Starting a (school) squadron?

Started by Holding Pattern, April 22, 2015, 10:15:37 PM

jnazars@yahoo.com

See now as I think about it, I live in the metro Detroit area. I can almost guarantee most of the community colleges would be open to the idea and might even be able to award some type of elective college credit towards it. See what could happen is, the first semester they come in, meet twice, maybe three times a week for an hour or two, just like any other community college class except this would be there orientation for CAP where they would normally learn what's learned and required for the first promotion. Upon passing the class they would pick/ be assigned a Wing somewhere in the area and would pick a job description and etc

jdh

In regards to the OP, see if you can get in touch with the Sheldon Cadet Squadron near Houston, TX (SWR-TX-802). They are a very large and very successful school based cadet squadron.

EDIT: Fat finger hit wrong number.

SarDragon

Quote from: jnazars@yahoo.com on May 30, 2015, 03:34:57 PM
Hypothetical question?

Is it possible to start a community college Wing?

Would the air force have an issue with it possibly competing with the AFROTC program? Cause here is my thought. The AF has high school ROTC which usually emphasizes on enlistment. Then at the 4 year institutions they have AFROTC which is for recruiting commissioned officers.

Well what if I'm going to a 2 year college because I want to fix cars, airplanes or weld or any other trade skill  but because of the tremendous competition within the AF not only would I not be able to become an officer because I would only have a 2 year degree but as a skilled laborer I could even have a difficult time advancing within the enlisted ranks. Maybe if something like this were to take off maybe it could help improve CAPs image within the rest of the military because more of their officers would have a degree. It wouldn't be a. 4 year degree but with it being an Auxiliary a 2 year degree should be sufficient for the officer rank.

Which enlisted ranks, CAP or USAF? Why do you think that's a problem?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret