Fundraising Uniform Restrictions

Started by Pylon, February 28, 2005, 06:35:08 PM

Pylon

After reading a discussion thread on CadetStuff about the public perception of cadets in uniform, I got to thinking - why does CAP discourage cadets and seniors from wearing blues during any fundraising-related activity and why do they discourage mentioning the relation between CAP and USAF?

Quote from: CAPR 173-4

Section A-GENERAL INFORMATION

2.  No Air Force Involvement.  It is important that no  suggestions or inference be made in any CAP fund-raising  program that the Air Force is involved or would benefit.   Discretion must be used in the wear of the CAP uniform  in fund-raising, due to its similarity to the Air Force  uniform.  Advertising and promotional matter should  clearly identify CAP as a distinct organization from the  Air Force.

Seems to me that these would be perfectly normal things to do at any activity involving engagement with the public - using our dress uniforms to present a clean, professional image of an organization deserving of donations.  In addition, why shouldn't we use our title as USAF Auxiliary and our seal during fundraising activities when we can use it in conjunction with every single other activity we have?   It goes to show that we are a bona-fide organization, recognized by the government, and not some fly-by-night youth program scam.

Obviously there are motives behind this.  My opinion is that the USAF is embarassed that it has an annual budget of more than $81 billion and CAP has to hold bake sales and sell knick-knacks so its members can complete their missions, buy their equipment, and keep their head slightly above water.   The USAF doesn't want the appearance that one of their own is so severely underfunded, especially considering it's a youth program (the general public or American Joe Schmoe probably wouldn't care if some random USAF initiative program was underfunded, but a youth program that is part of the Air Force being underfunded could definitely make a human interest story or at least make some people wonder).

In addition, I think it would carry the perception that the USAF can spend billions making sure we can protect our "national interests" in every part of the world with rapid response, but when it comes to protecting our own American people in aviation-related incidents they skimp on funding.

This isn't complaining on my part, I'm simply saying that my opinion is that the USAF wouldn't want CAP wearing blues and using the "USAF Aux." title during fundraising because it would carry that perception to much of the public.  I've simply been wondering where that clause came from and I could be way off, so...

What is your opinion on why we have those restrictions?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Horn229

I've got an idea for fundraising. Instead on nationals taking older planes and selling them then keeping the money, the Wings sell them and keep the money. That oughta help take care of getting most of the cadets uniforms and ES Gear. ;D

But ya, it's highly unlikely that would work, since the one fundraiser my squadron has is handling traffic/parking cars for an Arts & Crafts festival. no matter what anyone says, that Camo uniform does stand out when the background is a road/cars. We're known by all the venders, and all the people visiting know who to come to for directions or help. The Uniform is a key factor for us to do our job at our fundraiser, telling us stop wearing uniforms will only diminish the little respect we get, when we walk into a major road and tell the drivers to stop when the light is green. ;D ::)
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

CAPSGT

While the USAF does provide us funding, think about how much more money they would have to shell out to fund all of the stuff we would like to see funded.

I think it might also go back to a little bit of psychology on the part of the public.  If they are paying taxes to support an 81 billion dollar budget for the USAF, they probably don't feel like paying more money to what they see as part of the USAF.  If we somewhat distinguish ourselves as a separate, non-profit entity, the public will generally have less of a problem shelling out a little bit more money to support us.  I'd say keep cadets in the uniforms so that the public sees the positive effect CAP has on the youth of america.  Seniors would be better off in corporate uniforms though.

It might also have something to do with government agencies going around asking the public for money.  I'm not sure if it's even legal for an agency to do fundraising.  Would you want the FBI or the Supreme Court justices coming around asking you for money because they are running out of money for office supplies?

Just my $0.02
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Pylon

Hmm... very interesting viewpoint, Mike.  I had never thought of it that way, but you certainly raise a valid point there.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

Quote from: Pylon on February 28, 2005, 06:35:08 PM
My opinion is that the USAF is embarassed that it has an annual budget of more than $81 billion and CAP has to hold bake sales and sell knick-knacks so its members can complete their missions, buy their equipment, and keep their head slightly above water.   The USAF doesn't want the appearance that one of their own is so severely underfunded, especially considering it's a youth program (the general public or American Joe Schmoe probably wouldn't care if some random USAF initiative program was underfunded, but a youth program that is part of the Air Force being underfunded could definitely make a human interest story or at least make some people wonder).

As anyone who has served in the military know, LOOKS COUNT & PERCEPTION IS EVERYTHING. And I think you nailed it right on the head.
2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona