Cadet Executive Officer

Started by Briski, March 19, 2005, 08:05:10 PM

Briski

Anyone have advice for a future Encampment C/XO?

Please? ;D
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

whatevah

well, it depends on what your position actually does at your encampment... :)

Some C/XOs do a LOT of work every day, others I'm sure just hang out with the C/CC.

Re-read the encampment training manual (available on the NYWG Encampment site) and pay attention to the duties of the Executive staff positions and look through the related manuals so you know what they need to be doing.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Horn229

Don't micro-manage your staff
Don't not be there for 'em
Don't always hang out with the C/CC and C/CD
Don't be afraid to help them if they've got a lot of work to do
Don't let them sit around and goof off infront of trainee's
Don't be afraid to give them demeits/merits (if you do them at your encampment)

Do Have Fun
Do be someone they can come up to for help/advice

With that comment about not hanging out with the C/CC and C/CD, if you're always with them and never see your staff, that is a great way to lose their respect. I saw it a few years ago, and made sure I didn't do it last year. Oh, and you'll learn during encampment, that it's not really the "Top 3" it's more of the Top 2 and the XO, the C/CC and C/CD always focus on the Squadrons and their training, you will always need to focus on the behind the scenes work. So don't get to upset if it seems like in some meetings that you're being allienated ('cause you will be  ;) ).

And with that, Good Luck. ;D
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Briski

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Just to fill you in on the way it'll work, I'll have four Cadets reporting directly to me, in the sections of Logistics, Training, Public Affairs, and Communications. Each of these Cadets will have an assistant, except for the Logistics Officer, who will be in charge of the Cadet Transportation Officer and the Cadet Supply Officer. Each Cadet will have a SM counterpart who will act as a mentor.

Now I have another question. What kind of training do you think would be beneficial for the members of the support staff? For instance, they don't really need a briefing on how the Basics will need to SOP their rooms, or how to counsel a homesick 12-year-old. I've got a few hours set aside for me to work with my staff at the Staff Training Weekend, and I just really don't want to waste their time.

Thanks again, in advance! :)
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

Da Big Daddy K

Quote from: Briski on March 19, 2005, 08:05:10 PM
Anyone have advice for a future Encampment C/XO?

Please? ;D

Cadet Briski I am sure you shall do a wonderful job as C/XO. You are a wonderful leader and your cadets shall have a great time under your command... ::)
BOHICA
The most one learns in the military is when one has no rank or responsibility so one can concentrate on learning