CAP Uniform Regulation Working Group Change Suggestions

Started by RADIOMAN015, May 10, 2010, 12:36:51 AM

RADIOMAN015

OK, folks what changes would you recommend to the uniform working group?

Here's my suggestions

1.  Transition both cadets & senior members out of BDU's/green flight suits to the Blue BDU's and Blue flight type suits  -- Reason consistent appearance at field operations, better diferentiation when working with police organization that have swat team that wear BDU's.

2.  Aviator Shirt Uniform  -- Change the pants from grey to black and specify the specific color code that has to be met  -- Reason difficult now for members to get proper matching grey pants, numerous pictures released show signficiant difference in pants colors.

3.  CAP TShirt with Emblem (Blue color) -- Develop a CAP TShirt with current emblem and allow wear with blue BDU pants  --   Reason during summer heat would be more comfortable for wear than current BBDU shirts.

4.  Allow cadet members to wear current Golf Shirts combinations (with black color pants replacement) --- Reason, consistency when visiting quasi military locations such as air museums.

5. CAP Command Patch & Pluto The Dog Patch on Orange or Lime Green Outer Vests.   Allow these patches to be place on the front chest areas of the vest (right & left)  --- Reason, better differentiates ground teams as being associated with Civil Air Patrol.

6.  Tigthen up the weight & appearance standards for wearing the AF type uniforms  --  Reason, members should meet the military standards, and also commander's need to pay specific attention to hair & mustaches.

That's all I can think of for now.  :angel:     

RM   

SarDragon

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 10, 2010, 12:36:51 AM

Here's my suggestions

1.  Transition both cadets & senior members out of BDU's/green flight suits to the Blue BDU's and Blue flight type suits  -- Reason consistent appearance at field operations, better diferentiation when working with police organization that have swat team that wear BDU's.

2.  Aviator Shirt Uniform  -- Change the pants from grey to black and specify the specific color code that has to be met  -- Reason difficult now for members to get proper matching grey pants, numerous pictures released show signficiant difference in pants colors.

3.  CAP TShirt with Emblem (Blue color) -- Develop a CAP TShirt with current emblem and allow wear with blue BDU pants  --   Reason during summer heat would be more comfortable for wear than current BBDU shirts.

4.  Allow cadet members to wear current Golf Shirts combinations (with black color pants replacement) --- Reason, consistency when visiting quasi military locations such as air museums.

5. CAP Command Patch & Pluto The Dog Patch on Orange or Lime Green Outer Vests.   Allow these patches to be place on the front chest areas of the vest (right & left)  --- Reason, better differentiates ground teams as being associated with Civil Air Patrol.

6.  Tigthen up the weight & appearance standards for wearing the AF type uniforms  --  Reason, members should meet the military standards, and also commander's need to pay specific attention to hair & mustaches.

RM   

1. Eh, kinda neutral on that one. Maybe just the SMs.

2. I personally prefer the grey pants, and have no trouble getting a fairly close color match to the grade sleeves. Sears and Penneys both carry pants in that color range.

3. Good idea. But leave event issued shirts optional. You know that the BDU blouse can be removed as necessary even with today's black or brown undershirts?

4. Nope. Too many uniforms for the cadets and their parents; wallets. Also lessens the distinction between SMs and cadets where it might make more of a difference.

5. Works for me.

6. Nope. The current standards are fine. We need better enforcement, not new rules.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

1. Good with that, except for currently we can get BDU's for free from the AF.

2. As many know, I hate the grey pants.  Black would be good, but I'd prefer a dark blue; i.e., airline type. If grey must be kept, allow grey BDU trousers from Propper. I know some who already wear those with the aviator shirt.

3. Good with that, but some squadrons have their own T-shirts.

4. Abstention. I never wear the golf shirt, so I'm not concerned with anything to do with that.

5. OK, but also allow leather flight suit/utility uniform nameplate.

6. It's hard enough to get uniformity now; to "tighten-up" would be even more difficult.

I would add, probably uselessly, to push for retention of the CSU with the modifications specified by General Courter (grey epaulettes, deletion of metal rank, standard CAP grey nameplate). I wear that now (except that I never got a service coat) and get many compliments on it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

1.  Agree with transitioning to BBDU for SM not cadets...but not the reasoning behind it.
2.  Why not just keep the gray pants....and standards the color.
3. Agree the CAP ought to sell a "standard" CAP T-shirt....but no need to wear them blue jeans.  Rules already allow us to remove our shirts if it is hot outside.
4. Agree...(with the current grey pants).
5. Does not need to go to uniform board....if you want to do that....do it.  Orange vests are ES gear not uniforms.
6. Drop AF style uniforms from Senior Members altogether.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

billford1

Here's my suggestions

RM   

1. I suggest lose the BBDU. They look fine when new but when laundered they soon look faded and tattered. BDU for everyone should be looked at again once the AF is finally done with them.

2. Navy blue would be my preference. The gray slack shades vary too much.

3. Should be fine.

4. Polo shirt uniform for Cadets? Why not.

5. Command Patch fine. No dog patch please.

6. I would leave the appearance standards as is. I would focus on how well the uniform is worn and work to assure PDO mentorship.

cap235629

here we go again, catch us if you can.....................
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

billford1

Quote from: cap235629 on May 10, 2010, 01:20:23 AM
here we go again, catch us if you can.....................
Did you expect it to stay dormant for long?

MIKE

Only ones I agree with are 3 (If it's a navy blue shirt for the Field Uniform?) and 6. 

I would replace the white t-shirt worn with the Field Uniform with a matching navy blue t-shirt (Looks slick with the ODU.).  I don't like the black t-shirt with the Field Uniform either, but some do... Can be uniform with the BDU though.

Add a rigger belt option to both the Field Uniform and BDU in lieu of the blue web belt with black open face buckle and tip.  (Been wearing a black one with ODUs.)

Fix insignia placement on the BDU cap and blue BDU cap IAW AFI 36-2903 including chaplains option, but discontinue metal insignia on blue BDU cap.

Authorize transitional boots with the BDU.  Sage or tan.  Sand/tan moisture wicking t-shirts in lieu of Army Brown t-shirt?

Start the process of killing off patches from both the BDU and Field Uniform.

Cloth grade insignia and ASNP for flight suit/jacket.  Above boot options for AF-style flight suit?

Fix insignia placement on AF-style service uniforms (Male versus female IAW AFI 36-2903).  Fix sleeve crease on shirt/blouse to natural crease line.

Allow military awards earned to be worn on AF-style uniform as prescribed regardless of members military status or lack thereof.  i.e. civilian, auxiliary.

Shoulder cords - either go back to the old manner of wear or change to a more appropriate pin-on cord.

Find a way to get rid of cadet officer shoulder boards.  I would transition to AFJROTC cadet officer grade.  Fix cadet grade insignia placement IAW AFI 36-2903. i.e. lightweight blue jacket. (See also NCOs.)

Either fix uniform insignia placement for senior members without grade or mandate golf shirt gray slacks only.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

How about a moratorium on uniform threads here until there is action of any kind by NHQ?

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

Quote from: Eclipse on May 10, 2010, 01:52:31 AM
How about a moratorium on uniform threads here until there is action of any kind by NHQ?

Second

lordmonar

Quote from: vento on May 10, 2010, 02:22:25 AM

Second
How about there be just ignoring uniform threads unless you want to particpate?

Geeze....we get it.  You don't want to talk about uniforms....so don't and let us who want to talk about uniforms get on with it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NCRblues

#1. Can anyone cite a actual instance where a cap ground team (or any cap personnel for that matter) was confused with a L.E. SWAT team? The Air Force is done with BDU's. At the local base, their are literally hundreds of sets waiting to be shipped to local cap units.... I seem to recall a lot of bi&^$$#@! going on about the cost to members of our uniform changes so, why are we going to change a uniform that we can get  for free. An added benefit the Air Force can no longer claim we look too close to them in BDU's since, well, they wont wear them anymore at all coming up very soon.

#2. Um, why? Just specify the gray color....no need to change it to black AND specify a color...

#3. um...sure, another thing to buy...

#4 No, make your cadets where the uniforms they already have, simple....

#5 yay more money to spend, by the way are you going to buy me those and get them placed for me?

#6 Enforce the rules that are in place..... rules upon rules mean nothing if no one enforces them...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Spike

Again?!?!

OK....as I always throw this in, I will throw it in again.  Get RID of the Cadet Officer Boards.  What a waste of money, and is an awful throwback to an era long GONE. 

Hated them as a Cadet, my Cadets hate them and they sometimes are incompatible with the actual metal insignia that are supposed to be attached. 

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 10, 2010, 02:33:34 AM
Quote from: vento on May 10, 2010, 02:22:25 AM

Second
How about there be just ignoring uniform threads unless you want to particpate?

Geeze....we get it.  You don't want to talk about uniforms....so don't and let us who want to talk about uniforms get on with it.

No - I love to talk uniforms and equipment - there is simply nothing left in this regard that is "new under the sun".

This subject has been pulverized so small that the guys at CERN may start checking these threads for the Higgs Bosun.

"That Others May Zoom"

Senior

Higgs What  ??? Is CERN like CERT??? ;)
Get rid of that stupid Pluto patch.  The oval airplane SAR patch was
okay. 

tsrup

1.  What about places that the local swat wears bluebdu's? wouldn't that make us more like them?  The current uniform is fine, especially now that BDU's are being phased out of service for all branches.

2.  Changing the pants color is only going to cause us to have problems with people not purchasing matching black pants.  All that needs to be done on this level is to clarify the regulation and give more guidance.   Or has anyone considered that the regulation was written to be broad on purpose?

3.  No problem with this.  However there's nothing bad with getting this done on the squadron level, squadron t-shirts are always a fun Idea.

4.  Cadets should be wearing blues to any kind of military location.  Otherwise proper civilian attire is more than appropriate.  You want a unit shirt for these kinds of things?  Make one.  The idea of not having corporate uniform items for cadets is a cost factor.  We can provide free bdu's and free blues to each one of our cadets.  We would not be able to do the same with corporate items.

5.  I thought the Orange Vests that said "Civil Air Patrol" on them were obvious enough.  Again, you wanna put a patch on it, I don't think there is anything to stop you. 

6.  This one contradicts your first statement.  However there is nothing wrong with our current standards, our current standards need to be enforced. 

Side note, how many threads do you need to make stating the same thing over and over and over again?
Paramedic
hang-around.

a2capt

LOL, the poor Cadet Officer Boards.

You can't get rid of them.. a great source of entertainment, listening to them complain about them, hearing the stories and methods of attachment, etc .. would be GONE forever

JC004

Quote from: MIKE on May 10, 2010, 01:46:57 AM
Shoulder cords - either go back to the old manner of wear or change to a more appropriate pin-on cord.

I don't know.  It is sort of entertaining to see small cadets with the cord mostly down to the waist.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: lordmonar on May 10, 2010, 01:10:38 AM
Drop AF style uniforms from Senior Members altogether.

Two questions, sir.

1. Why?

2.  Replace them with...?

I really doubt that will happen unless the USAF decides to cut CAP loose altogether, in which case CAP as we have known it will no longer be CAP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Capt_Redfox30

How about whatever uniform changes there are going to be no matter how big or small, National pays to outfit everyone in the program with them!  Just like all the other Military Branches. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