Main Menu

What is after level V

Started by Spike, December 19, 2009, 07:03:10 PM

Spike

So, I have level five done since last March.  What more professional development is there in CAP now??  Do I sign up for the "Organizational Excellence" specialty track??  I have done more Professional development and attended more CAP courses than my Wing and Region Commnader, except for the Wing Commanders Course.  These are the people who are supposed to guide me the through the OE track?!?!

OR do most people just "check the box" and say "PRO DEV complete".

Nick

Quote from: Spike on December 19, 2009, 07:03:10 PM
What more professional development is there in CAP now?
Mentoring.  You're done developing yourself, so develop others. :)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Major Carrales

Once your Professional Development is complete, then, one would ponder, that your energies and focus should now turn to service (which should have been the motivation for said development in the first place).

I was discussing this with one of our new members who is leading up our efforts in our joint CAP-BSA Venture Crew.   

It seems that the "culture" of professional develop for Senior Members and for Cadets is different.  Cadet advancement is found via the achievements.  Thus, like Scouts moving through the Program earning their way to Life then Eagle, the focus is on making it from achievement to achievement and, thus, up in grade.  Once a scout makes Eagle, there is the Order of the Arrow that focus on service.

Senior Member development is different.  There are five levels that are not seen through that same culture.  Most CAP Officers who join, to so for service to a unit or the greater efforts of CAP.  While the Wilson is prestigious, it has no where near the pomp of Spaatz or even the Mitchell.  In fact, I would venture to say that the Davis Leadership award is the most some garner, while the Loening (the level which I have attained) is the realm of those who are in their second decade of CAP service. 

I am aware of only two Garbers and know of no Wilsons that have ever served in my Unit.

So, now that all that is out of the way what is my advice?

Become a "project centered" CAP officer.  Offer to develop and lead projects in and around the unit or even in the Wing.  If you are doing so already, then you have it all!!!  Enjoy and thank you for you outstanding service to CAP!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

FW

Quote from: McLarty on December 19, 2009, 07:23:15 PM

Yes, I agree.  Pass on what you have learned to others.  Keep it real, in perspective and, stay focused on what is right.

Oh, yeah, worry about OE when it finally is "ON TRACK"  ;D

bosshawk

Sparky: do you count me among those who have earned the Garber?  I received mine last summer.  In fact, I earned the Davis, Loening and Garber all within the span of two or three months.  It helps that I had done most of the requirements throughout my CAP "career" and had all of the schooling requirements done through my past millitary schools.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Major Carrales

Quote from: bosshawk on December 19, 2009, 09:31:07 PM
Sparky: do you count me among those who have earned the Garber?  I received mine last summer.  In fact, I earned the Davis, Loening and Garber all within the span of two or three months.  It helps that I had done most of the requirements throughout my CAP "career" and had all of the schooling requirements done through my past millitary schools.

Congrats...I had been unaware of that.  In my post I was making reference to two locals.  I, myself, need Region Staff College for obtain the Garber.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

ZigZag911

Air War College correspondence program

AlphaSigOU

Don't forget this 'exiled' Texas Wing member 'serving time' in Kwajalein! Got my Garber back in July, before I shipped out here. (And copies of my cadet awards and senior PD certs hang proudly in my BQ wall - my originals are safely at home!)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 19, 2009, 08:38:06 PM
I am aware of only two Garbers and know of no Wilsons that have ever served in my Unit.

In my wing, there are only 8 currently active members that have a Wilson Award (including me and my wife).  We were presented the certificates on Thursday and 6 of those 8 members were in the room because they attend our unit meetings.

I'm in the same situation as Spike.  27 years old, completed Level 5, have three master ratings, etc.  I'm about to be an "in limbo" member as we move across the country so I'm going to be looking for something new to do.  Maybe they'll be a Wing Commander slot open or something  >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Short Field

At the last wing conference, the region commander made the statement that there are fewer Wilson awards than there are Spaatz awards.   I guess there have been around 2700 Wilson Awards.  How many Spaatz Awards?
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

CadetProgramGuy

In theory Professional Development is never over......

ICS Classes, FEMA Courses, Additional Specialty Tracks, ES Skill completions, ect.....

SarDragon

Quote from: Short Field on December 20, 2009, 04:04:57 AM
At the last wing conference, the region commander made the statement that there are fewer Wilson awards than there are Spaatz awards.   I guess there have been around 2700 Wilson Awards.  How many Spaatz Awards?

Middle 1700s.

[edit - from low to middle]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: Short Field on December 20, 2009, 04:04:57 AM

I think your Region Commander was referring to just your region.  As was posted above, Wilson's are at about 2700 while Spaatz's just hit 1800.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 20, 2009, 02:56:52 AM
I'm about to be an "in limbo" member as we move across the country so I'm going to be looking for something new to do.  Maybe they'll be a Wing Commander slot open or something  >:D

Where you moving to if you don't mind me asking?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

jimmydeanno

Shreveport, LA.  My wife commissioned and is getting stationed at Barksdale...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

James Shaw

I have finished Level V. I took SOS in place of Regional Staff College. I want to attend RSC in residence. I am also currently enrolled in ACSC. After RSC college I wont technically have any other PD classes to attend. I wouldnt mind going to Wing Commanders course for the experience but dont want to be a wing commander (not right now atleast, maybe 10 years from now).

I would like to be involved in training. I have been SLS / CLC curriculum director and trainer. I would like to be a seminar advisor at NSC or RSC (after attending RSC).
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 20, 2009, 07:07:53 PM
Shreveport, LA.  My wife commissioned and is getting stationed at Barksdale...

Barkatraz!  >:D  ;D There's an excellent CAP squadron there. Fifinella used to be a member of it.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jimmydeanno

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 21, 2009, 04:30:30 AM
Barkatraz!  >:D  ;D There's an excellent CAP squadron there. Fifinella used to be a member of it.

She was a member of my NSC seminar.  We had a pretty good discussion about the area, etc.  Should be...interesting :)

CadetProgramGuy

Whats easier, SOS or RSC?  Either way I have 4 years to take either one.....

James Shaw

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 21, 2009, 08:50:15 AM
Whats easier, SOS or RSC?  Either way I have 4 years to take either one.....

I would say go RSC. You will spend less time at RSC for the entire week than you would for  all the time SOS takes.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

flyguy06

RSC was the best non cadet related CAP actitivty Ihave attended thus far

Chappie

Quote from: McLarty on December 19, 2009, 07:23:15 PM

Wholeheartedly concur.   :clap:
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)