Main Menu

Hold your horses

Started by NIN, June 30, 2016, 12:50:55 AM

PHall

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on July 03, 2016, 06:36:27 PM
Very tempted to redo my relatively new BBDUs.
I wonder if dark tapes with the flag would fly?

Should fly until 2359L on 31 Dec 2016.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on July 02, 2016, 03:56:23 PM
Interestingly my aircrew wings were not marrowed.  They came like the ranks and ground team badge with unfinished edges.

Same here - all of my badges and insignia were unfinished.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

arajca

My AC wings were folded, not marrowed. The rest were unfinished, except my grade insignia, which is on back-order. I guess they had a lot of Lt Cols making the switch.

RMW14

All of my insignia came with unfinished edges. I would pay extra to have Vanguard make the all the wings, badges and ranks with the correct amount of blue showing and the edges finished so everything would be uniform across the board.

Ryan Weir Capt
Emergency Services Officer Jesse Jones Composite Squadron 304
Expert Ranger #274
NASAR SARTECH 1 Lead Evaluator/ WEMT
CD PAWG Central
AOBD,GBD,GTL, GTM1, UDF, MO, MS, MRO, AP

Paul Creed III

Quote from: RMW14 on July 08, 2016, 05:10:46 PM
All of my insignia came with unfinished edges. I would pay extra to have Vanguard make the all the wings, badges and ranks with the correct amount of blue showing and the edges finished so everything would be uniform across the board.

+1

I received my Goretex tab yesterday and it was not folded correctly: the insignia was almost touching one of the folds with excess blue on the opposite side.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Garibaldi

Quote from: Paul Creed III on July 08, 2016, 05:44:07 PM

+1

I received my Goretex tab yesterday and it was not folded correctly: the insignia was almost touching one of the folds with excess blue on the opposite side.

Ehhhh, every time I order one, I rip the seam, size it on the jacket tab, and re-sew it. Hate that it's way too big for the tab.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Майор Хаткевич

Wish I could wear my goretex USCG thingy. :/

NIN

But honestly, folding insignia is not difficult. Its exceptionally easy. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

once again, a cautionary tale for those of you wishing to obtain badges and insignia from a third party supplier:

"Dark Navy Blue" != "Midnight Blue"

The wings at the top were previously pictured, they come from "nametags4u.com"
The two tags in the middle are from Vanguard.

the tag at the bottom was obtained from another vendor as "silver on midnight blue."

The "Vanguard Dark Navy Blue" color is.. elusive.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

DakRadz

NIN- AF Blue is the moniker on all my packages of badges. Maybe that helps?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Майор Хаткевич

Iirc, someone said it's the blue of af enlisted rank?

Damron

Quote from: NIN on July 08, 2016, 09:43:09 PM
once again, a cautionary tale for those of you wishing to obtain badges and insignia from a third party supplier:

"Dark Navy Blue" != "Midnight Blue"

The wings at the top were previously pictured, they come from "nametags4u.com"
The two tags in the middle are from Vanguard.

the tag at the bottom was obtained from another vendor as "silver on midnight blue."

The "Vanguard Dark Navy Blue" color is.. elusive.

Any reference would have described midnight blue as very dark, close to black in indirect light.

I ordered tapes from an eBay vendor and they matched the Vanguard cloth grade perfectly.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=21152.msg388560#msg388560

Jester

My vanguard tapes had the same length issue. The name has just enough to fold over on each end. CAP tape is fine.

I bought a couple of goretex tab slide-on thingamajigs. One for an actual goretex and the other I'll fold down to 2"x2" and sew Velcro to the back for the fleece jacket since that's not available yet. 

I ordered a set of Velcro tapes for the fleece and I'm not jazzed about them. I'm used to them being folded on the ends then sewn to the Velcro. These are cut on the ends. It's more low profile but I'm worried about fraying. They seem to be sealed or fused so time will tell.

I'm going to take one of my goretex slide-on thingamajigs to Joann's fabrics or something to see if they have a match. If they do I'll try to get some to have my AF badge redone. The nametags4u don't match and it's bugging me. 

Mustang

Quote from: DocJekyll on June 30, 2016, 06:09:45 PM

Tapes, and everything else matched including the GTM2 and MO wings

Oh. Em. Gee. Those wings look ATROCIOUS. 
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Mustang on October 04, 2016, 08:26:11 AM
Quote from: DocJekyll on June 30, 2016, 06:09:45 PM

Tapes, and everything else matched including the GTM2 and MO wings

Oh. Em. Gee. Those wings look ATROCIOUS.

Looked decent enough for me:

RogueLeader

The one thing that I do like about the GT badges is that the triangle section is sewn solid, then they embroidered the GT in blue over it, so the "GT" is much more clear.

[edited for clarity]
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

ranviper

Found this picture from like 4 years ago. After checking this thread out I immediately want to get the dark blue tapes...