New 39-1 ICL today

Started by davidsinn, March 12, 2012, 03:06:03 PM

davidsinn

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2012_03_12_Uniform_Manual_EDA9CCE9FE03A.pdf

Looks like a summary of previous ICLs. Hawk tabs and NBB now full time authorized.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

manfredvonrichthofen

Read it about 30 minutes ago, and decided it was a bit of really good information.... mostly informing us that nothing has been changed or clarified.

I'm so tired of stuff coming out and it is nothing new but they think it must be put out and it just serves to confuse people when talking about what ICL says what.

Glad they are ensuring everyone is informed, but they aren't making sure everyone is informed.

ThatOneGuy

So now the tabs for rangers are authorized? Maybe now they will stop with all the other Hawk Mountain stuff on the uniform... At any rate, it looks like there has been a good attempt to group the changes together in a single ICL.

Spaceman3750

Interesting that it says only the tabs earned at HMRS may be worn - meaning that if you got your "ranger grade" locally you can't wear it.

Blue Berets are now fully authorized as well.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: superLt1995 on March 12, 2012, 03:20:30 PM
At any rate, it looks like there has been a good attempt to group the changes together in a single ICL.

Quite true; however, publication of a comprehenisive revision to CAPM 39-1 is still preferrable.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on March 12, 2012, 03:26:11 PM
At any rate, it looks like there has been a good attempt to group the changes together in a single ICL.

Quite true; however, publication of a comprehenisive revision to CAPM 39-1 is still preferrable.
I totally agree.

Has anyone tried it? I am thinking about it.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 12, 2012, 03:32:21 PM

I totally agree.

Methinks that is squarely under NHQ's purview.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on March 12, 2012, 03:36:00 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 12, 2012, 03:32:21 PM

I totally agree.

Methinks that is squarely under NHQ's purview.
Right, but someone could make one and submit it for review and possible adoption.

ThatOneGuy

That would be very nice if they did that (a revision of CAPM 39-1). I have been thinking about it seriously, just taking an entire summer and hunting down all the ICLs and grouping it together with CAPM 39-1, and adding CORRECT pictures in there maybe. Of course just an idea...

manfredvonrichthofen

I would love to see an ICL and a manual that doesn't look like a photoshop collage. It looks awful when you can tell that they just added a bunch of uniform items on a uniform with photoshop. Not to mention if they are going to use members for the images, they could at least be standing at attention or parade rest.

Also, yes it may take a few extra pages to add in some wording that makes sense, but well worth it. I want clarification...

"Badges: up to two skill badges may be worn on the service jacket along with two specialty badges totaling four badges being worn on a uniform at a time."
Dang... that was hard!

Spaceman3750

Good grief, they do something to help the membership and all we do is whine about it. So it's not perfect or exactly what you wanted - as someone said in another thread, it works for 90% of the membership.

jeders

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 12, 2012, 03:25:11 PM
Interesting that it says only the tabs earned at HMRS may be worn - meaning that if you got your "ranger grade" locally you can't wear it.

Blue Berets are now fully authorized as well.
I foresee a 30% drop off in CAPTalk uniform threads followed by a resurgence of new ABU topics.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

manfredvonrichthofen

I'm starting it... titled: "NEW ICL... LACK OF NEW INFORMATION SHOWS LIKELIHOOD OF NEW ABU UNIFORM TO COME TO CAP!!!"

Major Lord

Since ICL's by definition stale-date, regardless of whether they are incorporated into formal regulations or not, isn't it appropriate as an interim measure to create a new ICL? Obviousy, the preferred solution is to update the regulation, but National has more important things to do, like complaining about people circumventing the COC by approaching their congresscritter, creating diversity officers, flying the rainbow flag, and ensuring a safe environment free from the dangers of carrying out any actual missions?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

The diagrams for sewing on collar insignia are incorrect, and the photo of the hat says 1/2" above the visor, but is clearly higher.

The allowance for wearing "other" in lieu of the Wing patch will prompt conversations, to be sure.  I'd frankly just prefer that
they made them mandatory.  Barring that, I'll probably throw the AFRCC patch there after we have the class next month. I still
prefer a cleaner look to the uniform and barring the flag, the only color from the front on mine now is white.

It would be interesting to know why we are still allowed to wear metal grade on the blue field cap - for starters, it hurts
your forehead unless you bend down the prongs. 

The verbiage about the placement of the IC badge should end the discussion on that topic of wearing two specialty badges
or a specialty and an AFSC.   One badge to rule them all.

As an aside, you would think that 5-6+ year old changes would have taken care of themselves, if only through attrition,
however, two weeks ago I saw a staffer wearing a wing patch on his blue shirt.  K-SARAH-SARAH.

Also interesting to note that this ICL does not carry the verbiage about it being in effect until rescinded, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Maybe they should remove the wording "Advanced Technologies" from the ARCHER patch?  Thats about as accurate as asking if you want Beta or VHS.

a2capt

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 12, 2012, 03:32:21 PMHas anyone tried it? I am thinking about it.
I've got it all in Word format now, started it a while back. Got caught up in the photo mess, 'cause I wanted to actually use real photos and lose the 'shop jobs. So I've been "collecting" examples.

This combined ICL makes it easier now, too. It can be used as a checklist.

I just wanted to get rid of all the now-wrong information in the pages.

OTOH, I can see the whole "Why do you have 'MEDIC' on your uniform, if CAP has no 'medics', and pretty much only calls 911?" debate reliving itself.

ThatOneGuy

Some people still wear the wing patches on Blues? Yikes, now that one I have never seen before. Really makes one wonder if people know how to read regulations these days.  ::)

CAP_truth

Looking at section 4 d. for DDR badge it appears the stars are wrong. Tech. should be bronze and senior should be silver.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Extremepredjudice

Why don't we all make a new 39-1. Google docs allows several editing at once. It'd make it a smaller project instead of this giant project for one person.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"