Flying with a HUMS or other data recorder? NASA needs your help?

Started by MikeD, April 16, 2009, 03:20:05 AM

MikeD

Is anyone flying for an organization that has a HUMS or some other type of data recorder?  The Integrated Vehicle Health Management project, under Fundamental Aeronautics/Aviation Safety Program, is looking for as much data as we can get our hands on.  We can treat data as full SBU/ITAR, we would prefer data that we could make publicly available to industry and university researchers, but we'll take what we can get. 

If you think you might able to help, please PM me with your contact details. 

Thanks,
Mike

desertengineer1

Mike, I'm curous on something.  Being in the center of the FT universe, this should be easy to get over there.   Are they looking for raw flight data of any kind, or of HUMS specific nature?

There are probably a hundred flight test programs around you who use MIL-STD-1553 or ARINC instrumentation, easily parsed into whatever form your program might need.  The 416th or 419th would be my first stop.

Just curious.  I'm buried so deep in flight data I dream about it at night.

But working for a contractor, I couldn't share it without major approvals.  You would have much better luck visiting the Test Squadrons.  Surely there's something they could do?

MikeD

My center alone has some ungodly amount of data over the years, and the test squadrons have tons as
well.  What we really need are:

1) "Fleet" Data, particularly for fleets where size > 4. 
2) "Open" data, if at all possible.

That said, the data mining guys want as much as we can get.  I think they won't be happy until they have a copy of all data ever collected...  ;)

Also, there's a big difference between test aircraft and fleet aircraft, both in terms of instrumentation and use patterns, plus maintenance/health for the test birds is arguably different.  Showing we can work with fleet/production data and use will be a big step forward.