Main Menu

PT Uniforms

Started by MIKE, December 19, 2005, 11:38:43 PM

MIKE

I was thinking about the stuff I posted earlier this week in Cadet Grooming Standards... And a lot of that would tend to make you think you should be wearing a uniform when you are involved in most any cadet activity.  Here is my thought... If we are supposed to wear uniforms for cadet programs type stuff shouldn't we have a PT uniform?  Physical fitness is part of the cadet program after all.

Now I know what you are thinking so here it is for reference:

Quote from: CAPP 52-18You may want to have your cadets train and test in appropriate attire, such as shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers.
Cadets do not have to exercise in a CAP uniform. Still, commanders should not require cadets to purchase
special gear simply to participate in the program.

I was thinking that maybe it makes more sense to have cadets have at least the minimum basic service uniform and a set of PTs than it does for them to have BDUs for your average weekly cadet actvities...  That way you are in some sort of uniform for nearly every type of activity as the cadets can wear their PTs when it is impractical to wear blues, or for "hang out nights" when you need neither blues or BDUs.

I'm thinking that PTs could be more cost effective than the BDUs, taking in to consideration winter and summer versions like the military has... Provided we don't go with something 'spensive like the new USAF PTU.

My squadron usually does the CPFT in partial BDUs... Sneakers and usually sans the blouse indoors and when its not frickin freezing outside... Previous unit would either bring civie athletic clothes and change at the meeting or arrive in their PT gear and change later.

Just thinking... So what are your thoughts?
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on December 19, 2005, 11:38:43 PM
I was thinking... (truncated)...Just thinking... So what are your thoughts?

I personally like the idea of a squadron T-shirt and sweat pants/shorts and sneakers.  Everybody has some sort of athletic pants or shorts, and squadron t-shirts can be made reeeeaallly cheap through the DDR shirts program (which, before people start complaining they don't qualify for DDR funds, is available to ALL squadrons regardless).  The DDR shirts program can provide shirts screened with the squadrons logo for as low as 99 cents, and they can come on black, white, grey, or brown shirts.  Not too shabby.  Slap your squadron patch or mascot on there, buy 100 up front for less than a buck a piece, and sell a set for $2 to all new and current cadets.  BAM!  Instant PT and casual uniform, as well as good recruiting banner for kids who wear it at gym at school or wherever.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

shorning

If we are supposed to wear uniforms for cadet programs type stuff shouldn't we have a PT uniform?  Physical fitness is part of the cadet program after all.

Well, there is a uniform.  It's just a non-standard uniform.  The AF (and I think the Navy) both have that as a PT uniform policy right now.  Sure, the AF is moving towards a standardized uniform. 

That being said, I think it is a good idea to have a squadron (or better yet, wing) PT uniform.  As long as the cost was kept reasonable.

Eclipse

I'd recommend a squadron t-shirt with the CAP shorts.

For chillier days, if yo can afford it, the USAF running suit is a nice choice.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I think a standardized PT uniform looks great, but should not be required. It seems to be just another way for the cadets to spend money on stuff they will wear about once a week. I'd rather see them spend the bucks on an activity they will enjoy and learn from.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

footballrun21

My squadron usually does the CPFT in partial BDUs... Sneakers and usually sans the blouse indoors and when its not frickin freezing outside... Previous unit would either bring civie athletic clothes and change at the meeting or arrive in their PT gear and change later.

My squadron just comes in civie athletic clothes and we would just wear that the entire meeting.  It's not worth it to change when it's only a 2 hr. meeting.  We do PT the first half and the 2nd we come up with stuff to do (occasionally Moral leadership if the chaplain can't do it any other night, AE lesson, etc.).
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

MIKE

Quote from: footballrun21 on December 20, 2005, 08:13:47 PM

My squadron just comes in civie athletic clothes and we would just wear that the entire meeting.  It's not worth it to change when it's only a 2 hr. meeting.  We do PT the first half and the 2nd we come up with stuff to do (occasionally Moral leadership if the chaplain can't do it any other night, AE lesson, etc.).

Well the old unit met from 1800 to 2100... Plus the CPFT in its current form is intended to be completed in about an hour.  I think about around the time I left they were doing sports events after CPFT, so they just stayed in PTs... But that still means there was at least a reasonable amount of time to do something else after the CPFT is finished.  Goes with the idea that you should be in a CAP uniform for cadet programs activities.

The idea behind the CAP PT Uniform is not only to have a specified uniform for CPFT and other PT type events, but also to use this uniform in place of the BDU for those activities where the BDU is not a necessity, but service uniforms are inappropriate at best.
Mike Johnston

footballrun21

If we all went somewhere, though, and we are all wearing the same clothes (PT uniforms) we don't look professional.  We look like a bunch of kids that have a disipline problem, so our parents sent us off to some type of desipline restoration program. 

For example, even though we weren't in the same clothes, we were wearing civies at a glider airport for O-flights.  We had a little formation in the parking lot and you should have seen the looks we were getting.  Having a bunch of kids doing these things while not in BDUs/Blues in public looks pretty weird.
New Jersey Wing

Eclipse

I think even when expense is an issue, a uniform appearance should be maintained.

I mean how expensive would it be for all to wear dark blue shorts and a white t-shirt?

Walmart can provide the finest in Chinese craftsmanship for under $10.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I'm gonna throw out some what-ifs here:

What if ...

there isn't a Wal-Mart close to where Jack lives?

Joey's Wal-Mart doesn't sell the same color/style shorts as Billy's Wal-Mart?

Janey can't get the same color/style as Billy or Joey because she's a girl?

The military services provide a specification for suppliers to follow to (attempt to) ensure uniformity. If you want the same uniformity in CAP, the same thing must happen. That will drive the price up. Even if it's only $20 for shorts and shirt (not likely), I'd rather see it spent in a more functional manner.

[Edit] - The shorts and shirt set from CAPMart in the 2005 catalog is $21.85. (plus shipping)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

We're talking about a uniform appearance from a relative distance to assist with esprit-de-corps, not requiring a national chain to stock a mil-spec item in short quantity.

Dark blue shorts & a white t-shirt isn't going to be THAT hard to find.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

The original question was:  "If we are supposed to wear uniforms for cadet programs type stuff shouldn't we have a PT uniform?"

I, and apparently several others, took this to mean a specificied set of clothing for PT, so everyone can look uniform, as in all alike.

Steve Horning stated: "Well, there is a uniform.  It's just a non-standard uniform."

I totally agree with that concept. What I disagree with is the premise in para 2 above. If Joey, Billy and Janey all want to wear the same stuff they use for HS PE, that's great. More bang for the buck. If the colors don't match, it's still functional. Specifying another uniform combination that they will probably only use at CAP is what I'm objecting to.

If you want to specify a uniform then you need to go all the way. There's no in-between. OTOH, if you want to specify preferred clothing, then there is some leeway. If Billy and Joey and Janey want to spend the extra bucks, that's great. I just don't think it should be mandatory.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

afgeo4

I believe that justifying a $40 expense to a cadet's parents for an activity that takes up perhaps 2 hours a week is not only difficult, but down right mean.

CAP PFUs exist for those who want to splurge.  For those who may want to look sharp while attending encampment or national activity, not for those cadet airmen who do PT on a monthly basis at meetings.  By the way, the Personal Fitness Uniform is a uniform for PERSONAL FITNESS, not overall general squadron activities.  That's what the UTILITY (BDU) uniform is for, it's utilitarian.  Please, don't broaden the meaning of simple english words and don't create extra reasons for unnecessary actions.  We get enough of that from our distinguished Wing, Region, and National staff members.

Uniforms are only uniform when everyone wears them the same way, at the same time, for the same purpose.  For the purpose of CPF, a general shorts/t-shirt/sweats combination is more than appropriate.  However, it is much less than appropriate for a lesson on Aerospace Education or a Leadership Lab and because of that, I believe the only appropriate cause of action would be to have cadets change out of their stinky PFUs into BDU's for the rest of their meeting.
GEORGE LURYE

footballrun21

Where do your cadets change, though?  Were my squadron meets, there is only one bathroom and it would take forever for everyone to change into BDUs from PFUs.  I don't know how ohter squadrons do it.
New Jersey Wing

MIKE

Quote from: footballrun21 on December 23, 2005, 01:11:22 AM
Where do your cadets change, though?  Were my squadron meets, there is only one bathroom and it would take forever for everyone to change into BDUs from PFUs.  I don't know how ohter squadrons do it.

The squadron that I was at that changed into/out of PTs/Uniforms met at a U.S. Army Reserve Center that has restroom facilities for both males and females.  It did not take long for everyone to be changed for each activity.
Mike Johnston

afgeo4

That's the same exact situation at my squadron.  Army reserve center, male and female bathrooms.  My former squadron met at an Army Nat Guard armory with same conveniences.  Actually, I've never seen a squadron meeting place before that didn't have male and female restrooms. 

For those who don't have them I'd recommend that PT be scheduled for the very beginning or very end of meeting thus eliminating one need for change of uniform.  Cadets could either show up or leave in PFUs.
GEORGE LURYE