Main Menu

Joining at 17?

Started by Strigon, July 31, 2014, 05:26:59 AM

Strigon

A preface: Throughout my life, I've been at a loss on what path to follow; I've been well off in many studies. Only recently have I decided to focus on computer oriented fields and professions over everything. I also believed that the military would benefit me both with tuition and lifestyle. I began looking for tech and engineering schools when the Air Force Academy now sits at the top of my list.

I've looked back at my indecision with scorn. I'm now 17 and a high school senior with a 3.1 gpa, 1600 sat score, no recent extracurriculars (the football program went down the drain after the director left and the non-athletic ones are very selective and mainly a popularity contest) or volunteer work, and questionable fitness.

I've made plans to improve my grades (no more slacking, no matter how much I hate the classes), to improve my fitness with a 14-week training schedule, and to join CAP.

Is it beneficial now to join junior CAP at 17? Or am I screwed beyond all repair, preparation, and hope?

Eclipse

As long as you can relax and accept the follower model for a bit,
which may include following other cadets younger then you,
4 years is plenty of time to take advantage of much or all CAP has to offer,
including attaining the highest cadet achievement.

Something learned much too late by nearly everyone - you're only young once,
but old forever.  Take advantage, or at least try, a little of everything while you can.

You're at an age where some doors will start opening and others will close.  Some close
temporarily to reopen later, or differently, and some will remain locked forever.

Bear that in mind when making decisions.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Simply stated...you're 17!  Nothing is beyond repair or beyond hope. 

That doesn't necessarily mean you'll get exactly what you think you want the way you want it; you may have to take the road less travelled to achieve your goals but that's the way life works.  Can CAP help in this process?  Sure, especially if you have no other extracurricular activities. 

CAP offers opportunity...it'll provide opportunities for experiences with plenty of learning along the way.  I tell cadets CAP is a leadership and learning lab.  That said, nothing will you achieve your goals more than your inner drive to do so. 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Angus

As the other posters have stated there will be some CAP cadet experiences you won't get, this is because some of them you age out of.  However other experiences will open there doors to you at the same time.  One thing I would suggest is after you get your grounding in the program offer to help at your unit with any IT needs.  You will also find other fantastic opportunities as well. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

AirAux

That Academy is looking for students.  Your grades are marginal.  Your SAT is great.  I would suggest you go ahead and apply for the Academy.  They also have a prep school at the Academy that takes students in and gives them a year of prep courses prior to going to the big boy academy.  I think you would qualify for that fairly easily.  If you can find a good CAP Squadron that works with cadets and at least go to one summer encampment that will help you quite a bit at the academy.  Don't burn your bridges.  A CAP endorsement will help you out.  Do check into the prep school at the Academy. The Academy has laison officers that work with CAP to find good candidates.  Follow your dreams.  Get off your butt and get into physical shape.  The Academy is a mile high and they run everywhere.  If you aren't in shape, it will kill you!!

Майор Хаткевич

And worst case scenario...life won't end if you don't get into the AFA. BTDT. Looking back now (at 24) to when I was 17...I'm a completely different person. I view the world differently. Most of life's "most important" decisions so far fall waaay beyond the 17 year old mark for me. Chin up, do your best, but don't for one second think that your a failure or your life is wasted if you don't get that ONE goal done.

Garibaldi

I was going to suggest the prep school, but AirAux beat me to it.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 31, 2014, 05:30:58 PM
And worst case scenario...life won't end if you don't get into the AFA. BTDT. Looking back now (at 24) to when I was 17...I'm a completely different person. I view the world differently. Most of life's "most important" decisions so far fall waaay beyond the 17 year old mark for me. Chin up, do your best, but don't for one second think that your a failure or your life is wasted if you don't get that ONE goal done.

Good point - something else that CAP can teach, and we don't stress enough, is that it can give you a small taste of military life
(stress the small), and in some cases that is enough to show someone it's not for them and they can move on to other, possibly related
fields or areas.

To some extent I think modern society tries to "bake in" life choices for young people far too early "go to the wrong day care and you'll never get into
college".   Having goals is important, but sometimes you just need to jump in and start trying things to find your fit.

"Doing" as in "something" is what is really important at 17.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

+1 on Eclipse's comments.

One of my cadets tried for the USNA - got academically deferred.  Big deal.  She is still headed to college, just elsewhere, but the idea of trying for the Academy helped her to focus a bit.

The Service academies aren't the 'be all and end all' that you might think; give CAP a try - like the man said, 'do something' is important at 17!  If it doesn't work for you...try something else!  Above all....

