Main Menu

Hold your horses

Started by NIN, June 30, 2016, 12:50:55 AM

NIN

The name tape monster reared his ugly head.  You can see the tailors chalk marking center of pocket and center of nametag.

Right side is folded under about 1/2 inch (good). On the other side that's folded about 1/4 inch (bad) and is still short of the pocket end.

I'll be on the phone tomorrow.

Plus: commaders badge is still awful (probably always will be) and they're merrowing each single piece of grade and not sending them as a single pair.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

I noticed that ABU pockets are about 1" wider than BDU pockets.

Eclipse

Ssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooccccccccccckkkkkkking...

Quote from: NIN on June 30, 2016, 12:50:55 AM
Plus: commaders badge is still awful (probably always will be) and they're merrowing each single piece of grade and not sending them as a single pair.

Is the merrow at least done properly?  I am not wearing my A/C wings because they come pre-folded INCORRECTLY MEASURED and sewn
down, I frankly didn't care enough to undo the stitching and redo it at the time.

"That Others May Zoom"

8416w

Darn I was hoping that they would not merrow the edges on anything. It's terrible they didn't improve the quality of the embroidery.

NIN

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on June 30, 2016, 03:03:31 AM
I noticed that ABU pockets are about 1" wider than BDU pockets.

They came out at a solid 15cm (I've gone metric when doing nametags.. Easier to go "75mm" vs "2 9/16ths" or whatever) which, as I recall, the last couple sets of BDUs I sewed up were similar.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2016, 03:26:58 AM
Is the merrow at least done properly?  I am not wearing my A/C wings because they come pre-folded INCORRECTLY MEASURED and sewn
down, I frankly didn't care enough to undo the stitching and redo it at the time.

Describe "done properly"

Why do it at all?  I'm going to cut down the insignia with pinking shears anyway.  Merrowing it leads people to believe that the insignia should be folded in some way while maintaining all of the included fabric in each direction.  Thats going to cause nothing but heartache, and its an extra set of steps & material thats not needed.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

winterg

Why on earth would they merrow those edges? It makes no sense that I can think of and probably has an effect on production cost. 

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: NIN on June 30, 2016, 12:01:34 PM

That's weird. None of my stuff came that way. Here's my rank patches:

In fact... All my stuff seemed spot on.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

8416w

Thank goodness there is enough fabric to fold.

dwb

Lt Cols get the deluxe merrowed edge.

NIN

Quote from: dwb on June 30, 2016, 01:02:23 PM
Lt Cols get the deluxe merrowed edge.

Considering the first thing I did was go in and hack 25+% of the fabric away, its a total waste.

Never mind the fact that there is a solid inch and a half beyond the ends of the branch tapes (I cut off some), but I had to work my butt off to sew down the outboard edge of my nametag cuz there was so little to fold under.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

The 1st Lt above look like the old versions for the utilities.  Do they match the tapes?

As to the merrowing, if they all start coming like that, we're going to see people sewing them
on that way, ala the people still wearing the luggage tag as a branchtape.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2016, 01:41:25 PM
The 1st Lt above look like the old versions for the utilities.  Do they match the tapes?

As to the merrowing, if they all start coming like that, we're going to see people sewing them
That's what I'm expecting: "I figured it was right,  it came from Vanguard that way. "
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2016, 01:41:25 PM

Tapes, and everything else matched including the GTM2 and MO wings
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

Eclipse

Wow - these examples are noticeably different then some of those from "non-standard" sources we've seen
here and I've seen IRL, though lighting is clearly an issue as well.  NIN's look purple, while these look almost denim.

Taste the rainbow.

"That Others May Zoom"

Toad1168

Obviously not folded, but this is how mine came.

Toad

Майор Хаткевич

Mine are on a UPS truck....and he should have been here around 2 hours ago...

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on June 30, 2016, 06:14:32 PM
Wow - these examples are noticeably different then some of those from "non-standard" sources we've seen
here and I've seen IRL, though lighting is clearly an issue as well.  NIN's look purple, while these look almost denim.

Taste the rainbow.

FYI, for those keeping score at home:

the color of the nametapes and the insignia backing is a very dark blue.  Like "almost midnight blue".

I got Coats & Clark thread at Joann Fabrics, shade 4940 "Dark Navy", and it is correct against the fabric..
http://www.joann.com/coats-andamp-clark-dual-duty-xp-general-purpose-thread-250yds/xprd840925.html#q=4940&start=1

The "silver" thread is like Sulky Rayon #4111720, "Light Silver" (thats an embroidery thread). No matter the photography, its *NOT* a metallic thread
http://www.joann.com/sulky-rayon-40wt-thread-250yd/prd2918.html#prefn1=refinementColor&prefv1=Silvers&start=1

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: Toad1168 on June 30, 2016, 06:34:20 PM
Obviously not folded, but this is how mine came.

See, you've got a solid 3/8 of an inch or more on the left than I do.

The name tag I'd picked happened to be the *shortest* one in my batch.

I went with the longer one and cheated my name slightly outboard about 1/16th of an inch to gain a bit more.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP