Do you want to switch to ABU's?

Started by HGjunkie, June 17, 2010, 02:10:43 AM

Do you want CAP to switch over to the ABU's?

Yes
47 (42.7%)
No
35 (31.8%)
Maybe so
5 (4.5%)
Don't care
21 (19.1%)
Undecided
2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: June 27, 2010, 02:10:43 AM

indygreg

Quote from: Earhart1971 on June 18, 2010, 12:22:11 AM
Why have Camo or multicam? It's stupid for CAP to wear CAMO. Woodlands Camo is now a 30 year old uniform. Solid Tan BDUs reflect the heat somewhat in Florida.

CAP distinctive BDUs and forget trying to look like the current Air Force Fashion.

You know, that might not look bad.

Hawk200

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 18, 2010, 12:30:11 AMThose ABU's look worse than even the BDU's.
Amusing statement considering that the ABU is basically a modified BDU. Calf pockets, a pen pocket on the sleeve, and a cellphone pocket inside one of the cargos. Material is heavier to keep it looking "nice" even though it'll make you sweat. It's not seriously different.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Hawk200 on June 18, 2010, 02:07:38 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 18, 2010, 12:30:11 AMThose ABU's look worse than even the BDU's.
Amusing statement considering that the ABU is basically a modified BDU. Calf pockets, a pen pocket on the sleeve, and a cellphone pocket inside one of the cargos. Material is heavier to keep it looking "nice" even though it'll make you sweat. It's not seriously different.
Useful for ES purposes, and the Cell pocket could come in real handy for safekeeping. I like the pen pockets 'cause it's easier to access a pen that way.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

tsrup

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on June 18, 2010, 12:30:11 AM
ABU = Airman Battle Uniform  ...  Someone tell me did we pickup a new combat mission that requires us NOT to be seen  >:D

And BDU= Battle Dress Uniform

your point?
Paramedic
hang-around.

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JoeTomasone

We wear the Air Force uniform because we are the Air Force Auxiliary.   We are on the Air Force Team.   Simple as that.

While I will concede the point that we do not need to be camouflaged, I would point out that soldiers working their day jobs on a CONUS installation certainly don't need to be either; would you also advocate that they all go to BBDUs as well (unless deployed)?   Good luck with that.

DakRadz

Quote from: JoeTomasone on June 18, 2010, 03:17:21 AM
We wear the Air Force uniform because we are the Air Force Auxiliary.   We are on the Air Force Team.   Simple as that.

While I will concede the point that we do not need to be camouflaged, I would point out that soldiers working their day jobs on a CONUS installation certainly don't need to be either; would you also advocate that they all go to BBDUs as well (unless deployed)?   Good luck with that.

Nice point, sir. I especially agree with the part about us being on the AF team- the very definition of uniform I won't put on here, because that's too insulting. But uniformity is the point of uniforms- all one team, all one uni. SMs who choose to wear/must wear BBDUs- I don't think there's any problem with this, considering the vast array of reasons SM might need to wear these. i.e. Cadets do PT, not SM. But for the most part we should have a *uni*form*

wuzafuzz

ABU's? I could care less.  When I spend money it will be for BBDU's.  Until then I'll keep wearing the BDU's I got for free.

Whatever color my field uniform is, I wish it would include a shirt I can tuck in!  That would be nice for wearing things on a regular belt, without donning a backpack, radio harness contraption, or other warrior gear. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

cap235629

Quote from: wuzafuzz on June 18, 2010, 04:25:27 AM
ABU's? I could care less.  When I spend money it will be for BBDU's.  Until then I'll keep wearing the BDU's I got for free.

Whatever color my field uniform is, I wish it would include a shirt I can tuck in!  That would be nice for wearing things on a regular belt, without donning a backpack, radio harness contraption, or other warrior gear.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

manfredvonrichthofen

The argument about blending in and being camouflaged really doesn't matter when it comes to the ABU, it doesn't blend in with anything at all.

davidsinn

My problem with the ABU is this:

That's a $150 boot. That's stupid. My cadets can't afford that. Most cadets couldn't.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

tsrup

Quote from: davidsinn on June 18, 2010, 06:48:59 PM

That's a $150 boot. That's stupid. My cadets can't afford that. Most cadets couldn't.

