Against regulations ?? Help not sure if should do something

Started by sploding, March 10, 2016, 05:30:09 AM

sploding

At my squadron we've recently aqquired enough  cadets to make two flights, keep in mind that at my squadron our oldest enlisted cadets as far as experience go are 1 tech sgt who had done encampment 1 staff sgt who hasn't completed encampment 3 senior airmen who are almost ssgts (including me) with me having done encampment and two A1Cs close to SRA who have done encampment and a lot of airmen and airmen basics.now out chain of command decided flight positions not on qualification but on feelings so now we have 1 chief who had done encampment is a flight commander 1 senior airman who hansnt been to encampment is a flight commander 1ssgt as a flight sgt and 1 cadet who made airman the week before as a flight sgt so now we have 1 tech sgt,two almost staff sgt and 2 almost SRA s with encampment as in flights. I would like to know if there is any regulation regarding assignment of flight positions so I can show it to my chain of command because the way the set up the flights feels like a big FU to the older cadets who have more experience.

lordmonar

Appointment to leadership positions is at the discretion of the commander of deputy commander for cadets.

One should appoint the most qualified cadet for the position.

If you have a problem with appointments.....the correct way to handle it, is to take it up your chain to the Commander or Deputy Commander for Cadets.   Respectfully explain your position and ask....respectfully for feed back on how to meet their expectations.

Waving a reg in the air and demanding a position is not necessarily the best way of going about it.

Not knowing a single thing about your unit......the older more experienced cadets may be lacking in something needed.

Of course....if after talking with your commander you are still not satisfied you can take it up the chain of command for redress.

The key....is to be respectful, listen, and don't blow a gasket and burn any bridges.

Good luck.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

foo

Quote from: sploding on March 10, 2016, 05:30:09 AM
At my squadron we've recently aqquired enough  cadets to make two flights, keep in mind that at my squadron our oldest enlisted cadets as far as experience go are 1 tech sgt who had done encampment 1 staff sgt who hasn't completed encampment 3 senior airmen who are almost ssgts (including me) with me having done encampment and two A1Cs close to SRA who have done encampment and a lot of airmen and airmen basics.now out chain of command decided flight positions not on qualification but on feelings so now we have 1 chief who had done encampment is a flight commander 1 senior airman who hansnt been to encampment is a flight commander 1ssgt as a flight sgt and 1 cadet who made airman the week before as a flight sgt so now we have 1 tech sgt,two almost staff sgt and 2 almost SRA s with encampment as in flights. I would like to know if there is any regulation regarding assignment of flight positions so I can show it to my chain of command because the way the set up the flights feels like a big FU to the older cadets who have more experience.

It's not against the regulations per se, but the program is well defined and none of you should be Flight Commander until Phase III. I can say that without knowing any of you because it's not about any specifc cadet, it's about the wisdom of the program.

Quote from: Cadet Staff Handbook (P52-15)
Tailoring the Challenge

This principle of tying leadership skill, rank, and position together is all
about providing a tailor-made leadership challenge for each cadet.
However, this may result in the squadron needing to keep some staff
positions vacant. For example, if the ranking cadet is an airman, their
position still should be limited to element leader because we want to
match them with a job that is appropriate for their leadership skill and
rank – it would be premature to appoint that cadet as cadet commander.
If the ranking cadet is a master sergeant, that cadet could serve as
flight sergeant or first sergeant, but higher positions like flight commander
and cadet commander should remain vacant.

By assigning cadets to positions that match their rank and skill, we
ensure each cadet has a leadership challenge that is appropriate.
Further, by keeping high positions vacant until cadets achieve rank
commensurate with the positions, we give the ranking cadet(s) additional
challenges to strive towards and a reason to pursue promotions.
As the cadets advance in CAP and mature as leaders, they can gradually
be promoted into higher positions on the cadet staff.

These things take time. Stay involved and keep working on your achievements, and you will be given positions of responsibility in due course. Prove yourself and encourage your fellow cadets.

AirAux

CAPR 20-1

PART IV−CADET POSITION DESCRIPTIONS
Unit commanders should keep cadet positions vacant until such time as the cadets obtain appropriate grade and maturity. Please refer to CAPP 52-15 for more detailed position descriptions and common cadet staff organizational structures.
Cadet Commander
Suggested cadet grades: C/Maj through C/Col
Commands the cadet squadron and performs duties related to cadet positions. They shall:
Establish plans and procedures to accomplish the policies established by the unit commander.
Coordinate cadet staff activities.
Direct cadet staff officers.
Coordinate with senior staff
Serves as liaison between senior and cadet staff.
Ensure compliance with CAP directives.
Make personnel assignment recommendations.
Monitor cadet staff compliance with Cadet Protection policies.
The cadet commander should be familiar with CAP directives as listed in CAPP 52-15 and CAPR 52-16.

Cadet Deputy Commander
Suggested cadet grades: C/Maj through C/Lt Col
Assists the cadet commander in the performance of his duties to include:
Plans and procedures.
Recommendations for cadet personnel assignments.
Inspections.
Evaluation of cadet program meetings.
Direction and supervision of cadet staff.
Related duties as required.
The cadet deputy commander should be familiar with CAP directives as listed in CAPP 52-15 and CAPR 52-16.

Cadet Executive Officer
Suggested cadet grades: C/Maj through C/Lt Col
Assists the cadet commander and deputy commander in administering cadet squadron activities. They shall:
48 CAPR 20-1 2 JANUARY 2013
Manage cadet affairs.
Direct and supervise cadet staff.
Coordinate cadet staff activities.
Perform related duties as required.
The cadet executive officer should be familiar with directives as listed in CAPP 52-15 and CAPR 52-16.

Cadet Aerospace Education Officer
Suggested cadet grades: C/2d Lt through C/Lt Col
Assists the senior member aerospace education officer in directing the cadet aerospace education program, to include:
Aerospace education instruction.
Review of subject matter with cadets.
Aerospace education laboratories.
The aerospace education officer should be familiar with CAP directives as listed in CAPP 52-15 , CAPR 52-16 and directives listed in this regulation for the senior member aerospace education officer.

Cadet Operations Officer
Assists the senior member operations officer (composite squadron) in the performance of his/her duties, to include:
Implementation of higher headquarters directives.
Preparation of reports.
Coordination with other cadet staff sections.
Utilization and control of aircraft and equipment.
Direction of cadet participation in squadron operations.
The cadet operations officer should be familiar with CAP directives as listed in CAPP 52-15, CAPR 52-16 and directives listed in this regulation for the senior member operations officer.

Cadet Communications Officer
Assists the senior member communications officer (composite squadron) in the performance of his/her duties, to include:
Operation of squadron net control stations.
Administration.
CAPR 20-1 2 JANUARY 2013 49
Communications training.
Communications supply.
The cadet communications officer should be familiar CAP Directives as listed in CAPP 52-15, CAPR 52-16 and directives listed in this regulation for the senior member communication officer.

Cadet Flight Commander
Suggested cadet grades: C/2d Lt through C/Capt
Directs and supervises the members of a cadet flight to include:
Leadership of flight in squadron activities.
Leadership laboratory to include proper wear of CAP uniform, military courtesy and discipline, drill, ceremonies and formations.
Advisor to flight members.
The cadet flight commander should be familiar with CAP directives as listed in CAPP 52-15 and CAPR 52-16

Cadet First Sergeant
Suggested cadet grades: C/MSgt through C/CMSgt
Assists the cadet commander in the performance of his/her duties, to include:
Lead and organize military drill.
Safeguard CAP facilities and property.
Maintenance of discipline
Related duties as required
The cadet flight sergeant should be familiar with CAP directives as listed in CAPP 52-15 and CAPR 52-16

Cadet Flight Sergeant
Suggested cadet grades: C/SSgt through C/CMSgt
Assists the cadet flight commander in the performance of his/her duties, to include:
Inspections.
Instructions in military courtesy and drill.
50 CAPR 20-1 2 JANUARY 2013
Maintenance of discipline.
Flight administration and personnel matters.
Flight commander (acting).
The cadet flight sergeant should be familiar with CAP directives as listed in CAPP 52-15.

Cadet Element Leader
Suggested cadet grades: C/A1C through C/TSgt
Responsible for the supervision and training of the cadet element, to include:
Satisfactory performance during formations and ceremonies.
Military bearing.
Morale.
The cadet squad leaders should be familiar with CAP directives as listed in CAPP 52-15.

CHARLES L. CARR, JR.
Major General, CAP
Commander

Garibaldi

It's the age-old conundrum...you can't get the job without experience, and you can't get experience without doing the job.

So, how do you overcome this obstacle?

Simple. If you are in a flight sergeant's job, and are promotable to Mitchell and your C/2LT pips, talk to your DCC or cadet commander for some mentoring. If you are in a flight, and want to be an element leader, observe the people around you. Learn their job before you apply. Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezey.

For the higher-up positions, such as vacant XO or CC, I would study the guide AirAux posted. I would imagine a high-speed, low drag unit with a vacancy wouldn't fill the positions with just anyone without a little career counseling. Let's face it - a lot of cadets have great leadership potential, and some have none. Getting that experience at a lower level, such as flight sergeant or element leader, learning how to lead, can help overcome this. But it's not a given. I've known cadets that stagnated at the lower-NCO level because they had little to no experience or drive. I've known cadets who blew through the program and did not learn a cussed thing.

Get with your CC or DCC early, or at one of your "promotion boards", and let them know your desired career choice. They can help. We are not in the business of setting cadets up for failure.

Just because a position is empty doesn't mean you fill it with inexperienced people, or people who aren't of the "proper" grade (i.e. cadet tech sergeant as cadet commander). BUT...but...that doesn't mean the cadet tech sergeant CAN'T take the reins as the senior NCO and learn what needs to be done when he's ready to get his Mitchell. S/he should work with the DCC or CC, who nominally should be the "cadet" commander, to learn and get the tools he needs for when that time comes.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

C/ID-073

My squadron is too small to have two flights, but we have enough officers and NCOs to have a support staff. My point is, you have to arrange your chain of command as you see fit and is reasonable.
The Cadet Staff Handbook (CAPP 52-15) in the ending pages has ways you can organize a squadron that is top heavy with officers, bottom heavy with airman, ect. I'd recommend something like what is on page 56. They have the senior structure, and then a first sergeant (your Chief), two flight sergeants, and then the three element leaders for each flight, and then the rest are your element members. That's how I would do it. I wouldn't make your chief a flight commander-I'd make him/her the first sergeant, but that's just me. Also I would make your Senior Airman and A1C's element leaders.
Do that until you get more cadet that are promoting and get experience, than you can change it as you go along. But again, you know your cadets, I don't, it needs to be arranged by what works best for the squadron.
Good luck! Hope I was helpful.
C/Capt. Kubik
Cadet Executive Officer
Idaho - Boise Composite Squadron

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 10, 2016, 04:57:28 PM
We are not in the business of setting cadets up for failure.

Which is good...since that is what CAP too often does with SM's.

I always tried to be encouraging to cadets in whatever squadron I was in, with the exception of the brief time I served in a senior squadron (and found I really missed the cadets).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011