Tactical pants for golf shirt uniform

Started by RiverAux, August 29, 2012, 08:44:35 PM

Eclipse

Define "harsh"

Every mission I've ever worked is either in a hangar, a trailer, in and out of a vehicle / aircraft, or in the field.  You're moving tables,
running cable, around plenty of "sharp, sticky-outie thingies", not to mention the dirt and dust of vehicles or the great outdoors.

Certainly inappropriate for dress pants, and that doesn't even include the requirement to dry-clean the dress pants, and that
the cut of a pair of grey slacks appropriate for the white shirt won't be as forgiving as a pair of tac pants.

Then there's the pockets - lots of them and easy to get to.  Cell phone, notepads, tablet, maybe a Leatherman, etc.  It was pointed out to me a long time ago not to have a bunch of junk hanging on your belt.

I wear tac pants every day, including versions for shorts.  I have a technical job and it's about the same "harsh" as a CAP mission base where even the IC is likely to be moving tables and running cables.

In fact, tac pants and a golf shirt would probably the most appropriate, best choice for all of CAP's mission
work, from flying to ground ops. Inexpensive, available for all, and no pretensions or affectations.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

If fact, but is it fact? :)

These auto correct things are getting more common. People don't read as they type anymore :(

If the marketing fit most of the marketplace ...

"Large covert cargo pockets on both legs each capable of carrying 2 30-rd AR15/M4 magazines. "
"One traditional and a second zippered pocket capable of carrying two pistol mags per pocket."

Eclipse

I put my tablet in one, wallet, and ID in the other, cell phone in the phone pocket.
Nothing in the back pockets (so as to not ruin the view from behind).

FYI - the NUC briefing was just post and there's not a hint of any discussion regarding the golf shirt combo or tac pants.
http://capmembers.com/media/cms/NUC_Briefing_Aug_2012_F99B515D815D4.ppt

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse on August 31, 2012, 06:42:34 PM
Define "harsh"

Every mission I've ever worked is either in a hangar, a trailer, in and out of a vehicle / aircraft, or in the field.  You're moving tables,
running cable, around plenty of "sharp, sticky-outie thingies", not to mention the dirt and dust of vehicles or the great outdoors.

Certainly inappropriate for dress pants, and that doesn't even include the requirement to dry-clean the dress pants, and that
the cut of a pair of grey slacks appropriate for the white shirt won't be as forgiving as a pair of tac pants.

Then there's the pockets - lots of them and easy to get to.  Cell phone, notepads, tablet, maybe a Leatherman, etc.  It was pointed out to me a long time ago not to have a bunch of junk hanging on your belt.

I wear tac pants every day, including versions for shorts.  I have a technical job and it's about the same "harsh" as a CAP mission base where even the IC is likely to be moving tables and running cables.

If fact, tac pants and a golf shirt would probably the most appropriate, best choice for all of CAP's mission work, from flying to ground ops. In expensive, available for all, and no pretensions or affectations.

:clap:  Yes.  Yep.  Agreed.  Concur. Definitely.  No debate. Right on!    :clap:
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on August 31, 2012, 07:14:21 PMFYI - the NUC briefing was just post and there's not a hint of any discussion regarding the golf shirt combo or tac pants.
What about this bit:

Quote from: NHQ NUC BriefingCAP corporate working uniform dark blue shirt/trousers BDU style w/black boots w/out safety toe, headgear required (baseball cap or dark blue BDU cap may be worn)
Does "dark blue shirt" mean blue BDUs or the polo shirt? My initial impression was that they meant the polo, since I thought we call it a BDU "blouse" and not a shirt and "BDU style" suggests not actual BDU pants.

cap235629

Col. Lewis Alexander who represents SWR was the author of the email excerpt I posted.  I wonder if he and Ned Lee were in the same room??????
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on September 01, 2012, 02:15:36 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 31, 2012, 07:14:21 PMFYI - the NUC briefing was just post and there's not a hint of any discussion regarding the golf shirt combo or tac pants.
What about this bit:

Quote from: NHQ NUC BriefingCAP corporate working uniform dark blue shirt/trousers BDU style w/black boots w/out safety toe, headgear required (baseball cap or dark blue BDU cap may be worn)
Does "dark blue shirt" mean blue BDUs or the polo shirt? My initial impression was that they meant the polo, since I thought we call it a BDU "blouse" and not a shirt and "BDU style" suggests not actual BDU pants.

I dunno, that's the problem with most of the briefings posted, the slides have no speaker's notes, so there's a lot left out.

"That Others May Zoom"

NM SAR

In fact, tac pants and a golf shirt would probably the most appropriate, best choice for all of CAP's mission
work, from flying to ground ops. Inexpensive, available for all, and no pretensions or affectations.

ground ops, not so much. Polo is short sleeved, and all-cotton, neither of which are desirable traits for ground ops.

Eclipse

Quote from: NM SAR on September 02, 2012, 04:30:10 AMground ops, not so much. Polo is short sleeved, and all-cotton, neither of which are desirable traits for ground ops.

There is a long-sleeved version of the golf shirt, and if brush is heavy wear a jacket.

"That Others May Zoom"

denverpilot

Radioman, what did you do with Eclipse... Is he tied up in your basement? ;)

(Kidding. Just kidding.)

I generally agree, but do find the white aviator uniform looks a bit better on someone standing in the front of a classroom. I try to wear that one for teaching.

(I don't do the military style uniforms, those are best worn by those who actually serve or have served, IMHO. Dress blues maybe for formal occasions, I suppose, if you must. Even though I meet regs for wearing them, I don't deserve to, quite frankly. I'm a civilian, and the honor belongs to other folks.)

Eclipse

Note I said "mission work".  We still need dress uniforms for more formal occasions.

"That Others May Zoom"

Dracosbane

Quote from: Larry Mangum on August 31, 2012, 12:52:18 PM
While I firmly believe that Ned as a source can not be beat, I do know that Susie Parker from NHQ, has publicly stated that an ICL was in the works that would authorize tactical pants. Not sure of the time line, but my understanding is that it is imminent. I would suspect that means pants like the tactical pants from Propper and from 5.11. 

Of course all of this is heresy until an ICL actually appears.

I believe the word you're looking for is hearsay. 

Most discussions about uniforms on CAPTalk are heresy, though.    >:D

BigShu

Why the prohibition on safety toe boots? I wear composite toe all the time at work. Every boot store online sells safety toe duty boots, even the ugly green ones.

Eclipse

Quote from: BigShu on September 05, 2012, 02:47:18 AM
Why the prohibition on safety toe boots?

There's no prohibition on safety toe boots.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sapper168

Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2012, 03:11:44 AM
Quote from: BigShu on September 05, 2012, 02:47:18 AM
Why the prohibition on safety toe boots?

There's no prohibition on safety toe boots.

In the Powerpoint under BBDU's (slide #14) it did specify non steel toe black boots.

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Eclipse

If any of that ever reaches a regulation, then they will be prohibited.  As of today, they aren't.
I can't begin to imagine why they would prohibit safety toe boots, or for that matter how any would even know unless you should them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Steel toes, in my experience, limit mobility. I have a weird foot, and for some reason the steel toe rubbed and pressed against some of the bones, crushing some nerves and leaving me without feeling in my big toe on my left foot for several months after I stopped wearing them. You'd think that AT&T, the most safety-conscious company on the planet, would have authorized steel-toed boots for wear but they didn't. I wore them because I have a tendency to kick things while I walk. I found that kneeling with my foot bent at the toe made it difficult to balance. Also, after breaking a rafter and denting my truck door I decided that a soft-toe boot would be better.

OTOH, I don't see how NOT allowing a safety-toe boot could be logical. We encounter a lot of kick- and trip-hazards in the field where a steel-toed boot would help.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

I know in certain trades and industries, the concern is that something ultra-heavy will drop on your foot and the steel cap would
cut your toes off, but unless an airplane falls on your foot that's not likely in CAP, but as you say, the stuff we >do< occasionally lug would
potentially be stopped by the typical steel toe.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Mythbusters did a show on safety shoes, and those toe caps are sturdier than you might think. They were dropping absurdly heavy things from equally absurd heights, and the toes were still protected.  ( http://mythbustersresults.com/episode42 )

I have steel toe boots from WIWOAD, and still wear them for CAP, and also mowing the lawn. In certain instances, I do find them uncomfortable, but value the protection over the comfort.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"...even using a blade attachment didn't work..."

I love those guys.

"That Others May Zoom"