New (?) Uniform Items

Started by JohnKachenmeister, January 11, 2011, 08:01:56 PM

RiverAux

There won't be a day where I wear a jumpsuit while doing ground team work no matter what color, pattern, or patches are on it.  Just not practical. 

NCRblues

I guarantee that there is not enough votes on the NB for all these changes. Plus then the AF has to sign off on them.

Its just not ganna happen people. Not at all....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

BradM

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 11, 2011, 08:01:56 PMChange 2a:  The old light-blue "Smurf Suit" coverall will be the only field uniform for all CAP personnel

The utility coveralls are dark blue. So what is "the old light-blue" ones?

Utility Uniform - Dark blue...

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_440_453&products_id=7763
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Spaceman3750

Quote from: BradM on January 11, 2011, 10:51:29 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 11, 2011, 08:01:56 PMChange 2a:  The old light-blue "Smurf Suit" coverall will be the only field uniform for all CAP personnel

The utility coveralls are dark blue. So what is "the old light-blue" ones?

Utility Uniform - Dark blue...

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_440_453&products_id=7763

Key words being old and smurf suit. According to our very own Maj. Corway at http://elkhartcap.com/CAPUniformHistory.aspx in an article I believe to be ripped from CadetStuff, they were around in the 80s and 90s.

PHall

Quote from: NCRblues on January 11, 2011, 10:47:16 PM
I guarantee that there is not enough votes on the NB for all these changes. Plus then the AF has to sign off on them.

Why would the Air Force care if we stop wearing a uniform??? ???

SarDragon

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 11, 2011, 10:57:39 PM
Key words being old and smurf suit. According to our very own Maj. Corway at http://elkhartcap.com/CAPUniformHistory.aspx in an article I believe to be ripped from CadetStuff, they were around in the 80s and 90s.

Oh, it even goes back to the '70s. I don't recall when it was introduced, but I still have an olde order blank that I never sent in, dated 1977.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

http://elkhartcap.com/CAPUniformHistory.aspx

I just noticed what page you linked to. I need to remind the group commander that it needs to come down. Long story. Short version is: there is not nor ever has been Elkhart unit.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

The CyBorg is destroyed

I suspect that Oberstleutnant Kachenmeister, God bless him, is trying to have a little fun with all the sometimes-heated uniform topics on CAPTalk.

The good Lieutenant Colonel has a rather dry sense of humour.

It would cost beaucoup $$$ to bring the guyabera shirt back and the Smurf suit...especially since the latter would have to be remanufactured.

I only ever saw three people wearing the Smurf suit:

One person in my squadron who didn't want to shell out for other uniforms

Another person in my squadron who got it imposed punitively for constantly wearing the AF uniform filthy

An IC (Major) who was clearly out of H/W restrictions.

If there would be any truth at all to this, NB would have to know that it would be the end of CAP, period.

I would certainly be putting in my paperwork for retirement.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

NCRblues

Quote from: PHall on January 12, 2011, 01:01:21 AM
Quote from: NCRblues on January 11, 2011, 10:47:16 PM

Why would the Air Force care if we stop wearing a uniform??? ???

Maybe you missed the whole CSU/TPU debacle, but in the aftermath the AF said ALL unifrom changes must be approved by them so... unless i have lost my mind, stopping a certain line of uniforms and forcing all members to another one....would be a "change"....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 11, 2011, 10:46:50 PM
There won't be a day where I wear a jumpsuit while doing ground team work no matter what color, pattern, or patches are on it.  Just not practical.

The jumpsuit is one of the best suited, most comfortable uniforms for the type of ground ops CAP does.

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

I suspect that Kach is sitting in his recliner in Florida, tipping a cool one and laughing his fourth point of contact off at all of the reaction to his post.

Go get em, Kach!!!!
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

BradM

Quote from: bosshawk on January 12, 2011, 02:22:01 AM
I suspect that Kach is sitting in his recliner in Florida, tipping a cool one and laughing his fourth point of contact off at all of the reaction to his post.

Go get em, Kach!!!!

