Hooray for the CAP Golf Shirt Combinations!

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 30, 2012, 10:11:25 PM

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2012, 01:52:51 AM
Quote from: Devil Doc on October 01, 2012, 01:49:23 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2012, 01:46:35 AM
Nothing wrong with the whites at all.

The olympic opening ceremonies / tennis judge uniform?  That's another story.

I quess you are refering to the Polo/Golf Shirt Combo?

No.

Oh my god, get that man a regimental tie and he'll fit right in with us!

Devil Doc

So that is referring to our Blazer? The Red Stripped tie?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Eclipse

Quote from: Devil Doc on October 01, 2012, 02:01:04 AM
So that is referring to our Blazer? The Red Stripped tie?

Yes, the blazer, which is supposed to be viewed as equivelent to USAF-Style service dress, and isn't even close from the Hubble.
It leaves G/W-wearing members with no formal option that is equivelent to service dress for formal activities, especially those
where military-style dress is expected such as encampments and other formal occasions.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

Formal, Smormal, LOL. Ill rock my Aviator Shirt and Aviator sunglasses all day, lol.

Yes I do agree kinda unfair  dontcha know.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Devil Doc on October 01, 2012, 02:10:33 AM
Formal, Smormal, LOL. Ill rock my Aviator Shirt and Aviator sunglasses all day, lol.

Can't really wear just the G/W to a Banquet. So your options are a blazer with a weird plastic pocket thingy or civilian wear. Try promoting a SM wearing the Blazer on the same level as one wearing service dress.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 01, 2012, 02:12:47 AM

Can't really wear just the G/W to a Banquet. So your options are a blazer with a weird plastic pocket thingy or civilian wear. Try promoting a SM wearing the Blazer on the same level as one wearing service dress.

Dude, time to ditch the pocket protector.  Get the pin on version of the crest.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 01, 2012, 02:16:54 AM
Dude, time to ditch the pocket protector.  Get the pin on version of the crest.

Friends don't let friends wear pocket protectors.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

YA, If i went to a Banquet, I would probably just put on my Civilain Blazer/Suit. Also, I did not know you could not wear the G/W to a banquet.  Interesting.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Devil Doc on October 01, 2012, 02:18:59 AM
YA, If i went to a Banquet, I would probably just put on my Civilain Blazer/Suit. Also, I did not know you could not wear the G/W to a banquet.  Interesting.

Well, you can, but the level of the G/W =/= Service Dress.

As to the protector - pin on...both are atrocious.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RiverAux on October 01, 2012, 12:19:01 AM
While it seems like most of us here (including me) aren't happy about it, RM is basically right in that the people have spoken and the golf shirt uniform is the popular choice of most CAP senior members most of the time.  I'm fully confident that most CAP senior members would be happy to not have a uniform at all and would rather do CAP work in civvies.  That being said, if height/weight requirements were dropped for the AF style uniform I'm fully confident that 95% of CAP members would choose that combination over all others most of the time.  Seeing as how that is unlikely to happen, the rest of us might as well accept that only a few members are going to wear a real uniform (either AF style or CAP).

Non-concur.

I have never owned the golf shirt uniform and never plan to.

I have been mission base crew and flight crew many, many times.

For the former I've worn BDU's and flight suit for the latter.

I suppose I am fortunate...the very first CAP unit I joined only wore the AF-type uniforms (blues and BDU's).  I never saw any of the others (golf shirt, pre-1995 G/W) until I went to wing activities, and even then they were in the minority.

RM has an agenda, which is, as one of my math teachers used to say, BOTCO (Basically Obvious To the Competent Observer): to completely "de-militarise" CAP and make us an "all ES, all the time" organisation.  The best thing to do is not address his agenda.

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2012, 02:03:54 AM
Yes, the blazer, which is supposed to be viewed as equivelent to USAF-Style service dress, and isn't even close from the Hubble.

No offence intended to either of these, but that "uniform" looks more like a suit an estate agent or a volunteer giving directions to people at a huge hospital would wear.

It is not a uniform, it has no connection to aviation, nor to CAP's history outside of a tenuous link to IACE.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CyBorg on October 01, 2012, 02:49:38 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on October 01, 2012, 12:19:01 AM
While it seems like most of us here (including me) aren't happy about it, RM is basically right in that the people have spoken and the golf shirt uniform is the popular choice of most CAP senior members most of the time.  I'm fully confident that most CAP senior members would be happy to not have a uniform at all and would rather do CAP work in civvies.  That being said, if height/weight requirements were dropped for the AF style uniform I'm fully confident that 95% of CAP members would choose that combination over all others most of the time.  Seeing as how that is unlikely to happen, the rest of us might as well accept that only a few members are going to wear a real uniform (either AF style or CAP).

Non-concur.

I have never owned the golf shirt uniform and never plan to.

I have been mission base crew and flight crew many, many times.

For the former I've worn BDU's and flight suit for the latter.

I suppose I am fortunate...the very first CAP unit I joined only wore the AF-type uniforms (blues and BDU's).  I never saw any of the others (golf shirt, pre-1995 G/W) until I went to wing activities, and even then they were in the minority.

RM has an agenda, which is, as one of my math teachers used to say, BOTCO (Basically Obvious To the Competent Observer): to completely "de-militarise" CAP and make us an "all ES, all the time" organisation.  The best thing to do is not address his agenda.

Negative.  He likes the cadet program.   He just has contempt for the senior members, as we are wannabes who are only in the organization for some sort of self gratification that is obtained through the image a military style uniform affords.  By switching to ES and Polo shirts, it removes the wannabe factor by keeping only those that are in CAP "for the right reasons."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 01, 2012, 02:12:47 AM

The weird plastic pocket thingy is not required. I bought one, wore it once, and threw it in the drawer. I just pin my crest directly to my pocket. Looks great!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

..except when the pocket, fake or legit, is crooked. Then it looks haphazard hack even if the viewer knows it's sewn crooked. Plastic baggie or not.

The plastic thing reminds me of "grandma's" furniture, all covered in plastic. Who wants to sit on that couch? You stick to it in a few minutes. Yuck.

Garibaldi

In my unit, I am the only senior who shows up in BDUs, mainly because I am the ES officer and it's my "duty" uniform. I don't want to have to run home (a 50 minute trip) and back (another 50 minute trip) to change from my polo. I guess I COULD keep a spare set in the truck but...since I'm already there, why bother? I wore the polo to 2 meetings and felt uncomfortable. Don't know why, just did. I also am one of 3 or 4 SMs who wear the AF blues combo. It's just what I was "born" in. Maybe once I get really old I'll change, but I'm only walking up the drive to 50 right now.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on October 01, 2012, 03:27:12 AM
In my unit, I am the only senior who shows up in BDUs, mainly because I am the ES officer and it's my "duty" uniform.

Um...no.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2012, 04:05:48 AM
Quote from: Garibaldi on October 01, 2012, 03:27:12 AM
In my unit, I am the only senior who shows up in BDUs, mainly because I am the ES officer and it's my "duty" uniform.

Um...no.

Somehow, the words "I consider it to be" got changed when I hit "post". Big deal. Also, note the quotations around duty. My personal choice. Sue me.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on October 01, 2012, 03:27:04 AM
..except when the pocket, fake or legit, is crooked. Then it looks haphazard hack even if the viewer knows it's sewn crooked. Plastic baggie or not.

The plastic thing reminds me of "grandma's" furniture, all covered in plastic. Who wants to sit on that couch? You stick to it in a few minutes. Yuck.

Did you take notice of my coat Saturday night? Was there any issue with the name tag or crest?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spacecommand

a2capt

If you mean did it look different than any typical use of that uniform combination? :) I think you had the classic slightly tilted pocket style, and I'm not picking on you, or anyone else. It's what you get to work with. It's what our manual says you should do.

I do wish there was a little more a member could do with it, in the way of awards/ratings, because other than the color and venue change, if I didn't know better, it could be a Century 21 salesperson ;-)

I wish they wouldn't sell that crest in the plastic thing. Sell it without it.  Then people won't use it. :)

I recall a previous SM in my unit who had one of those things with the tilted pocket and pointing at the crest in the baggie, "what do they think we're supposed to do with this?"

"Take it out and stick it on without that hideous pocket protector like contraption.  .. that one didn't have a pin in it. Some Gorilla Glue and a few hours later it did. It came with a magnet / metal piece so it would flop over the pocket welt and you were supposed to make it "float". Those invariably would just tilt after a while.

SarDragon

My crest has the pins on the back, but I've had it for at least 10 yrs. Apparently that style is no longer for sale.

I put the name tag and the crest on straight, on a blazer with the tilted  pocket, and unless  you look closely, it's not really noticeable.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret