bragging rights!

Started by whatevah, February 23, 2005, 08:11:19 PM

SarDragon

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 04, 2007, 07:15:01 PM
Quote from: sarguy on July 04, 2007, 04:23:17 PM
SARPilotNY, Yeah, I know who he is..  I know the stats are accurate.  I know that he handles most of the missions in Southern California as the IC but also sometimes as the UDF person.  I would say that 1,000 Non-Distress finds is probably a conservative number.  When there are over 300+ missions per year (in CA and FL) and some have multiple signals attached, it's not hard to amass those numbers in the twenty-some years he's been in (maybe longer, I'm not sure how old he is).

I know that there are only 4-5 people in Southern CA that actually go out on missions any more, so some probably have a couple-hundred finds as well.  Big states=lots of ELT's=lots of finds...

Funny thing about this guy..  When I met him, it was at a formal banquet and he didn't have any ribbons, badges, anything...  Said he wasn't in it for the recognition, didn't care about the "FIND" ribbons, in fact thought we should get rid of the ribbon.  I think he's got 100+ airplane finds as well...

OK...so who are these guys?  And why in a wing with as many members do 4 or 5 guys run and respond on 300 plus missions?  Is there a click going on?  A "glass" ceiling.  Seems something is wrong.  I wonder how many people run all those missions in Florida?  4 or 5 or 100 to 200?  Any answers from CA or FL?

The CAWG guy in question turns 50 next month. (Thought he was younger than that.) As stated above, we probably have at least three or so dozen folks who do missions. There are 5 or 6 in my unit alone. The periodic PAs that come out listing ND finds usually fill both sides of a page, and have at least that many individual names.

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 05, 2007, 02:18:47 AMTrue...but California must have several thousand members and only less than a dozen that respond?  I guess that shoots down National's video that we have 53,000 highly trained volunteers that will be on station within two hours of accepting a mission!  Even if were are self employed, we lose $$$.

California Wing, as of this posting, has 3032 members, 2000 of which are SMs. A significant number no longer participate due to age, health, etc., but continue their financial contributions. I'm sure most other wings have a similar situation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 05, 2007, 02:35:55 AMIf you have guys with 100 + finds, they must be doing something right, maybe we can learn something from them.

I have learned something new every time I've been out in the field with him.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARPilotNY

who?
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

SarDragon

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 11, 2007, 12:45:17 AM
who?

The CAWG guy two posts up from yours.

No, I'm not going to identify him. If someone else from CAWG does so, that's their decision.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARPilotNY

Had a chance to talk to a friend from CAWG this weekend and the subject of bragging right came up.  He confirmed two guys from San Diego ran  42 percent of the wings 300+ missions.  In addition to the 42 percent that they ran, they also participated in the field or in the air on a few dozen more.  They also had several distress finds too.  He said both guys had participated in over 100 missions last year...can anyone top that?  It still begs the question to be answered...are these guys hogging the missions or does everyone else sit on the butts?   Also of note, one of them found an ELT in a Predator unmanned vehicle last week.  Anyone know anything about that?

SarDragon

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 22, 2007, 05:09:24 AM
Had a chance to talk to a friend from CAWG this weekend and the subject of bragging right came up.  He confirmed two guys from San Diego ran  42 percent of the wings 300+ missions.  In addition to the 42 percent that they ran, they also participated in the field or in the air on a few dozen more.  They also had several distress finds too.  He said both guys had participated in over 100 missions last year...can anyone top that?  It still begs the question to be answered...are these guys hogging the missions or does everyone else sit on the butts?   Also of note, one of them found an ELT in a Predator unmanned vehicle last week.  Anyone know anything about that?

They are more available than most other folks in the San Diego area. That is slowly changing as more folks get trained and become available.

Search mission 07M1302 was opened and closed 20 July 2007 for an
unregistered 406 Beacon in the San Diego area.  The ELT was located and
secured by a US CAP UDF team at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in a Predator unmanned vehicle and secured.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARPilotNY

was it crashed or what?

SarDragon

From the wording of the message, I'm guessing that it was somewhere in the plant. They make them here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

calguy

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 22, 2007, 05:09:24 AM
CAWG has real issues!  These two guys are running and responding to almost all the missions in So Cal!  Where are the other 300 ES personnel in So Cal?

MIKE

Let's try to keep this thread on topic... Or it gets shut down.
Mike Johnston

tvh2k

Well, I seem to be a bit late in the game on this one...

CUL    (Comm nerd)
GBD    (Oh boy, a wreath!)
GES
GTL    (My personal fav)
GTM1
GTM2
GTM3
MRO
MS*    (Don't worry, I'm still a ground-pounder at heart)
MSA    (...and sometimes a secretary)
SET     (...or a teacher)
UDF

...hope I helped steer this thread back on topic.
Terence Van Hise, 1st Lt, CAP
C/2d Lt (select), AFROTC (Det 538)
C/Maj, AAS

davedove

Quote from: davedove on May 22, 2007, 04:31:57 PM
Here's mine:

GES
SET
UDF
GTM3* (finished the tasks and mission credit, just need final approval)
FASC*
IO*
LO*
MRO*
MSO*

Most of the trainee ones are because I went ahead and took IS 200.

I plan to work up to GTL and maybe MO.

I've only been on three missions (all training) with multiple sorties.

I guess mine needs updated:

GES
SET
UDF
GTM3
GTM2
GTM1*
GTL*
FASC*
IO*
LO*
MRO*
MSO*

I'm working on GTM1 right now, and will do GTL after that.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ricecakecm

*AL3
AOBD
FASC
*GBD
GES
*GTL (was qualified at one point, let it lapse)
*GTM2
GTM3
*IC3
*IO
LO
MO
MP
*MRO
MS
MSO
PSC
SET
TMP
UDF

dhon27

One of those posts I always meant to reply to!  Better late than never.

*AOBD   
*FASC   
*FLM   
GES
GTL 
*GTM1   
GTM2
GTM3
*IO   
*LO   
MO   
MRO
MS   
MSA
*MSO   
SET
UDF 

♠SARKID♠

GT1*
GT2
GT3
UDF
FLM
MRO*
MSA

CAP006

GT1
GT2*
*UDF
*FLM
MRO* ;D
CUL (finally got finished after 8 months)
MSA
GES

GT3 should be done in 3 to 6 months.
GTML is next so watch out. ;D

Cadet Commander
Color Guard Commander
Assestent Communications Lieason for Group3 in N.C.
CAC primary.....

Shall I continue?
CAP 006 = one away from the Big Shot

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CAP006 on August 29, 2007, 07:51:48 PM
GT1
GT2*
*UDF
*FLM
MRO* ;D
CUL (finally got finished after 8 months)
MSA
GES

GT3 should be done in 3 to 6 months.
GTML is next so watch out. ;D

Cadet Commander
Color Guard Commander
Assestent Communications Lieason for Group3 in N.C.
CAC primary.....

Shall I continue?

Ummm...wouldn't this be:

GTM 3
GTM 2
UDF*
FLM*
MRO*
CUL
MSA
GES

GTM 1 (should be done in 3 to 6 months)
GTL is next so watch out.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CAP006

I had to add the other stuff to man.
CAP 006 = one away from the Big Shot

C/2nd. Lt. Robert Dahms
Cadet ES Officer
Cadet Comm's Officer
Color Guard Commander
MER-NC-023

jimmydeanno

I was just noting that you can't get GTM 1 without 2 & 3 first...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill