Main Menu

Uniform Changes

Started by isuhawkeye, October 04, 2007, 07:03:20 PM

isuhawkeye

Quotethe "Pineda Survival Ribbon" awarded to all wing and region commanders who didn't get fired

I nominate Col. Ralph Tomlinson.

appointed by bowling, still in command

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: SarDragon on October 11, 2007, 01:33:34 AM
I don't expect to wear the mil-style uniform. I do expect to be treated as an equal professionally.

Right now we have three classes of members, who, in some cases, are not treated equally. You have the "fit" members, who are allowed to wear the mil-style uniform, the "fatties", who can wear any of the corporate uniforms, and the "fuzzies", like me, who are only allowed to wear a subset of the corporate uniforms.

I would really like to have a set of uniforms, for all of us who can't wear mil-style uniforms, that shares some equivalency to AF uniforms at each level.

On that note, I think we need to get back on topic.

I'd take it one step farther.

I'd like to see ALL of CAP in one uniform.

Before the Air Force discovered body fat, we were.  CAP guys all wore the AF uniform proudly.  Personally, I think that most of the personnel and other turbulence started with this multi-uniform thing in the 70's.

Now, I'll admit, beards, ponytails, and stuff were not popular back in the 60's.  Chubbyness was, however.

My dream situation would be for the USAF to waive the fat rules, and CAP members all shave and get haircuts.  Then, all of us wear one Air Force uniform.  That's unlikely.

So, my more realistic solution is to have one corporate uniform styled similar to and harking back to the same traditions as, the USAF unifrom.  And everybody wears it!

Chubbies get it tailored professionally, and fuzzies trim up so that at least they look like military professionals and not like Charlie Manson.

So... what...?  nobody wants to share my dream?
Another former CAP officer

jb512

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 09, 2007, 10:56:57 PM
Any white aviator shirt is legal, Jason.  You don't have to get the frigate sail from Vanguard.

Yes, sir.  We got that clarified some time back thanks to some folks in here.  I'm glad we have the option of the tapered AF style aviator shirt.

BillB

John
The only problem, none of the older style AF uniforms are still in production. Althought you could come close to the 1950's AF Khaki uniform since "Dickies" makes a close imitation. Only difference, no epaulets or pocket flaps on the shirt. You would also have two uniforms showing up at a Squadron meeting, Seniors in the CAP heritage uniform and cadets in blues or BDUs.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

isuhawkeye

with 50,000+ members we could get what ever we wanted created

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: BillB on October 11, 2007, 11:38:18 AM
John
The only problem, none of the older style AF uniforms are still in production. Althought you could come close to the 1950's AF Khaki uniform since "Dickies" makes a close imitation. Only difference, no epaulets or pocket flaps on the shirt. You would also have two uniforms showing up at a Squadron meeting, Seniors in the CAP heritage uniform and cadets in blues or BDUs.

Read back, Bill.

I suggested a completely NEW uniform, the Hap Arnold Heritage Corporate Uniform, based on the Arnold Heritage uniform that the USAF is going to, but with enough differences to qualify as a corporate bluesuit.  Put everybody in it, including cadets.

The theory, which was beat to death on the Lobby thread about the Battle of the Atlantic, is that Arnold is as much a part of CAP's heritage as the Air Force's.  We would not currently exist as an organization had Arnold not:

1.  Given CAP a decisive combat role, and

2.  Started the Cadet Program.

I know... white shirts for cadets?  But, hey, if the USMA cadets can look like ice cream truck drivers, so can our guys!

Cecil DP

Quote from: isuhawkeye on October 11, 2007, 01:55:43 PM
with 50,000+ members we could get what ever we wanted created

And how many people can afford to scrap the current uniform and buy the Isuhawkeye uniform???
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Eeyore

Heh, not me. Over $1,000 over the last year was enough to get me started and hopefully will last me a good number of years.

NAYBOR

In some studies I'm doing on the history of the Air Force uniform, it seems McPeak was not original in his idea about wanting sleeve braid to designate rank like the Navy.  Spaatz wnated it too:

http://www.af.mil/news/airman/1296/duds.htm

I never knew that!  :o

JayT

Quote from: NAYBOR on October 12, 2007, 02:34:19 PM
In some studies I'm doing on the history of the Air Force uniform, it seems McPeak was not original in his idea about wanting sleeve braid to designate rank like the Navy.  Spaatz wnated it too:

More like the Royal Air Force it would seem.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: JThemann on October 12, 2007, 06:59:05 PM
Quote from: NAYBOR on October 12, 2007, 02:34:19 PM

More like the Royal Air Force it would seem.

The RAF and the US Navy are actually very close.  The only difference is in the lowest officer grades.

In the Navy, an Ensign starts with one stripe, and a Lt (jg) goes to one-and-a-half stripes.

In the RAF, a "Pilot Officer" starts with a half-stripe, and goes to a full stripe at "Flying Officer."

Other than that, and the terms applied to the ranks, the insignia for officers in the RAF and US Navy is the same.