Main Menu

Personnel Records

Started by stratoflyer, January 28, 2009, 05:29:18 AM

stratoflyer

I understand that senior member and cadet personnel records are kept the same. What is that order? I think basically its first section being membership info then awards, then operation related stuff like qualifications, then administrative things including promotions.

Also, what type of folders would you recommend for personnel files?

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

lordmonar

Any order you want to.

Basically the file folder (CAPF 60 or CAPF45) are the personnel record.  As invisioned you just stick all the CAPF 2's, 2a's, 52-x, 11's, 45a (back when it was seprate) and any other source documents in the file forder any old way.

If you use a six part folder (like we do) you can format it anyway you like.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

I've been a Personnel officer for four units, and arranged all the records each time the same way. None of the records were kept in the same order when I got to them, so it wasn't an issue to organize them to the same standard.

I used the four part folders that you can get at just about any office supply. On the first part, I placed the application and then any Form 2's, and 2A's in chronological order, oldest on the bottom. Even though there are a number of badges that aren't listed on the 2A, I usually put those on the "Other" line, have the commander sign, and include them so that the member has proof of anything that they've been awarded.

The second tab had the training folder (senior or cadet), and placed any certificates of training (for seniors this would include military certificates or civilian training that is pertinent, for cadets I'd include encampment certificates and the like).

The third tab would be Personnel Authorizations, and decorations awarded without specific names, such as the Unit Awards given with only the statement to the effect of "the unit citation is awarded to all members of XXXX Wing for the period of xxxxx to xxxx".

Fourth tab would be things like MSA's, participation letters, radio permits, CAP driver licenses, etc.

The above arrangement has worked well when there are unit assesments, and I've gotten high marks for it.

Keep in mind that there is no official record layout mentioned by National. In a previous unit, I had a newer Personnel officer hand me a folder that he claimed was the official National format. The contents of the record were of a member from that state and weren't very logically organized. With the commander's permission, I contacted National Personnel for any kind of of published guidance on it. There wasn't any, and I was told by National that no such format existed.

All in all, if your records are all arranged the same, you should get through any assessment with flying colors. Keep it neat, and you should be good to go.

Eclipse

Decide what you want it to be and then document it.

The lack of an administrative file plan is something most units get gigged on during their SUI's.

"That Others May Zoom"

ThorntonOL

I don't know about anyone else but I'm going to at least make sure my folder documents all my specialty tracks that I have done or are working on so no one goes complaining that I didn't do the time for or classes.
If you use the six part folder one should be for the SM specialty tracks and for the Cadet Officers all the Case Studies and applicable extras they have to do to complete their 3rd and 4th phases.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

Stroke

I would agree with Eclypse; decide what requirements you have in your unit then standardize the folders for everyone. 

Currently, my squadron does not feel the need to keep paper records and maintains them "electronically".  I disagree with keeping only electronic records and am working to get this changed.  I feel that the records are not as accessable and easy to use. 

Has anyone done files and records completely electronically?  If so, how and was it successful?   
Humble - Credible - Approachable

Eclipse

I'm working on a paperless record system that would have a centrally located online file system, but its still in brain stage.

So far we haven't been able to find anything that requires original or hard copy - even pilot records are copies, so with a little planning, a scanner, and something that makes .PDF's, its not that big a deal.

Once done, you could literally email your SUI to the evaluator.

"That Others May Zoom"

stratoflyer

This information had been extremely useful. Thanks all.

On electronic records, um, you just do what? Get a folder with a person's name on it and stuff it with pdf's? Sounds good but I personally would still like to see my paper folder. I guess I'm old fashioned that way.

Eclipse

Quote from: stratoflyer on January 29, 2009, 02:33:19 AM

On electronic records, um, you just do what? Get a folder with a person's name on it and stuff it with pdf's? Sounds good but I personally would still like to see my paper folder. I guess I'm old fashioned that way.

That's all that the personnel records really are today, and with all that is tracked online, those records, even the pilot jackets, are getting thinner each year.

But no, not just a jumble of random .pdf's.

For a paperless record system to be of any real value it has to have a standardized structure, file naming convention, indexing ability, and centralized, probably web-based, availability.

Not remotely rocket science, but it needs some sit-down and white-board time to lock it down.  Once in place, it should run itself, and there's no reason that the basic 6-part hardcopy schema couldn't be used as the basis of the system.

I also intend it to be supplemented by SIMS, which would be the primary storage for most information.

"That Others May Zoom"

davedove

I maintain that EVERY member should keep their own personal file IN ADDITION TO the units personnel file.  That way if anything happens to one of the files, there are copies available.

If you like a paper file, keep one for yourself at home.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Quote from: davedove on January 29, 2009, 12:55:51 PM

I maintain that EVERY member should keep their own personal file IN ADDITION TO the units personnel file.  That way if anything happens to one of the files, there are copies available.

I agree - whether one of the hiccups that the WMU / eServices has had, or a less than benevolent trasnfer, having your own copies is the way to go.

Whenever I sign something that starts or ends with my desk, the member gets a copy.

"That Others May Zoom"

stratoflyer

I know that the senior member master record was updated but is there a way I can get one that is like the old ones- one big cardboard?

Pylon

Quote from: stratoflyer on January 29, 2009, 02:45:17 PM
I know that the senior member master record was updated but is there a way I can get one that is like the old ones- one big cardboard?

If you order new ones from NHQ via the Form 8 in E-Services, they'll send you the pre-printed "pink" senior member master records on heavy cardstock.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jeders

Quote from: cjrousseau on January 28, 2009, 08:26:49 PM
I would agree with Eclypse; decide what requirements you have in your unit then standardize the folders for everyone. 

Currently, my squadron does not feel the need to keep paper records and maintains them "electronically".  I disagree with keeping only electronic records and am working to get this changed.  I feel that the records are not as accessable and easy to use. 

Has anyone done files and records completely electronically?  If so, how and was it successful?   

Well, senior records anyways. Cadet records are still kept on paper, though we've been urged to use the cadet promotions module of eServices more and more.

As far as the origianl question, I think national had some sort of formatting guide for cadet records. I threw that out the second I took over as DCC in two squadrons now and went with what works for me. Decide what you need and do that, but always remember KISS, keep it simple stupid.

EDIT:
Quote from: Eclipse on January 29, 2009, 01:53:49 PM
Quote from: davedove on January 29, 2009, 12:55:51 PM

I agree - whether one of the hiccups that the WMU / eServices has had, or a less than benevolent trasnfer, having your own copies is the way to go.

Whenever I sign something that starts or ends with my desk, the member gets a copy.

I can't agree with this more. I still have my cadet files from 8 years ago when I joined. Always keep a copy of your records, no matter how minor it is. This saves so much trouble.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Major Carrales

Quote from: jeders on January 29, 2009, 06:51:17 PMWell, senior records anyways. Cadet records are still kept on paper, though we've been urged to use the cadet promotions module of eServices more and more.

Cadet records, en re promotion, have been kept on line a while now via the "cadet promotions" module and the rest has been in "e-servoces member report" for a while before that.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

teesquared

I've been a personnel officer for about 4 years. My filing strategy(?) is "chronological", i.e, the latest piece of paper gets stuffed in the front of the folder. I maintain only the senior records (the cadet group keeps their own), and in 4 years I can only remember 3 or 4 times I've had to access the records to retrieve any info. Mostly they just reside in a file box. I do preach to our folks that they should keep copies of all their own documents.
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

Cecil DP

Quote from: teesquared on February 05, 2009, 06:58:07 PM
I've been a personnel officer for about 4 years. My filing strategy(?) is "chronological", i.e, the latest piece of paper gets stuffed in the front of the folder. I maintain only the senior records (the cadet group keeps their own), and in 4 years I can only remember 3 or 4 times I've had to access the records to retrieve any info. Mostly they just reside in a file box. I do preach to our folks that they should keep copies of all their own documents.

In addition to keeping their own records, The squadron gets the copies-The originals should go to the member. When I was the Personnel Officer I would ask everyone to review their records at least annually in their renewal month. That way they can verify that the records are correct or we could fix them at that time.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Gunner C

Quote from: Cecil DP on February 06, 2009, 12:31:12 AM
When I was the Personnel Officer I would ask everyone to review their records at least annually in their renewal month. That way they can verify that the records are correct or we could fix them at that time.

Great idea!