I've found some as low as 35 dollars.  It's all about where you look.   I could/can post a picture of a 200 dollar black leather boot.

Not to mention that by the time we get (if we get) ABUs there are going to have more surplus options available.

edit: linky: http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Force-GORETEX-Sage-Green-ABU-Combat-Boots-8W-MINT-/280518403519?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item41503325bf#ht_1487wt_997
Paramedic
hang-around.

HGjunkie

Quote from: tsrup on June 18, 2010, 07:39:21 PM

I've found some as low as 35 dollars.  It's all about where you look.   I could/can post a picture of a 200 dollar black leather boot.

Not to mention that by the time we get (if we get) ABUs there are going to be more surplus options available.
Beat me to it Tsrup!
Anyways; http://tinyurl.com/23cpfgb
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

The CyBorg is destroyed

I would be quite good with tan BDU's for summer and BBDU's for winter.

But jack the ultramarine stuff and go to dark blue.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

davidsinn

Not to mention that by the time we get (if we get) ABUs there are going to have more surplus options available.

edit: linky: http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Force-GORETEX-Sage-Green-ABU-Combat-Boots-8W-MINT-/280518403519?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item41503325bf#ht_1487wt_997

That's one pair of used boots. Not a very good option. I wear $150 black boots. But that's my choice. My cadets wear $40 black boots from walmart or boots we managed to get out of DRMO via wing.

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 18, 2010, 07:43:07 PM

Not to mention that by the time we get (if we get) ABUs there are going to be more surplus options available.
Beat me to it Tsrup!

Real cute. Using the almighty google I didn't find a single pair under $100 so the problem still exists.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

HGjunkie

Quote from: davidsinn on June 19, 2010, 01:30:33 PM

That's one pair of used boots. Not a very good option. I wear $150 black boots. But that's my choice. My cadets wear $40 black boots from walmart or boots we managed to get out of DRMO via wing.

Quote from: HGjunkie on June 18, 2010, 07:43:07 PM

Beat me to it Tsrup!

Real cute. Using the almighty google I didn't find a single pair under $100 so the problem still exists.
How many pages did you go through? It was just a suggestion.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

tsrup

Fact of the matter is that the boots price is moot.

If you are on a budget, there are Sage green boots out there (and there will be more as the BDU sundown comes to a close, which will happen long before we'd get ABUs anyways) that are under 50 dollars, and there are some that are more expensive.  Just like the black boots. 

Not to mention that it wont be too long before DRMO is full of Sage Green boots instead of black ones. 

I can bet that the ones for sale on ebay are in a whole heck of a lot better shape than my first pair of boots in CAP.

Like with most things in CAP, start out with the hand-me-downs and the used stuff, and as a cadet becomes more seriously involved they end up purchasing uniform stuff on their own anyways.

Also, we could wear Desert Tan boots instead of the sage green boots.  They are currently authorized for AD members (until Nov 2011) for wear with the ABU, so it's not too far fetched of an Idea. 

You can find them dirt cheap and they would add another level of distinctiveness. 

Posts merged - MIKE
Paramedic
hang-around.

PHall

We could just stay with the black boots if and when we transition to the ABU.
It would definitely help distinguish us from the Air Force.

Of course this makes way too much sense, so it will never happen. >:D

MIKE

^ How much longer do you think AAFES will be carrying black boots now that they have sage green ones for the mechs?  If it's located on a strictly Air Force installation they may not even have tan ones after the phase out... And your average CAPer doesn't have access to NEX or CGEX either which might have black boots.

So you buy your ABU from AAFES MCSS, even your tapes 'cause its cheaper than Vanguard... but have to get your "distinctive" black boots somewhere else?

Mike Johnston

a2capt

They hardly have them at March ARB as it is. Sometimes I see 1 option, other times I see none.