything that happens now would likely have a 2-year
phase-in, whicih would coincide nicely with the USAF phase them OUT which would leave us >again< not looking like the USAF
when they move away from the ABU.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if NHQ moved to try and adopt the ABU now, if only as a matter of making the point,
Hopefully if the requests are sent up the chain for this, the USAF will disprove them because the ABU is in flux.

"That Others May Zoom"

J2H

I don't know why they "changed" the name of the Multicam...
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

a2capt

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2013, 03:18:44 PM
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if NHQ moved to try and adopt the ABU now, if only as a matter of making the point,
Hopefully if the requests are sent up the chain for this, the USAF will disprove them because the ABU is in flux.

Time will certainly tell.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: sarmed1 on April 23, 2013, 03:14:32 PM
Being an Army/AF guy it pains me to say; just go with the USMC pattern for everyone:

As another Army dude of some longevity, I have said for years that the Army should just give the USMC a billion dollars from our budget and let them redesign all of our uniforms.  The Marine Corps could use the money and the Army would get awesome uniforms for once! (Outside of the officer Dress Blues, our fashion sense tends toward awful.)
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 23, 2013, 04:39:19 PM
Outside of the officer Dress Blues, our fashion sense tends toward awful.)

If you joined the Army for fashion, you should have joined one of the sea services.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

johnnyb47

Quote from: NIN on April 23, 2013, 04:43:41 PM

If you joined the Army for fashion, you should have joined one of the sea services.
"We've got a special man in the audience today, right now. It's Mr. Leo. He's a fashion consultant for the Army. "Oh, thank you, Adrian. I'm just very happy to be here. I want to tell you something. You know. This whole camouflage thing doesn't work very well." Why is that? "Because you go in the jungle, I can't see you. You know, it's like wearing stripes and plaid. For me, I want something different. You know, you go in the jungle, make a statement. If you're going to fight, clash!""
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FlyTiger77

Quote from: NIN on April 23, 2013, 04:43:41 PM

They do inhabit the "second sons of royalty" culture, do they not?

I never cared for our Class "A" uniform. Especially when the upscale version was polyester and the second-rate version was wool--exactly the opposite of the civilian sector.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

lordmonar

You know...I work on an Air Force Base with a bunch of Air Force types....I read the AF times....I get the Chieif of Staff and CMSAF e-mails.......As far as I know....no matter what the Army may be doing........I don't see the ABU as "in flux".

As your original post said.....the USAF spent $3M on the ABU's......they are closing units, the T-birds are gounded, the USAF Weapons School is canceling Top Gun classes....most exercises are cancelled......air shows and demo flights are canceled.

I don't see the USAF bringing out new uniforms anytime soon.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Grumpy

Well if you ask me I think we ought to go to the Air Force blue Tu-tu.   ::)

Storm Chaser

I don't understand why some people make such a big deal about the ABU and are constantly asking when CAP is getting it. It doesn't add anything to our current missions. The only benefit may be improved availability. Changing to ABUs (or any other future Air Force uniform) just means spending more money upgrading to that uniform. If we want to replace the BDU, I say we either go to the BBDUs as our only utility uniform or design a distinctive uniform suitable for CAP missions. From a practical sense, the BDU was never appropriate for what we do in CAP and neither is the ABU.

Devil Doc

What? No ABU's!!!! Thats Absurd!! Marpat for everyone!!!
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

NIN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 23, 2013, 06:35:14 PM
I don't understand why some people make such a big deal about the ABU and are constantly asking when CAP is getting it. It doesn't add anything to our current missions. The only benefit may be improved availability. Changing to ABUs (or any other future Air Force uniform) just means spending more money upgrading to that uniform. If we want to replace the BDU, I say we either go to the BBDUs as our only utility uniform or design a distinctive uniform suitable for CAP missions. From a practical sense, the BDU was never appropriate for what we do in CAP and neither is the ABU.

As has been discussed here a thousand million times (it seems), from the standpoint of representing the Air Force (which is a big motivator/retention item for cadets in particular), the USAF Auxiliary going *away* from a USAF uniform is counter-intuitive.

[EDIT: Replaced "bit" with "big" ... Typing too fast -NIN]
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on April 23, 2013, 06:55:36 PM

As has been discussed here a thousand million times (it seems), from the standpoint of representing the Air Force (which is a bit motivator/retention item for cadets in particular), the USAF Auxiliary going *away* from a USAF uniform is counter-intuitive.

I don't necessarily disagree, but then again, so is wearing camouflage for SAR missions or having a selection of "uniforms".

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

To please everyone, I am proposing the following changes to the uniform.

:-[

The BBDU for everyone. Same insignias as on the BDU, same place.

:(

One 3-inch stripe, orange reflective tape following the seam of each leg.

::)

One half-inch wide strip of the BDU at the bottom of each leg.

:o

One half-inch strip of ACU at the end of each sleeve.

???

One two-inch strip at the waistband, MARPAT

:P

And an ABU beret...

:angel:

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

Go sit in the corner after that.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: lordmonar on April 23, 2013, 06:17:10 PM
You know...I work on an Air Force Base with a bunch of Air Force types....I read the AF times....I get the Chieif of Staff and CMSAF e-mails.......As far as I know....no matter what the Army may be doing........I don't see the ABU as "in flux".

As your original post said.....the USAF spent $3M on the ABU's......they are closing units, the T-birds are gounded, the USAF Weapons School is canceling Top Gun classes....most exercises are cancelled......air shows and demo flights are canceled.

I don't see the USAF bringing out new uniforms anytime soon.
Unless they just use the Marpat design. Airman pay for their uniforms correct?

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2013, 06:57:59 PM
Quote from: NIN on April 23, 2013, 06:55:36 PM

As has been discussed here a thousand million times (it seems), from the standpoint of representing the Air Force (which is a bit motivator/retention item for cadets in particular), the USAF Auxiliary going *away* from a USAF uniform is counter-intuitive.

I don't necessarily disagree, but then again, so is wearing camouflage for SAR missions or having a selection of "uniforms".
One of the complaints against the ABU is it does not hide the wearer in any environment, so replacing the bdu with the abu would actually make the wearers more visible.  >:D