He didn't fool me!  ;)
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on January 12, 2011, 02:14:07 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 11, 2011, 10:46:50 PM

The jumpsuit is one of the best suited, most comfortable uniforms for the type of ground ops CAP does.
As someone who spends a lot of their professional life in the outdoors, I'd respectfully disagree. 

wuzafuzz

I remember Don Knotts used to wear one of those on Three's Company.   Looked pretty sharp with those white loafers.   ::) 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Major Carrales

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 11, 2011, 09:14:05 PM
This is a load, everyone knows Kach has a bad sense of humor  >:D.

Some might call it a "sick" sense of humor.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Ey! Wha' kine pakalolo dey smokin' at Max-hell?!?!? (I know... Herr Oberstleutnant Kachenmeister was really pulling our leg!)

If such a lame-brained action came to pass (and it really won't), it won't be long before Civil Air Patrol will wind up a footnote in the history books. So kick back, relax with a cold beer or three or four, and chant that ancient Hawaiian battle cry: SUCK 'EM UP!!!!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JohnKachenmeister

I know you guys think I'm kidding, but I'm not.  Accusing me of a practical joke looks like wishful thinking on your part.  These changes were initiated by CAP-USAF, and I JUST found out at the squadron meeting last night that they don't stop there.

The Air Force style uniform will be changed as well:

AF Change 1:  Bright red (officially- scarlet) sewn-on epaulets and officer sleeve braids, with metal rank devices on the epaulet (which might make some folks happy).

AF Change 2:  Red and white chevrons for NCO's.  They'll look like AF stripes, but be red instead of blue.

Vanguard has already been told to gear up a conversion kit for the AF blue jacket.  The shirt will just have red epaulet sleeves.  I don't know yet if the "CAP" letters will be on the new red epaulet sleeves or not.

The Air Force is calling it the "Civil Air Patrol Heritage Initiative" (CAP-HI) to hark back to our original uniform.

Another former CAP officer

Paul Creed III

[sigh] More uniform purchases. I spend more money on my CAP uniforms than my civilian clothes a year. Maybe a slight exaggeration, but not by too much. No one get me started on the corporate service coat...

I tell ya, wearing only the polo 100% of the time is becoming more attractive. If Vanguard got the IT specialty track badge for it (they have most of them, but not all yet last I checed), I probably would. I wear what the cadets wear for esprit de corp (and what my CC tells me!), but the incessant changes are tiring. At least the polo hasn't changed much since I joined.

Might not be so bad if there was a uniform program for seniors like there is for cadets, but most of the time, we're on the hook for the whole enchilada. Sure, we might get a BDU here or a boot there, but the cadets get first dibs on the uniforms.

We're working for the USAF one way or another (either directly on AFAMs or indirectly by training many of their future AD and Reserve members), couldn't we get some help?
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

FARRIER

I'm guessing if NHQ staff was willing to talk, they were doing it to possibly head it off before it actually occurred? I found a photo of a white Guayabera shirt with brown trousers.

http://www.tasteofcuba.com/mexican_wedding_shirt.jpg

Imagining this with grey rank slides, trousers, and blazer nameplate, PUKE. This even sucks out the aviation look of the white and greys.

And, polo shirts are not a uniform. They are casual wear. Southwest Airlines started wearing them, to look casual, up next to the other air carriers who still wear button up shirts and blazers.

Respectfully,
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

DogCollar

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 12, 2011, 01:40:10 PM
I know you guys think I'm kidding, but I'm not.  Accusing me of a practical joke looks like wishful thinking on your part.  These changes were initiated by CAP-USAF, and I JUST found out at the squadron meeting last night that they don't stop there.

The Air Force style uniform will be changed as well:

AF Change 1:  Bright red (officially- scarlet) sewn-on epaulets and officer sleeve braids, with metal rank devices on the epaulet (which might make some folks happy).

AF Change 2:  Red and white chevrons for NCO's.  They'll look like AF stripes, but be red instead of blue.

Vanguard has already been told to gear up a conversion kit for the AF blue jacket.  The shirt will just have red epaulet sleeves.  I don't know yet if the "CAP" letters will be on the new red epaulet sleeves or not.

The Air Force is calling it the "Civil Air Patrol Heritage Initiative" (CAP-HI) to hark back to our original uniform.

Will all the airplanes also be painted yellow in keeping with a heritage initiative?
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP