Main Menu

What Is This?

Started by Archer, March 08, 2014, 03:46:08 AM

lordmonar

Might be the WWII Victory Medal.

Assuming he is keeping in the Tuskegee Airman Mode.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Panache

Quote from: LSThiker on April 08, 2014, 05:21:25 AM
It is a red service ribbon.  You can see it better with this picture:

No, I don't think it's a Red Service Ribbon.  The RSR has white out edges, with a red center area.  The ribbon here appears to have an outer red edge, going in with yellow/amber, and a blue center area.

I don't think it's the WWII Victory Medal either.

Maybe an Army Service Ribbon?  Seems to match the color pattern, but the ASR was established in 1981.... hmmmm....

SarDragon

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=240124886148747&set=pb.240101826151053.-2207520000.1396934148.&type=3&theater

Still to blurry to determine. Remember, RS from then is not the same as RS today.

Now:

Then:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panache

I did not take that into account.  You may very well be right.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SarDragon on April 08, 2014, 06:42:29 AM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=240124886148747&set=pb.240101826151053.-2207520000.1396934148.&type=3&theater

Still to blurry to determine. Remember, RS from then is not the same as RS today.

Now:

Then:

The RSR has had at least 3 versions: the 1944 version, with central prop in circle; the 1950's version with prop in the center and the current one, essentially the second version without prop.

Award criteria was different for different versions at different times.

For example, the WWII version was the second highest of three (Green, Red, Blue, with Blue highest) and was awarded based on HOURS of service.

The one with prop was the lowest of three (Red, White, Blue), was based on YEARS of service and was originally not available to cadets. It may have had a higher earning threshold than 2 years, I can't remember. A "Silver" service ribbon seems to be floating in my head, added to this version set, but I can't recall the criteria.

With both of the first two versions, only one was worn at a time, the highest. I think it was 1971 or so when the service ribbons were consolidated to one ribbon, Red, with clasps and numbers. Cadets became eligible then. The criteria remained the same when the prop was dropped from this and other ribbons, giving us the current version.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on April 08, 2014, 09:34:04 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on April 08, 2014, 06:42:29 AM

Now:

Then:

The RSR has had at least 3 versions: the 1944 version, with central prop in circle; the 1950's version with prop in the center and the current one, essentially the second version without prop.

Award criteria was different for different versions at different times.

For example, the WWII version was the second highest of three (Green, Red, Blue, with Blue highest) and was awarded based on HOURS of service.

The one with prop was the lowest of three (Red, White, Blue), was based on YEARS of service and was originally not available to cadets. It may have had a higher earning threshold than 2 years, I can't remember. A "Silver" service ribbon seems to be floating in my head, added to this version set, but I can't recall the criteria.

With both of the first two versions, only one was worn at a time, the highest. I think it was 1971 or so when the service ribbons were consolidated to one ribbon, Red, with clasps and numbers. Cadets became eligible then. The criteria remained the same when the prop was dropped from this and other ribbons, giving us the current version.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

LSThiker

Quote from: SarDragon

Yes I know the difference. Perhaps on your screen it is blurry. However on my mine I can clearly see the red outsides, white center, and blue disc. I cannot see the red prop but I assume it is there.   It is a red service from that time period.

It is not a WW2 victory medal as the color scheme does not match.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: LSThiker on April 08, 2014, 12:25:41 PM
Quote from: SarDragon

Yes I know the difference. Perhaps on your screen it is blurry. However on my mine I can clearly see the red outsides, white center, and blue disc. I cannot see the red prop but I assume it is there.   It is a red service from that time period.

It is not a WW2 victory medal as the color scheme does not match.

Also, wearing the WWII Victory Medal as a sole ribbon would make for a very odd presentation.

MSG Mac

wearing the WWII Victory Medal implies that you also have at least one of the three Theater medals (ETO, Asia-Pacific, or American Theater).
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TarRiverRat

It is the 1944 Red Service Ribbon  awarded to those who have performed a total of 500 hours of volunteer service in the CAP.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

lordmonar

Quote from: MSG Mac on April 09, 2014, 12:13:17 AM
wearing the WWII Victory Medal implies that you also have at least one of the three Theater medals (ETO, Asia-Pacific, or American Theater).
Nope.

The American Theater needed a year's service to earn......but the Victory Medal only need one day.

So someone who gets sent to OTS say in early 45, never gets sent over seas and gets out out before his one year mark would get the Victory Medal and nothing else.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

The14th

It is certainly not the current Army Service Ribbon. You can tell it's not just by glancing at it, looks nothing like the "pride" ribbon.

MIKE

Quote from: lordmonar on April 09, 2014, 04:08:44 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on April 09, 2014, 12:13:17 AM
Nope.

The American Theater needed a year's service to earn......but the Victory Medal only need one day.

So someone who gets sent to OTS say in early 45, never gets sent over seas and gets out out before his one year mark would get the Victory Medal and nothing else.

My grandfather rates one 'cause the eligible dates were through DEC 1946.  IIRC he didn't enter the Navy until 1946.  He has the American Campaign, and European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign ribbons, but I'm not sure about those.
Mike Johnston