Do you want to switch to ABU's?

Started by HGjunkie, June 17, 2010, 02:10:43 AM

Do you want CAP to switch over to the ABU's?

Yes
47 (42.7%)
No
35 (31.8%)
Maybe so
5 (4.5%)
Don't care
21 (19.1%)
Undecided
2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: June 27, 2010, 02:10:43 AM

DogCollar

I like Stonewalls' uniform and voted for it in '07.  However, if the choice is between ABU's and BDU's...I would rather stick with the BDU's until the supply runs dry.  Mainly due to cost of changeover, and the fact that if no one in the RM is utilizing BDU's as a uniform, then why can't it become a CAP distinctive uniform for everyone?
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: DogCollar on June 25, 2010, 03:44:23 PM
I like Stonewalls' uniform and voted for it in '07.  However, if the choice is between ABU's and BDU's...I would rather stick with the BDU's until the supply runs dry.  Mainly due to cost of changeover, and the fact that if no one in the RM is utilizing BDU's as a uniform, then why can't it become a CAP distinctive uniform for everyone?

I don't think BDUs will ever run dry. They are too popular.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Worldwide it seems on the decline. My home country used to use the BDU with the material for rank slides (like Poland and about half of europe).

Now they have this: http://forum.mnairsoft.org/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=27576&start=0

And I know from the Russia-Georgian war had pics of Georgians in the MarPat.

On a side not about Latvian armed forces:
QuoteThere are 1284 officers, 1945 non-commissioned officers and 1817 privates or privates first class serving in the NAF.

:o
1) That's their whole military, not counting 10K Guardsmen.
2) That's a whole lot of chiefs...and few indians.

DakRadz

So one aircraft carrier has more personnel than an entire military.... o.O

Wow. Really puts it in perspective ;D

notaNCO forever

FYI the their is another jacket besides the gore Tex one for ABUs it's 70 dollars if I remember correctly and the old liners from the field jackets fit in them. They are what we got issued at BMT. My personal opinion is that we stay with BDUs atleast untill we know for sure thatthe AF is or isn't switching to multicam. Personally I'm not a big fan of ABUs and I prefer BDUs especially in the summer heat.

SamMuller

Personally, I love the look of the ABU's but I love the BDU's also. So I would be fine with either one. But it wont be for a while until we switch to ABU's.

RVT

Quote from: SamMuller on July 14, 2010, 01:06:44 PM
Personally, I love the look of the ABU's but I love the BDU's also. So I would be fine with either one. But it wont be for a while until we switch to ABU's.

Another thing to consider is it would not be an overnight switch - for an extended period of time both would have to be authorized and we would have yet another uniform.

Mustang

No--unless Big Blue relents and allows *all* members to wear them--fatties/fuzzies included. Given the AF's preoccupation with 32" waists, etc, I don't see this happening, frankly.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Patterson

^ haha....yet MCSS has blue pants in size 46.  And from the look of it had a lot. 

I could care less about the uniform, more about footwear.  It is difficult to find black boots that are not previously worn or from an Asian factory.  Perhaps letting us wear whatever Boot is authorized for the AF would be good.  Then we can buy through AAFES, and major manufacturers.  New Black Boots are getting more expensive, purchased through the three major manufacturers. 

Mustang

Quote from: Patterson on July 14, 2010, 10:18:46 PM
^ haha....yet MCSS has blue pants in size 46.  And from the look of it had a lot. 
Given that a [mens] waist size over 39" triggers an automatic failure on the new AF physical fitness test, I think we'll start to see fewer and fewer of these "fringe" sizes in MCSSs and the DLA/DSCP pipeline in general.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Hawk200

Quote from: Patterson on July 14, 2010, 10:18:46 PM

I could care less about the uniform, more about footwear.  It is difficult to find black boots that are not previously worn or from an Asian factory.  Perhaps letting us wear whatever Boot is authorized for the AF would be good.  Then we can buy through AAFES, and major manufacturers.  New Black Boots are getting more expensive, purchased through the three major manufacturers.
Not sure which three major manufacturers you refer to, but why are you sticking with those? There are boots made by all kinds of companies that are in compliance. It does not have to be something that's only available from AAFES.

SarDragon

From 39-1: Combat Boots - Black, with or without safety toe; must have a plain rounded toe or rounded capped toe with or without perforated seam; zipper or elastic inserts are optional; no designs. Highly polished, high gloss, or  patent leather.

Looks pretty liberal to me. I wear a pair left over from my Navy days, and another pair of Carolina Tacticals, depending on the mission.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FARRIER

Quote from: SarDragon on July 15, 2010, 06:03:14 AM
From 39-1: Combat Boots - Black, with or without safety toe; must have a plain rounded toe or rounded capped toe with or without perforated seam; zipper or elastic inserts are optional; no designs. Highly polished, high gloss, or  patent leather.

Looks pretty liberal to me. I wear a pair left over from my Navy days, and another pair of Carolina Tacticals, depending on the mission.

Wear a size 14 boot. :)
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

SarDragon

Huh? Applicability to the thread?  ???
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FARRIER

Quote from: SarDragon on July 15, 2010, 06:43:25 AM
Huh? Applicability to the thread?  ???
Availability of boots decrease with the very large sizes

From Patterson
"New Black Boots are getting more expensive, purchased through the three major manufacturers."
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

SarDragon

I understand the size related expense, but am still not catching on to how that related to my post that indicated the looseness in the rules defining acceptable boots. Most of the brands I've seen mentioned in boot threads come that big. Styles differ some, but all seem to comply with the reg.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret