Cadet with Alcohol Misdemeanor

Started by Reacher, October 19, 2014, 12:31:58 AM

THRAWN

This has been barracks lawyered to death. CAP has a policy on this issue. Follow the policy or suffer the consequences.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Alaric

Quote from: THRAWN on June 30, 2015, 02:20:11 PM
This has been barracks lawyered to death. CAP has a policy on this issue. Follow the policy or suffer the consequences.

I agree, I was just pointing out that since the regulation cites "Cadets will not possess alcohol nor use any drugs that are prohibited under federal law, even if local law permits their use. " that we might want to look at the Federal law which clearly does not forbid the participation in Holy Communion and other religious rituals, the having a sip of dad's beer while watching the game at home, or even the working in a bar if one is of the appropriate age.

Eaker Guy

Storm Chaser,

Thanks for answering my question, directly or indirectly. :)

TheSkyHornet

Hopefully not bumping too old of a thread here

I haven't come across the experience yet (hopefully won't) of a potential cadet trying to enter the program with an existing record or developing a record while in the program. I've tried to stay extremely proactive with my cadets when it comes to talking about alcohol and substance use, especially since most of them are either close to entering or are in high school where they're starting to become exposed to those risks.

I make it an unofficial policy for myself to talk to my cadets and get an understanding of where they want to go once they get out of high school. Sure, many of them are young and don't really know what they want to do, and a lot of them throw around the "military" response without much thought because they're at an age where they don't necessarily know what that actually means outside of CAP and movies. But I try to emphasize the importance of personal responsibility and making sure they understand that the military will not tolerate substance use records. I've even told them that worrying about whether they can stay in CAP or not is the least of their problems when it comes to that subject. They're putting their college careers and military careers at serious risk, and it's not a joke with the military.

Sometimes I get the feeling that some of our senior members think our cadets are too young to address those subjects, ranging from 12 to 17. Being 26, and the closest senior in age to the cadets, that's exactly when they'll start getting into that stuff if they don't have guidance.

Flying Pig

I was a cadet for 6 years.  87-93.  Believe me.... most cadets were far beyond what most of the Seniors thought they could handle.  In 2015......  Now with my own 14 and 16 yr old, I am continually surprised (or disappointed) at their level of understanding of the dark underbelly of life.    If someone thinks you are protecting cadets by just not talking about something as simple as alcohol then you need to spend some more time with teens.   Anyone ever hear of a Facebook party?  I have spent the last 17 years breaking up parties...... and the things I have seen would make most adults blush.  Id venture to guess most cadets already know all about it.  Whether they are involved or not.   High Schools having prostitution rings busted up by the police.... happens more than most people think.  And they arent limited to "inner city" schools.    When i worked as an School Resource Officer at a 3500 student school, I couldnt wait to get out on the street and back into the hood.  Chasing dopers and gangsters was way easier.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 10, 2015, 12:43:15 PM
If someone thinks you are protecting cadets by just not talking about something as simple as alcohol then you need to spend some more time with teens.

Highly agree with you there. I think some of our seniors, some with teenage children and some with children all grown up and out of college, they've either become so helicopter-parent-ish that they don't want to recognize the potential for even the "good" kids to get involved in some nasty habits. It seems like some of our cadets whose parents are either seniors are come around often are somewhat secluded from talking with those adults because as a teenager nobody wants their parents meddling in their personal lives.

I've been told by some of the older cadets (16-18) it helps that I'm younger and easier to relate with when talking about stuff. We have seniors who are 20 and 22 that they feel are completely unapproachable with their family ties in the unit. It's not about being secretive. It's about respecting their privacy if they have a problem and addressing it appropriately if it needs to go further.

Our squadron's way of addressing alcohol and cadet protection has historically been "Look out for your wingman" without any hindrance to "Look out for yourself," at least how I see it. I'm much more open on the subject. You can't talk about alcohol without using the word "alcohol" just as much as you can't talk about sexual harassment without the word "sex."

Flying Pig

Quote from: SM/McNeilly on July 10, 2015, 12:54:49 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on July 10, 2015, 12:43:15 PM
If someone thinks you are protecting cadets by just not talking about something as simple as alcohol then you need to spend some more time with teens.

you can't talk about sexual harassment without the word "sex."

Cant you just raise an eyebrow and whisper... "You know... the thingy. " wink wink.   Although that probably violates a law somewhere.   :o

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Flying Pig on July 10, 2015, 05:23:21 PM
Cant you just raise an eyebrow and whisper... "You know... the thingy. " wink wink.   Although that probably violates a law somewhere.   :o

Totally just spit water all over the my work keyboard

PA Guy

Didn't we sufficiently beat this topic to death in the previous 15 pages of comments?

Flying Pig

Theres always room for a joke that skirts the grey areas

blackrain

My hope is we keep the thread going until the original subject of the thread graduates college/medical school etc........now that would be funny. I'll be the first to send said individual a nice bottle of Scotch >:D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Flying Pig

Did we ever find out what even happened?

Thonawit

I was promised breakfast burritos by our squadron DCC...

Regularly contradicts, contradicted CAP Regulations...

Flying Pig

Yeah Yeah Yeah.....Its a discussion forum, who cares.  It will die out eventually.  Just have fun with it

Luis R. Ramos

Do ya think that Mexican burritos are made from horse meat?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Flying Pig

Hmmmmm....... NOW it gets interesting

Thonawit

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 12, 2015, 04:07:05 PM
Do ya think that Mexican burritos are made from horse meat?

Actually kind of tastes like Chicken... The Red is on the warm side today.

PETA stopped the horse meat slaughter house for opening in Roswell, or maybe is was the Space aliens...

My 2 cents on the subject, it is situation based and cases like this need to be treated based on the situation.

Luis R. Ramos

Horse meat?

...tastes like chicken!

Muskrat?

...tastes like chicken!

Snake?

...tastes like chicken!

Squirrel?

...tastes like chicken!

Anything else?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 12, 2015, 09:58:01 PM
Horse meat?

...tastes like chicken!

Muskrat?

...tastes like chicken!

Snake?

...tastes like chicken!

Squirrel?

...tastes like chicken!

Anything else?

Too bad the "chicken" doesn't taste like chicken anymore! >:D

Thonawit

Bear does not taste like chicken.