Basic, Senior and Master EMT/Paramedic Badge

Started by IrishFireFIghter25, November 30, 2009, 02:34:16 PM

IrishFireFIghter25

I've seen this topic before but its always split 1/2 yes and 1/2 not yet. Are the new Basic, Senior and Master EMT badge in effect yet or no? I have seen plenty of people wearing them but can't find it in 39-1 (which we all know is not up to date) or any memorandums. Does anyone have any official documentation showing this? (Yes I've seen the power point by Susie Parker, OFFICIAL documentation)

flyerthom

TC

BlueLakes1

I sent a knowledgebase in about this some time ago, and the reply that I got was that since the NB approved it, and it was in the NB minutes, that was adequate approval to wear. I have not seen a formal ICL or a change to any regulation that approves it since then.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

CadetProgramGuy

From the knowledgebase:

Yes. Upon satisfactory completion of a US DOT EMT/Paramedic Training Course or approved equivalent, members may wear the EMT badge or patch meeting the requirements in CAPM 39-1 CAP Uniform Manual.  Provide a copy of your completion certificate to your professional development officer for entry in your records.

See CAPM 39-1 Table 6-2. Authorized Badges and Devices, and Proper Placement on the Service Uniform
Specialty Insignia (Chaplain, Legal, Medical, EMT, Ground Team)
Men: centered 1/2 inch above the left breast pocket or 1/2 inch above ribbons. Women: centered 1/2 inch above top row of ribbons; when no ribbons are worn, positioned on the left side of the blouse or coat, 1/2 inch above imaginary row of ribbons. If the wearer is also authorized to wear a CAP aviation badge, the specialty insignia will be worn 1/2 inch beneath the wings, except the chaplain insignia which is worn above the aviation badge.

Table 6-4. Wear of Badges, Patches, and Devices on Flight Suits, BDUs, Utility Uniforms and Field Uniforms.
Specialty Insignia (Chaplain, Legal, Medical, EMT, Ground Team)  embroidered in white cotton thread centered 1/2-inch above the cloth "Civil Air Patrol" tape worn over the left breast pocket of BDU, field uniform and BDU or dark blue field jacket, 1/2 inch below aviation badge.  EXCEPTION: chaplain insignia is worn 1/2 inch  above the aviation badge.

wingnut55

LOOK IN THE REGS

MUST BE CURRENT EMT

I got my EMT in 1977, I cannot wear it any more.

Eclipse

Quote from: wingnut55 on December 24, 2009, 09:35:03 AM
LOOK IN THE REGS

MUST BE CURRENT EMT

Cite please - must be current for issue, but like all other badges, once you get it you can wear it for life.

"That Others May Zoom"

wacapgh

With one exception that I can find - the CPR patch

CAPM 39-1 23 MARCH 2005, TABLE 6-4
NOTES:
1. Any nationally recognized patch awarded by a certifying agency (Heart Association, American Red
Cross, etc.) upon completion of a CPR training course. Patch will be removed when no longer
current.

Unless there's an ICL or board minute I've overlooked, this is the only patch in the reg. that must be removed when no longer current.

EMT-83

Why on earth would anyone who's not a current EMT wear an EMT badge?

I can see it now... here's an EMT to help you, sir. Oh, never mind.

Ned

Quote from: EMT-83 on December 24, 2009, 07:57:33 PM

I dunno.

Maybe the same reason non-current pilots wear their earned wings?

Or a retired physician still wears her caduceus?

Retired soldeirs wearing jump wings?

Someone who is not longer active in CP still wearing their CP badge?

Probably as many reasons as there are badge-wearers.

Slim

Quote from: wacapgh on December 24, 2009, 06:54:58 PM
With one exception that I can find - the CPR patch

CAPM 39-1 23 MARCH 2005, TABLE 6-4
NOTES:
1. Any nationally recognized patch awarded by a certifying agency (Heart Association, American Red
Cross, etc.) upon completion of a CPR training course. Patch will be removed when no longer
current.

Unless there's an ICL or board minute I've overlooked, this is the only patch in the reg. that must be removed when no longer current.

Prior to the EMT/medic badge, we were allowed to wear any patch depicting the star of life, with the same caveat; it must be removed when no longer current.

Personally, as one who wears the badge, I think that same caveat should have carried over to the new badge.  But that's just me.  If I let my license go for whatever reason, my badge will come off and be replaced by my GTM badge.

Slim

BlueLakes1

Quote from: Ned on December 24, 2009, 08:35:38 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on December 24, 2009, 07:57:33 PM

I dunno.

Maybe the same reason non-current pilots wear their earned wings?

Or a retired physician still wears her caduceus?

Retired soldeirs wearing jump wings?

Someone who is not longer active in CP still wearing their CP badge?

Probably as many reasons as there are badge-wearers.

I think that the main difference is that (in my state at least), if a person's EMT or paramedic certificate/license (paramedics are licensed here) expires, they are legally forbidden from identifying themselves as such. A retired physician is still a "doctor" based on their medical degree, whether or not they continue to practice. Of course, that may vary state to state.

YMMV, of course.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Thrashed

I'm sorry you're bleeding to death, but I cannot help you.  My certification has expired.  I now know nothing. Have a nice day. :D

Save the triangle thingy

RiverAux

I don't have a (big) problem with CAP members wearing CAP badges that they've earned in the past but are no longer current in, but for something like this I think it should only be worn when current.  For one, the badge is based on non-CAP criteria and if the issuing agency would no longer call this person an EMT, we shouldn't either by letting them wear an EMT badge on their CAP uniform.  Additionally, the badge implies that they are able to provide a certain level of care and while they may still retain a lot of the knowledge of an EMT, they would not legally be able to perform a lot of specific actions that EMTs are authorized to do. 

EMT-83

Quote from: Thrash on January 03, 2010, 02:19:22 PM
I'm sorry you're bleeding to death, but I cannot help you.  My certification has expired.  I now know nothing. Have a nice day. :D
It's not quite that simple. Of course an expired EMT (or any other halfway intelligent person) is going to take steps to save a life. Your knowledge doesn't just disappear with your certification.

However, someone who presents himself as being medically certified, when he isn't, can open a whole can of worms. Scary terms like duty to act and abandonment come to mind.

I know of someone who used to wear his girlfriend's EMT jacket, because he thought it was cool. It got pretty serious when he was sitting in a restaurant, with the jacket but minus the girlfriend, and there was a medical emergency.

... here's an EMT to help you, sir. Oh, never mind.

Ned

Quote from: RiverAux on January 03, 2010, 02:25:55 PM
I think it should only be worn when current.  For one, the badge is based on non-CAP criteria and if the issuing agency would no longer call this person an EMT, we shouldn't either by letting them wear an EMT badge on their CAP uniform. 
Kinda like a non-current pilot, wouldn't you agree?
Additionally, the badge implies that they are able to provide a certain level of care and while they may still retain a lot of the knowledge of an EMT, they would not legally be able to perform a lot of specific actions that EMTs are authorized to do.
Again, kinda like a non-current pilot.

or to put it medical paradigm, a retired physician wearing her caduceus.

Should our retired doctor be forced to remove her caduceus?

RiverAux

Perhaps the implication of my prior post didn't sink in, but I don't particularly like that you can wear any badge that you are no longer qualified for.  I just don't think it is a big deal for CAP-related badges such as pilot wings. 

But something like an EMT badge is a little different in my book.  Same goes for the Dr. symbol.  Yes, they should no longer have it on their uniform. 

If we don't let people no longer qualified to do CPR wear the CPR badge (which we probably don't need, but thats another story), why in the world would we want people with higher medical qualifications wear badges they are no longer qualified to wear? 

No one knows what CAP badges stand for, but these medical symbols are ones that are likely to be recognized by the general public.  By CAP authorizing their wear on our uniforms, it implies that we have certified that they are qualified to perform those duties and if they aren't it just makes us look stupid for implying that they are.

JayT

Quote from: Ned on January 03, 2010, 03:42:44 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 03, 2010, 02:25:55 PM
I think it should only be worn when current.  For one, the badge is based on non-CAP criteria and if the issuing agency would no longer call this person an EMT, we shouldn't either by letting them wear an EMT badge on their CAP uniform. 
Kinda like a non-current pilot, wouldn't you agree?
Additionally, the badge implies that they are able to provide a certain level of care and while they may still retain a lot of the knowledge of an EMT, they would not legally be able to perform a lot of specific actions that EMTs are authorized to do.
Again, kinda like a non-current pilot.

or to put it medical paradigm, a retired physician wearing her caduceus.

Should our retired doctor be forced to remove her caduceus?

Yees, but nobody is throwing a retired pilot the keys to a Cessna.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

kilnerd

This is an interesting concept because both arguments are valid. I wear earned badges that I am qualified to wear however, I understand the argument to remove them when you are no longer current. But the downside to this argument is with the obvious point with the doctors and pilots, were they qualified - yes  are they currently qualified - no. Now with that said assuming that they have not become completely incoherent in the last few years since they were current in their qualifications, could they perform the task if it were a necessity - I would think that they could - would they most likely use the most current tools - no but none the less if my choice were a retired doctor vs. no doctor, well I know which I am going to choose.
Dana Kilner, Capt, CAP

ZackN

I submitted a question about this myself, however have yet to receive an answer. Am I correct in assuming that the level of badge corresponds to your level of training?

EMT-Basic - EMT/Paramedic Badge

EMT-Intermediate - Senior EMT/Paramedic Badge

EMT-Paramedic - Master EMT/Paramedic Badge

???

Thanks

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: ZackN on January 20, 2010, 07:46:01 PM
I submitted a question about this myself, however have yet to receive an answer. Am I correct in assuming that the level of badge corresponds to your level of training?

EMT-Basic - EMT/Paramedic Badge

EMT-Intermediate - Senior EMT/Paramedic Badge

EMT-Paramedic - Master EMT/Paramedic Badge

???

Thanks

That is the current line of thinking, however when the new national scope comes out, there will have to be a re-thinking of this  process.