Joining CAP if already senior in high school

Started by sportygirl12, August 19, 2011, 08:38:49 PM

sportygirl12

I'm really interested the the Air Force as a career, either getting accepted to the academy or doing ROTC in college and a teammate of mine told me about CAP. I'd never really heard about it before but now am looking into it and it sounds right up my ally. But I'm already 17, going to be 18 in 3 months, does it even pay to start now? Will I be totally out of place there?

spacecommand

We've had cadets in the past join us late in the game, one joined right before they turned 18, but is a hard working cadet.  It really depends on your mindset into things and what you want to accomplish.  Some don't mind that their flight leaders and commanders are 3 years or so younger then they are.  Every person and unit is different.  Doesn't hurt to show up at a meeting and see whats up there.

Eclipse

First, if you want to join as a cadet, you need to do it before your 18th birthday.

As an 18 year old cadet, you will most likely be the oldest in most lines you stand in, most activities, and will have to take orders, at least initially. 
In some cases yo might be standing in formation with 12 years olds as our cadets range in age from 12-21.

You will, however, have opportunities as a cadet that won't be open to you if you joined as a senior.  The Mitchell, for example, would be well within your
reach before 21, and could help you greatly if decide to enlist in the service, especially the USAF or Army.

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

As Eclipse said, you must join before you turn 18, but once you are in you can remain a cadet until your 21st birthday, and that is more than enough time to accomplish some valuable things.

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2011, 08:46:08 PM
First, if you want to join as a cadet, you need to do it before your 18th 19th birthday.

Fixed that for you. I studied this issue closely a few years ago and this is what I found out. Knowledgebase

QuoteFor cadets, all individuals that apply for cadet membership must be at least 12 years of age regardless of the school grade they are attending and not yet 19 to join as cadets. Cadets who become members before their 19th birthday may retain their cadet status until they reach 21 years of age. Senior membership is optional for all cadets at age 18.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Wasn't there a topic that said you can join until 18 years 364 days?

It's literally before you are 19, as you can join THROUGH your 18th year.

My personal take on it as a former cadet (Joined at 13, college took me away at 18).

If you plan on going to college next year, and it's not close to home, I would give it a try. It will give you a chance to cover some basics. It will prepare you at least somewhat for ROTC. Maybe you can even try to attend a squadron around the college. But at that time I recommend focusing on school more so than CAP.

P.S. pppft. What I get for opening a bunch of tabs and not F5ing the page before reading/posting...

titanII

I have a somewhat related question. Could he join as a Senior Member after his 18th birthday? What is the minimum age to join as a Senior Member?
No longer active on CAP talk

spacecommand

Yes they can join as a senior member at 18, but it depends on what their goals are.  A senior member cannot get a Mitchell award, but a cadet who does join has a good shot at getting the Mitchell award before they are 21, which can be beneficial if they go the enlisted route if ROTC/Academies don't pan out.

titanII

Quote from: spacecommand on August 19, 2011, 09:45:01 PM
Yes they can join as a senior member at 18, but it depends on what their goals are.  A senior member cannot get a Mitchell award, but a cadet who does join has a good shot at getting the Mitchell award before they are 21, which can be beneficial if they go the enlisted route if ROTC/Academies don't pan out.
Thank you!

Eclipse

There's also things like encampments, NCSA's, IACE, RCLS, COS, and other activities where as a cadet you are the focus, but as a senior you are staff.

There's a lot you could do in 3 years if you are motivated.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2011, 10:07:21 PMThere's a lot you could do in 3 years if you are motivated.
Like earn the Mitchell Award. Which is the milestone that gets you something in the Air Force, and Army, IIRC. Perhaps another, too. The Marines don't acknowledge it, but it will still make you a better Marine.

You need to do at least one Encampment, and it may mean putting up with 14 year olds being "in your face", ... remember, it's just a week. Deal with it, move on. :) Or find an encampment that doesn't try to model itself after Full Metal Jacket in PG.

titanII

Quote from: a2capt on August 20, 2011, 06:03:06 AM
Or find an encampment that doesn't try to model itself after Full Metal Jacket in PG.
;D I think that FMJ in PG might be sort of like that Geico commercia with R. Lee Ermey...

Flying Pig

Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 19, 2011, 09:15:47 PM

My personal take on it as a former cadet (Joined at 13, college took me away at 18).

If you plan on going to college next year, and it's not close to home, I would give it a try. It will give you a chance to cover some basics. It will prepare you at least somewhat for ROTC. Maybe you can even try to attend a squadron around the college. But at that time I recommend focusing on school more so than CAP.

P.S. pppft. What I get for opening a bunch of tabs and not F5ing the page before reading/posting...

No.  Its when you turn 18, not including 18.

Sporty

it depends on your time frame.  Do you have a couple years to stay a cadet or are you looking into moving on pretty quickly after you turn 18? 
Most may not agree with me, but I would say at 18, you'll be out of place.  But a lot depends on who you are.  Youll be learning uniform wear and marching with the younger 13,14,15 yr old new cadets.  If you want to get into CAP, I would encourage you to join as a Senior and get into the adult program.  At least that way you can get into Emergency Services, maybe get in as an aircrew member.  It still looks good on a resume.  And you'd be more that welcome Im sure to still sit in on the drill, uniform and customs and courtesies courses the cadets go through. 

Best thing, go to the unit you would join and see what they offer and have that particular unit assist you with your decision based on what is offered in your area.  You may be in an area where the cadet program is dead with nothing going on.  In that case, being a cadet would be much help.

davidsinn

Quote from: Flying Pig on August 20, 2011, 03:54:43 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on August 19, 2011, 09:15:47 PM

No.  Its when you turn 18, not including 18.

No, it's not. See my post above. In your 18th year you have the choice to be a senior member or a cadet.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: davidsinn on August 20, 2011, 04:13:43 PM
No, it's not. See my post above. In your 18th year you have the choice to be a senior member or a cadet.

Something else we need to fix.  We should not be allowing cadets to join after an age considered to be "adult".  A fine line, but we need a line somewhere.
Bad enough if you join at 17.999, but at 18.999, your odds for much success are going to be pretty limited.

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

Limited but not all gone, depends on the person.  Like I mentioned, in our unit we had one who join in at 17 right before they turned 18 (now 19), they go to a local college and they are one of the hardest working cadets we have, very professional and does not mind taking commands from younger cadets and executing the missions.

It's all about the mindset and what you hope to accomplish.

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on August 20, 2011, 04:22:43 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on August 20, 2011, 04:13:43 PM

Something else we need to fix.  We should not be allowing cadets to join after an age considered to be "adult".  A fine line, but we need a line somewhere.
Bad enough if you join at 17.999, but at 18.999, your odds for much success are going to be pretty limited.

I agree but it's the current reality.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Flying Pig

But if your already 18 and you try to do an initial membership, you have to join as a Senior right?  If that is wrong, than CAP did a BAAAAD job clarifying that.  I have always known it to be that way.

Personally as a SqCC if I had a member come in who was within a couple months of 18, I always pushed them towards senior.  I had one guy who was 2 weeks from 18.  I told him he had to join as a Senior if he was joining my unit.  He did and last I talked to him he is quite happy.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Flying Pig

I never understood it as "through"  always once you turned 18.  Hmmmm....OK, learn something new everyday.  So really, you can join CAP as a cadet up to but not including 19 then.