Hooray for the CAP Golf Shirt Combinations!

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 30, 2012, 10:11:25 PM

bflynn

Quote from: RiverAux on October 01, 2012, 12:19:01 AM
That being said, if height/weight requirements were dropped for the AF style uniform I'm fully confident that 95% of CAP members would choose that combination over all others most of the time.

Is that based on you taking input from other members or on your own personal guess/feeling about it?

I just ask because what you're fully confident on doesn't match what I observe at meetings.  The golf shirt is the standard uniform at senior meetings.  For flight missions, it's either a golf shirt or flight suit and BDUs for field missions.  That includes people who meet the H/W requirements and already could wear it if they wanted.  That might be a better observation; how many seniors who can wear the AF uniform do?

If I wanted to wear the AF uniform, I'd join the AF.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: bflynn on October 01, 2012, 07:46:41 PM
That being said, if height/weight requirements were dropped for the AF style uniform I'm fully confident that 95% of CAP members would choose that combination over all others most of the time.

Is that based on you taking input from other members or on your own personal guess/feeling about it?

I just ask because what you're fully confident on doesn't match what I observe at meetings.  The golf shirt is the standard uniform at senior meetings.  For flight missions, it's either a golf shirt or flight suit and BDUs for field missions.  That includes people who meet the H/W requirements and already could wear it if they wanted.  That might be a better observation; how many seniors who can wear the AF uniform do?

Lets just make it easy. Want to wear BDUs/Flight Suit?

Time to get Blues.

Flight suit/BBDUs? G/W.

No more Polo rocking but can get the flight suit types.

Eclipse

Quote from: bflynn on October 01, 2012, 07:46:41 PMIf I wanted to wear the AF uniform, I'd join the AF.

If you're wearing the flight suit or BDU's, you are wearing the USAF Style uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

It is my own personal guess/feeling about that particular topic based on the CAP members I know.  Just about all of those precluded from AF-style uniforms would wear them rather than the CAP corporate uniforms if they could.  Now, if we were in a CAP world where there was still a golf shirt uniform but all seniors could wear AF-style if they wanted to, I'm not sure what would happen. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on October 01, 2012, 07:57:50 PMJust about all of those precluded from AF-style uniforms would wear them rather than the CAP corporate uniforms if they could.

Of course they would - why would anyone seek to look "different" just for the point of it?

In a world with "Blues For All" and the golf shirt, you'd still have people standing in formations or getting promoted in a golf shirt, but you don't scale a program for the 1%.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Which begs the question:

What would you have done back in the days when the AF uniform was the only option for CAP, hard rank and all?

This organisation is so schizoid sometimes.

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2012, 08:12:39 PM
Of course they would - why would anyone seek to look "different" just for the point of it?

I'm sure my high school teachers probably asked the same question many times: >:D

Why would such a shy, reserved, intelligent, polite, churchgoing young man dress like this for most of his teens and twenties (No, this isn't me, but a close facsimile)?

In a CAP context, as long as I can meet the requirements to wear the AF uniform, and as long as the AF lets us wear it, I'm still going to wear the bloody thing, and it doesn't matter if I'm at a wing conference and the only one in the room wearing it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on October 01, 2012, 08:38:12 PMWhy would such a shy, reserved, intelligent, polite, churchgoing young man dress like this for most of his teens and twenties (No, this isn't me, but a close facsimile)?

NADD - Narcissistic Attention Deficit Disorder (i.e. look at me).

People with NADDs generally have self-esteem issues related to their performance, so they purposely adopt a contrarian
attitude or appearance just for the attention value, then go through spine-twisting mental gymnastics to justify a position
to themselves that no one even cares about them justifying.

People who exhibit symptoms of NADDs, frequently also suffer from YCMMS (You Can't Make ME Syndrome).

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Thank you, Dr. Eclipse. :D

I've never heard that one before, nor was it covered in any of my university psych/logic courses, and I can't find any reference to it online.

Is it in the DSM-IV?

I should note that I don't dress like that now; for one thing, I haven't the hair to do it! :P

I don't do any "spine-twisting mental gymnastics," it's more of a Popeye "I yam what I yam."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

During initial consultation, one could make the argument that in the correct setting, at the appropriate age, that appearance is
actually more conformance than non.

Kind of like a group of Harley riders stressing their independence by wearing $1k worth of advertising, or Apple users thinking "different" in a group of 300 outside a retail store as they beg to give away their money.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^Except when one has tended toward being a loner.

Hey, I cut my hair and shaved my beard off when I joined CAP...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on October 01, 2012, 09:07:50 PM
^^Except when one has tended toward being a loner.

True that.

Appearing like that certainly won't make you more approachable, though in my '80's high school, that look, dialed down about 20%,
was the norm for anyone who wasn't a jock or on physics club.

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

I love the polo shirt uniform.  I think it is the most flexible uniform combination we have available in CAP.

Why do I like it so much?

1.  I can wear it with nice slacks or tac pants, making it convertible for most occasions short of formal.  It works for 99% of my CAP activities.  It even works for ground teams in moderate weather. (I know I know, they have cotton in them.  The same percentage as some BDU's.)  Combined with other layers they suit me well for a wider range of environmental conditions.

2.  I can wear black shoes and gray pants to work.  That makes it a snap to change into my CAP uniform for meetings.  I don't even have to find a phone booth!

2.  I can wear it with any hat I want. Including an evil hat with a wide brim (not a camo boonie BTW.)

3.  I can wear whatever jacket I want.  No need to buy CAP specific winter wear.

4.  I can hang stuff on my belt, like a radio.  That's a major pain in BDU's unless I want to wear some sort of load bearing vest or other tactikewl gear.

5.  As long as my foot wear is black in color I can choose anything from black sneakers to boots, with nice dress shoes in the middle range.

If I could get the polo in Nomex it would be just about perfect.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Air Force style uniform hater.  I have BDU's and AF blues, and wear them when needed.  But for a "one uniform fits all needs" scenario, the polo uniform wins.  In fact there is a polo-shirt based uniform in my car at all times (almost).  It has served me well for unexpected missions, both aircrew and ground based. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2012, 01:52:51 AM
Quote from: Devil Doc on October 01, 2012, 01:49:23 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2012, 01:46:35 AM
Nothing wrong with the whites at all.

The olympic opening ceremonies / tennis judge uniform?  That's another story.

I quess you are refering to the Polo/Golf Shirt Combo?

No.

WTF!  A LIVE horse on CAPTalk!!!  It better get going before.... well you know.

I do like the hats though. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

ol'fido

Once more RM drops the stink bomb and sets back to watch the show. :-X
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Garibaldi

Quote from: ol'fido on October 02, 2012, 12:03:57 AM
Once more RM drops the stink bomb and sets back to watch the show. :-X

Not no more. He got caught in his own backdraft
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

AngelWings

Майор Хаткевич

Devil Doc

Who kicked him out? Who has that power on CT? I wanna shake that mans hand. :clap:
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

a2capt

He who pays the bill, has the password, has the power. Same thing I tell people on my hosted IRC server. Wanna start XXXX? ... go somewhere else, thats not what I'm paying for this for.