"...sometimes you just need to jump in and start trying things to find your fit...."

Good luck!

Strigon

Thanks for replying so quickly.

I have no issue following someone younger than myself. Many a time, I've had to lead a group years older than myself. So long as they have the experience and know-how to do their job and let me do mine, we'll be quick friends and effective members together.

I would be surprised if I wasn't suggested for the prep school (unless they fully rejected me). Even still, I'd like to take that extra year to get everything together and smooth out my rough subjects.

And still, if I don't make it, like what was said, it isn't the end of the world, it isn't the end of my life or academic career.
It's just life...and life finds ways to bite you in the ass and you just have to bite it back.
All in all, CAP still seems to be a good way to volunteer your time and have a good bit of fun.

GroundHawg

I have had two of my previous cadets get into the USMA and USCGA. One was a rock star student and cadet and she got accepted to the USCGA on the first shot. The other was awesome but not quite "there" he applied, was denied, enlisted, and was eventually accepted into the prep school after he completed basic. He was pulled from AIT and did a year at the prep school. He graduates USMA Class of 2015 next year.
The reason I tell you all this is so you realize that you can still do this, but it may not be on the timeline, or the way you want it to. If you are serious, you need to start applying yourself.
Now not later.

The CyBorg is destroyed

And if you do not get accepted to any of the service academies, and you have your heart set on an officer's career, there are other ways to do it.

Unless you go the Army Warrant Officer route, you will have to have a four-year degree.  I do not know about the Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Coast Guard, but what I know of the Air Force requirements/preferences, is that it be in a technical field - and load up on maths (that would have been my brick wall as I cannot even balance a chequebook).  Most of the larger, and some smaller, universities have ROTC.

Or, if you would join the Army or Air National Guard while in college (if you are interested in that, start talking to recruiters), there are ways to earn a commission while serving at your unit in an enlisted capacity.  However, that varies from state to state.

As far as I know, the Army Warrant Officer Corps is the only way you could walk in off the street without a four-year degree and earn officer rank - and that is as competitive as can be, from what I understand.

But, as others have rightly said, you are 17.  I only wish I could remember when I was 17.  There are so many things I did (or failed to do) at that age that have affected my life to this day.  Take the moment while you have it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SARDOC

To the OP.

The Air Force Academy is a great option if it's available to you.  There is also the U.S. Air Force Academy Preparatory School...if first you don't succeed, try and try again.  For any cadets looking into a Service School, I also suggest the United States Merchant Marine Academy...it's a great engineering school and when you graduate you contact officer recruiters for whatever branch of service you want to go into.

So graduating the USMMA, you graduate with an degree, and a Coast Guard License for which ever maritime focus you have in school.

You have the option of either going into the private maritime or intermodal industry with a Commission as an Ensign in the US Navy Reserve or you can Active Duty commission into any branch of the Armed Forces.

The USMMA doesn't get the attention it deserves.  I wish I knew about it when I was your age.

SARDOC

Quote from: CyBorg on August 03, 2014, 04:46:39 PM
And if you do not get accepted to any of the service academies, and you have your heart set on an officer's career, there are other ways to do it.

Unless you go the Army Warrant Officer route, you will have to have a four-year degree.  I do not know about the Army, Navy, Marine Corps or Coast Guard, but what I know of the Air Force requirements/preferences, is that it be in a technical field - and load up on maths (that would have been my brick wall as I cannot even balance a chequebook).  Most of the larger, and some smaller, universities have ROTC.

Or, if you would join the Army or Air National Guard while in college (if you are interested in that, start talking to recruiters), there are ways to earn a commission while serving at your unit in an enlisted capacity.  However, that varies from state to state.

As far as I know, the Army Warrant Officer Corps is the only way you could walk in off the street without a four-year degree and earn officer rank - and that is as competitive as can be, from what I understand.

But, as others have rightly said, you are 17.  I only wish I could remember when I was 17.  There are so many things I did (or failed to do) at that age that have affected my life to this day.  Take the moment while you have it.

I'm pretty sure the Army Warrant Officer program that takes people off the street is only for aviation candidates.  Other Warrant Officers have to be enlisted first.

The State OCS programs (if your state has one) usually requires just 90 college credits (you can't make Captain unless you have a Bachelor's degree and they can't get federal recognition until they have a degree).

The Navy also requires some kind of technical degree and it has to be a Bachelor of Science and not a Bachelor of Arts.