Main Menu

Blue BDU's

Started by shlebz, August 10, 2011, 01:07:00 AM

shlebz

are cadets even authorized to wear them(being the BBDUS)? i have never heard eather way as to if we were or not.
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

lordmonar

Yes....in fact cadets who do not meet USAF weight standards are supposed to wear BBDUs.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Mavvrikk

I would like to see what they look like, picture please!

JayT

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

AngelWings

Quote from: lordmonar on August 10, 2011, 01:14:29 AM
Yes....in fact cadets who do not meet USAF weight standards are supposed to wear BBDUs.
Sir, I think you might have meant cap weight standards, and that cadets over 18 are required to wear the BBDU.

SarDragon

Quote from: Littleguy on August 10, 2011, 02:09:36 AM
Sir, I think you might have meant cap weight standards, and that cadets over 18 are required to wear the BBDU.

Littleguy, you're pushing your luck. Chillax, and take a break. You need it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on August 10, 2011, 02:26:30 AM

Actually he's right, just not entirely clear. All cadets may wear the BBDU. Cadets that don't meet weight for AF style uniforms that are over 18 must wear the BBDU. Cadets of all ages do not get to be out of grooming regardless of uniform per a "recent" memo from CAP/CC.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

AngelWings

What?

DakRadz

EDIT: Well, Capt Sinn said all this more concisely- consider me his Little LPER.

Okay, to clarify the wide and varied opinions and slight facts everyone hath thus far posteth-

Note that I will NOT use knowledgebase as a reference.

You must meet TWO criteria in order to be required to wear Blue BDUs
1) Outside of CAP Height/Weight standards
2) Over the age of 18

You ARE ALLOWED to wear the distinctive uniforms if you'd like
CAPM 39-1; Ch 4; 4-1 Cadet members are authorized to wear the CAP utility uniform, field uniform, and blazer
combinations as desired.

When in a distinctive uniform as a cadet you MUST still meet grooming standards.
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2008_07_15_cadet_grooming_standards_C47203C9D3555.pdf

The above link contains a Letter from CAP/CC addressing this issue.

Any questions, class?

AngelWings

Quote from: DakRadz on August 10, 2011, 02:38:37 AM
EDIT: Well, Capt Sinn said all this more concisely- consider me his Little LPER.

Okay, to clarify the wide and varied opinions and slight facts everyone hath thus far posteth-

2) Over the age of 18

CAPM 39-1; Ch 4; 4-1 Cadet members are authorized to wear the CAP utility uniform, field uniform, and blazer
combinations as desired.

When in a distinctive uniform as a cadet you MUST still meet grooming standards.
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2008_07_15_cadet_grooming_standards_C47203C9D3555.pdf

Any questions, class?
Thank you for posting the link. Clears up some CAPM-39-1 questions.

davidsinn

Quote from: DakRadz on August 10, 2011, 02:38:37 AM

2) Over the age of 18

combinations as desired.

Any questions, class?

Yeah that's the detail level I'm too tired to pull off tonight ;)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

Quote from: Littleguy on August 10, 2011, 02:35:26 AM

What?
Yeah, "What?". The statement was not correct as posted, and the whole topic is a bit ambiguous until a few posts past this original occurrence.

Майор Хаткевич

I don't know, his post seemed to make a lot of sense to me. It was corrections of lordmonar, and makes sense when you read both.

I wear the BBDUs, as I'm outside the AF weight regs.

Major Lord

So a cadet wears BBDU's if he is outside CAP ( NOT AF!) height/weight tables, but a Senior member can wear them if he is sausage bodied, pony-tailed, unshaven, and has body piercing (okay, maybe not body piercing) and a forked tongue.....That should be a real incentive for those cadets who are on the borderline of the bell curve! " I want to look just like Senior Member Moon Child!" Nice. I had one cadet drop out when he became ineligible to meet uniform requirements ( also, its really hard to find uniforms and boots for cadets that are 6-6, weigh 300 pounds, and wear size 16 Boots.....)

Major Lord's quick Uniform rules:

1) Multiply your waist size in inches by two: if the number is lower than your height in inches, you are almost certainly within CAP regs. If not, look up table to be sure.

2) Look down: Can you see your shoes? If not a) check your glasses, and b) Check the height/weight table before putting on the AF Uniform.

I like the BBDU's but the Woodland Cammies don't show dirt, blood, and lint, and I already have two closets full of uniforms, and I hate to pay for yet one more set!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

JC004

JayT

Quote from: JC004 on August 10, 2011, 02:19:39 PM
Quote from: JThemann on August 10, 2011, 01:45:53 AM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Peregrine005/ea7c.jpg

What is wrong with that middle cadet's flag patch?  It's shaped weird.

That picture was taken........five years ago? Man I look young.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

gunnysargentbecekett

its the cap weight regulation not the usaf.

DakRadz

Quote from: gunnysargentbecekett on August 11, 2011, 07:35:55 PM

SarDragon, if you would do the honors... I can't find a polite way to address the entirety of every post he's made so far.

But Ian? You need to read the rest of the thread first. I already addressed that, in great detail. (I refuse to call him a GySgt)

Mavvrikk

Whats the difference between the two? Besides the color?

DakRadz

Quote from: Mavvrikk on August 11, 2011, 08:17:00 PM

Nothing, except that one cannot be worn by those who do not meet CAP H/W and grooming standards. Blue BDUs are Civil Air Patrol-specific, i.e. NOT worn by the Air Force (and according to MIKE, they are different from the Coast Guard's ODUs, which are the same color but have differences).

Basically- If you want to wear Air Force-style uniforms, you have to shave and weigh under a certain amount. And for cadets, you still have to shave regardless.

SarDragon

Quote from: DakRadz on August 11, 2011, 08:14:24 PM

SarDragon, if you would do the honors... I can't find a polite way to address the entirety of every post he's made so far.

But Ian? You need to read the rest of the thread first. I already addressed that, in great detail. (I refuse to call him a GySgt)

N00bs get a pass from me until they've made 10 posts. Then it's a PM or two first, before the public drawing and quartering. If you feel compelled to provide your own PM, go for it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

Nah, I know the limits of my restraint, and keep my mouth shut if I can't present something in an educational and acceptable manner.

The 10 post rule is good. I'll keep that in mind.

lordmonar

They are the weight standards imposed on us by the USAF.  >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

There is no "CAP weight regulation." Weight tables are in 39-1, Attachment 1.

Eagle

Anyone know where I can get a cheap set of BBDU's?
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

davidsinn

Quote from: Eagle on August 13, 2011, 12:00:40 AM
You don't want cheap. Cheap ones suck. I know from personal experience. Go to BDU.com and get Propper brand. They are excellent quality and hold color very well.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: davidsinn on August 13, 2011, 12:27:07 AM
You don't want cheap. Cheap ones suck. I know from personal experience. Go to BDU.com and get Propper brand. They are excellent quality and hold color very well.

+1

Eagle

Quote from: davidsinn on August 13, 2011, 12:27:07 AM

Thank you.

Eagle
C/2dLt Thomas Bracker
Pell City Composite Squadron
Alpha Flight Commander

EMT-83

Quote from: DakRadz on August 11, 2011, 08:22:13 PM
Quote from: Mavvrikk on August 11, 2011, 08:17:00 PM

Nothing, except that one cannot be worn by those who do not meet CAP H/W and grooming standards. Blue BDUs are Civil Air Patrol-specific, i.e. NOT worn by the Air Force (and according to MIKE, they are different from the Coast Guard's ODUs, which are the same color but have differences).

Basically- If you want to wear Air Force-style uniforms, you have to shave and weigh under a certain amount. And for cadets, you still have to shave regardless.

There's also...

White t-shirts are authorized (but not brown).

Boonie hats are authorized (under certain conditions).

Metal rank can be worn on blue BDU caps.

Mavvrikk

About the weight thing, wouldn't that be against the equal opportunities?

EMT-83

No. Read the regulation.

Mavvrikk

Roger, just wondering.

shlebz

so most cadets just choose not to wear them then i take it?
and wouldnt it look kind of wierd haveing the blue cloth nametape/cap tape/rank (if C/Officer or SM) on the BBDUs? just wondering considering i have never actually seen a cadet wear them before...
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

JC004

What?  Have you never seen this worn at all or something?  Yes, the tapes and insignia fail to match the color of the uniform and it looks silly. 

shlebz

yes, i have seen a couple SMs them, i just never payed close enough i guess. but i have never seen cadets wearign them.
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: JC004 on August 15, 2011, 01:34:01 AM
What?  Have you never seen this worn at all or something?  Yes, the tapes and insignia fail to match the color of the uniform and it looks silly.

I hear people say that all the time. I don't agree. If you care for, take pride in, and wear it right, it looks great. But that's just my opinion, and I HAVE to wear one.

VPI18

Yes, but it was good enough for the Air Force:

davidsinn

Quote from: wilhelm147 on August 15, 2011, 02:22:19 AM

Yes, but it was good enough for the Air Force:

Doesn't mean it doesn't look dumb.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spaceman3750

I wear the Propper dark navy BBDUs. I think the blue tapes look fine on them, but I also am more concerned with doing whatever my job is while I'm in my uniform that day than the color of my name tape.

Hawk200

Wow, old blue stripes with a subdued center star. Missile Communications. That field was related to my first AFSC. Long time ago, judging from the uniform, mid to late eighties.

SarDragon

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 15, 2011, 02:28:25 AM
I wear the Propper dark navy BBDUs. I think the blue tapes look fine on them, but I also am more concerned with doing whatever my job is while I'm in my uniform that day than the color of my name tape.

^^

+1000
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

wuzafuzz

The ultramarine tapes and insignia on BBDU's look a little odd to me, but nowhere near as awful as they do on BDU's.  Either way, wear the uniform properly and get the job done professionally.  Navy blue tapes sure would look better though!
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on August 15, 2011, 02:28:25 AM

I would agree with you except I have this annoying habit of my picture in uniform ending up in the newspaper(three times this year alone.) It looks dumb.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JayT

Quote from: shlebz on August 14, 2011, 11:52:38 PM
So most cadets just choose not to wear them then I take it? And wouldn't it look kind of weird having the blue cloth nametape/CAP Branch tape/sewn on grade (if C/Officer or SM) on the BBDUs? I'm just wondering considering I have never actually seen a cadet wear them before...

Why would dark blue look weird on........dark blue?

a2capt

I could swear that photo is fake ... in that it's a doll in a scaled down model. It just looks out of whack proportion wise :) The patches, the tapes, etc. Or she's really small. ;)

davidsinn

Quote from: JThemann on August 15, 2011, 04:05:27 AM
Quote from: shlebz on August 14, 2011, 11:52:38 PM
So most cadets just choose not to wear them then I take it? And wouldn't it look kind of weird having the blue cloth nametape/CAP Branch tape/sewn on grade (if C/Officer or SM) on the BBDUs? I'm just wondering considering I have never actually seen a cadet wear them before...

Why would dark blue look weird on........dark blue?

Because all of our insignia is bright blue on a dark blue uniform.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on August 15, 2011, 04:07:40 AM
I could swear that photo is fake ... in that it's a doll in a scaled down model. It just looks out of whack proportion wise :) The patches, the tapes, etc. Or she's really small. ;)

Really small. Looks to be about 5'2", or so.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Does the pocket on the outside of the flap indicate anything? I recently saw pictures from some encampment where a cadet had that on his BDUs. He was also tiny, so I figured that was the only thing that he found in BDU that FIT.

DakRadz

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 15, 2011, 04:20:05 AM
Does the pocket on the outside of the flap indicate anything? I recently saw pictures from some encampment where a cadet had that on his BDUs. He was also tiny, so I figured that was the only thing that he found in BDU that FIT.

I've seen a cadet like this- Iunno if they ordered from a doll site or just one of those "let Junior dress like Daddy" X-Super-Small sites, but they were not exactly issue BDUs. When they're that little, though- why call them on it? They were close enough that tiny variances were obviously due to their size.
And like you said, figured that was all they COULD find.

AngelWings

Quote from: DakRadz on August 15, 2011, 04:29:58 AM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 15, 2011, 04:20:05 AM

I've seen a cadet like this- Iunno if they ordered from a doll site or just one of those "let Junior dress like Daddy" X-Super-Small sites, but they were not exactly issue BDUs. When they're that little, though- why call them on it? They were close enough that tiny variances were obviously due to their size.
And like you said, figured that was all they COULD find.
It is mac size. It is what happens if X-small is too big.

a2capt

http://www.flickr.com/photos/byfmwrc/3617083964/in/set-72157619475329755/
1982 era. The single button visible on the pocket is what the BDUs that the mini cadets tend to get, as thats all they can find when they're that small..  and you're right, why call them on it. If it's not assembled right, do what you can to help point them in the right direction.

PHall

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 15, 2011, 02:29:12 AM
Wow, old blue stripes with a subdued center star. Missile Communications. That field was related to my first AFSC. Long time ago, judging from the uniform, mid to late eighties.

Well, Titan II missiles were the last to have enlisted crewmembers. IIRC all of the Titans were retired by 1985 or so.
And the badge above the name tape is a Combat Crew badge.

And this could very well be a picture of a mannequin from the Titan Museum down at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ.

SarDragon

Check out the name tape in the posted pic, and the name in the caption of the linked pic - Langtry. Not a mannequin.

And given a 4U height on the racks, she's about 5'5".
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

At least I made sure it didn't say BINFORD..

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on August 15, 2011, 05:31:09 AM
Check out the name tape in the posted pic, and the name in the caption of the linked pic - Langtry. Not a mannequin.

And given a 4U height on the racks, she's about 5'5".

They can't put nametapes on a mannequin or use a vintage uniform?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I'm saying that both photos were taken at the same time, with real people, in a real work center. That does not look like a mannequin. In addition, most mannequins have the uniforms arranged much more neatly than in the pic.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Blue tapes look weird. Nuff said.

titanII

Quote from: PHall on August 15, 2011, 05:10:57 AM
IIRC all of the Titans were retired by 1985 or so.
***Space Nerd Nitpick Warning***

At least as space vehicles, the Titans were retired sometime in the 2000's. The Titan system as a missile, however, was retired in 1987. You were close enough  :D.

***Space Nerd Nitpick over***
:D
No longer active on CAP talk

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Littleguy on August 15, 2011, 11:25:13 PM

I think you'll find a large number of members don't agree or even care about the color.

AngelWings

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 16, 2011, 12:23:11 AM

I think you'll find a large number of member don't agree or even care about the color.
Maybe, on here, but I know everybody I have talked to has said they'd prefer subdued insignia to full color. It is an opinion. I wear what I am told, but I do like to show my compliants, too.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Littleguy on August 16, 2011, 12:43:18 AM

I think you'll find a large number of member don't agree or even care about the color.
Maybe, on here, but I know everybody I have talked to has said they'd prefer subdued insignia to full color. It is an opinion. I wear what I am told, but I do like to show my compliants, too.

YMMV, but this conversation (at least around me) never even came up until ABUs appeared, and we don't ever know WHAT we'll be wearing with those.

AngelWings

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 16, 2011, 12:50:50 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on August 16, 2011, 12:43:18 AM

YMMV, but this conversation (at least around me) never even came up until ABUs appeared, and we don't ever know WHAT we'll be wearing with those.
I remember first seeing the CAP uniform. I was looking at has if it was an alien because, has a collector, I'm used to subdued patches being on BDU's, so it was a shocker to see a full color patch set up like CAP has it.

zonaman

I was a fly on the wall when CAP presented to the AF the BBDU. This is what happened . . . . .

CAP - Sir we have a new style of field uniform we would like you to consider.

AF - What? a new uniform?! . . . um I don't Think so, but let me see what you've got.

(CAP hands AF a picture of the BBDU with the CAP patches superimposed on it)

AF - Ha Ha Ha, I remember that uniform. . .

CAP - Well yes, but the top would be more like the modern BDU (un-tucked).

AF - What decade do you want to be the AF AUX in? . . . You do realize its 2002, right?

CAP - OK. how about this. . . We make it for the members that are over weight or have beards or long hair, would that work?

AF - OK you have a deal.

CAP - thank you Sir. ( walks away)

AF - Man these guys are funny, I gotta tell the other guys.

. . . . and the CAP BBDU was born.

. . . . it's all true I tell you, it's all true. . . . .  ;D

zonaman

Nobody thought this was funny . . . I thought so . .  :'(. oh well.

I am joking of-course. I not really butt-hurt, but I do think its funny.

AngelWings

Quote from: zonaman on August 19, 2011, 06:51:24 AM
Nobody thought this was funny . . . I thought so . .  :'(. oh well.

I am joking of-course. I not really butt-hurt, but I do think its funny.
It is sad. It is the truth I bet.