Gray Senior Epaulets

Started by E-8, May 13, 2005, 11:35:42 PM

E-8

All,

I am looking for a source where I can purchase plain Gray SM Epaulets, for CAP Senior NCO grades.  CAPMart is out of stock, and so is The Hock.  Does anybody know a source, maybe a Squadron Supply section, where I can buy a pair?  I can pay with check or cash by mail.

Thanks for looking; stay safe.

E-8

pixelwonk

Hmm... that's gonna be a tough one. 

MIKE

Those would be the only sources that I know of.  SM NCOs are rare, so the epaulets would be hard to find otherwise.

You could cut the bars off of some 2d Lt or 1st Lt epaulets if you can get some from someone or purchase them.  Otherwise, you could wear cloth chevrons on the sleeves.

Edit:  I bet the reason they are out is because of all the misinformed new SM's who have been purchasing them.
Mike Johnston

pixelwonk

You'd be putting metal stripes on it, correct?  Are they big enough to cover where LT bars would be?  Might serve well for a temporary solution.

MIKE

Quote from: tedda on May 14, 2005, 01:55:17 AM
You'd be putting metal stripes on it, correct?  Are they big enough to cover where LT bars would be?  Might serve well for a temporary solution.

Had a MSgt in my previous unit who just cut the bars off of some 2d Lt epaulets.  It can be done, and it looks fine if you are careful.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on May 14, 2005, 01:58:47 AM
Quote from: tedda on May 14, 2005, 01:55:17 AM

Had a MSgt in my previous unit who just cut the bars off of some 2d Lt epaulets.  It can be done, and it looks fine if you are careful.

Yep - if you get a hold of any other pair of SM epaulets, you can use a seam ripper to remove the embroidered thread.  Perhaps some SM in your unit have an old beat up set at home you could use for this purpose.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major_Chuck

If you can find the supplier that produces the epaulets for CAPMart they may be able to furnish you with list of who else may sell just the plain grey.  It is going to be tough though because it is a CAP unique item.

At the MER Conference I found out that the guy that owns the Hock Shop purchases directly from CAPMart so until CAPMart gets them he'll be out for a while as well.

-cc
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

usafafreak

C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

usafafreak

Sorry Sir I have some reading problems apparently. Maybe I should read the whole post before I go responding to it.
So just scratch that last post.
C/SSgt Johnson
115 Composite Squadron
AR WING

05grpcc

Just wait until CAPMART has them in stock and please ignore the suggestions about altering a pair of officer grade epaulets.
The USAF and CAP expect us to maintain a professional appearance and attaching metal cut-outs is not an appropriate alternative to having the correct uniform item,temporary or not.
In the past these types of uniform alterations helped to distance ourselves from the AF, I am confident that the majority of our members do not want a repeat of the maroon epaulet fiasco/punishment.Help us to maintain a positive association with our parent organization by maintaining a professional appearance and attitude.

MIKE

Quote from: 05grpcc on May 18, 2005, 02:04:50 AM
Just wait until CAPMART has them in stock and please ignore the suggestions about altering a pair of officer grade epaulets.
The USAF and CAP expect us to maintain a professional appearance and attaching metal cut-outs is not an appropriate alternative to having the correct uniform item,temporary or not.

Good thing I checked the manual before I had to open my mouth and insert foot.  :D

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Figure 2-5. Men's Short-sleeve Shirt (Senior Members)... Senior member NCOs and Airmen wear the 3-inch or 3 1/2-inch cloth chevrons on the sleeve or embroidered gray epaulet sleeve. ....

Quote from: CAPM 39-16-1. ... CAP senior members who hold NCO and airmen grades may wear cloth chevrons sewn on
the sleeve or gray epaulet sleeves with embroidered chevrons. ...

Seems the change went unnoticed by me and probably many others.  Metal insignia was correct for SM NCOs Sgt-CMSgt in the previous edition of CAPM 39-1 of July 1997... Looks as if they changed to embroidered on us.  Probably gonna cost a pretty penny too due to the low volume of orders.

Note that the cloth chevrons on the sleeves remain authorized provided CAP collar insignia are worn.
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: 05grpcc on May 18, 2005, 02:04:50 AM
In the past these types of uniform alterations helped to distance ourselves from the AF, I am confident that the majority of our members do not want a repeat of the maroon epaulet fiasco/punishment.Help us to maintain a positive association with our parent organization by maintaining a professional appearance and attitude.

Sorry - I didn't believe I was suggesting an un-authorized shortcut.  It would seem we all missed the small change from the 1997 to the new uniform manual that changed metal pin-on stripes on grey epaulets to embroidered stripes.  It used to be authorized and acceptable and since I myself am not a CAP SM NCO, nor do I personally know any, it wasn't one of the details I noticed with in the revised manual.

Since, now we know - I guess you'll just have to wait until CAPMart gets them in stock.  It amazes me that they would propagate a change, but not have the necessary items yet in stock to fulfill the inevitable orders from those trying to meet the new requirement.    ::)

The left hand doesn't seem to know what the whole rest of the body is doing, sometimes...
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

We got pwned Mike, 'cause we weren't paying attention.  ;)

I guess saying "It was authorized three months ago." isn't an acceptable excuse anymore.

How come the new manual doesn't have a phase out sheet like the 1997 one did... I think I would have noticed if that were the case.

Can you tell that I hate being wrong?  :'(
Mike Johnston

pixelwonk

Quote from: MIKE on May 18, 2005, 03:33:41 AM

How come the new manual doesn't have a phase out sheet like the 1997 one did... I think I would have noticed if that were the case.

My thoughts exactly.

AZ Balloon Pilot

I think I might still have some.. maybe we can work something out.  Shoot me an email if you want.

2/Lt. Martin Maxwell
AZ Wing CAP Sqn. 302