Honorable Service Ribbon Initiative

Started by PaulR, December 27, 2010, 04:13:54 PM

PaulR

What is the status of the initiative to create an Honorable Service Ribbon?  I feel that the member who made the proposal had a great idea. 

lordmonar

I don't see the need.

Just wear your military ribbons.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jeders

I believe this was for the corporate uniform where military ribbons weren't allowed.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JeffDG

IIRC, it failed for lack of second at the NB meeting where it was proposed.

James Shaw

Quote from: PaulR on December 27, 2010, 04:13:54 PM
What is the status of the initiative to create an Honorable Service Ribbon?  I feel that the member who made the proposal had a great idea.

It was put before the board twice and it failed both times to get a second. It was also discussed quite a bit before the board and the support was not there.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

PaulR

That is a real shame.  It was truly an excellent idea.  What were some of the cons brought up by the board? 

JohnKachenmeister

IIRC, the con was that brain-dead CAP officers would become confused and wear it on the USAF uniform.  It was specifically designed to NOT be worn on the USAF uniform, since it would duplicate what military ribbons represented.
Another former CAP officer

PaulR

I thought that it could be worn in lieu of military ribbons on the AF uniform as well, as an option. 

Well, it is a good idea... keep bringing it up.  Sooner or later, it will get approved. 

JeffDG

Quote from: PaulR on December 27, 2010, 07:03:30 PM
I thought that it could be worn in lieu of military ribbons on the AF uniform as well, as an option. 

Well, it is a good idea... keep bringing it up.  Sooner or later, it will get approved.

Well, a motion that fails for lack of second means you've got a LONG way to go, over 30 votes shy as a matter of fact.

lordmonar

Quote from: PaulR on December 27, 2010, 07:03:30 PM

The only way I would support it......is if was used to replace all military ribons on all uniforms....not optional.

Our uniform rules are already a mess as they are....we need to make them simpler.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

flyboy53

Sorry, I'd rather wear my military stuff.

I felt this was just another lame ribbon in a pile of ribbons that really don't have that much meaning. Besides, one ribbon doesn't make up for seven decorations and five rows of ribbons. We would be better served trying to get NHQ to adopt full-sized medals instead of another ribbon.

Major Carrales

Quote from: flyboy1 on December 27, 2010, 09:14:35 PM
Sorry, I'd rather wear my military stuff.

I felt this was just another lame ribbon in a pile of ribbons that really don't have that much meaning. Besides, one ribbon doesn't make up for seven decorations and five rows of ribbons. We would be better served trying to get NHQ to adopt full-sized medals instead of another ribbon.

While I agree that full-sized medals would be a good idea.  I find your demeaning of CAP awards insulting.  CAP ribbons have meaning, don't belittle them through "apples/oranges" comparisons to military awards.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 27, 2010, 06:39:08 PM
IIRC, the con was that brain-dead CAP officers would become confused and wear it on the USAF uniform.  It was specifically designed to NOT be worn on the USAF uniform, since it would duplicate what military ribbons represented.

Doesn't that kind of disenfranchise those CAP members who have no prior military service, and yet choose to wear the AF-type uniform, who are losing the CSU through incomprehensible thinking by National and who don't like the mall cop uniform?

Heck, all NHQ would have to do is authorise a version of the Commemorative HSM available from Medals of America (though it probably couldn't be worn on the AF uniform, since "commemoratives" aren't authorised for military uniform):

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

Quote from: CyBorg on December 27, 2010, 09:57:34 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 27, 2010, 06:39:08 PM

Doesn't that kind of disenfranchise those CAP members who have no prior military service, and yet choose to wear the AF-type uniform, who are losing the CSU through incomprehensible thinking by National and who don't like the mall cop uniform?

Heck, all NHQ would have to do is authorise a version of the Commemorative HSM available from Medals of America (though it probably couldn't be worn on the AF uniform, since "commemoratives" aren't authorised for military uniform):

+1 on this, no cost to develop and looks sharp.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

The CyBorg is destroyed

The "Armed Forces Of The United States" inscription would need to be changed.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

Quote from: CyBorg on December 27, 2010, 10:21:31 PM

UHHH Why?  This would represent honorable service in the Armed Forces. That is what the whole initiative was about......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: cap235629 on December 27, 2010, 10:30:53 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on December 27, 2010, 10:21:31 PM

UHHH Why?  This would represent honorable service in the Armed Forces. That is what the whole initiative was about......

My bad...I thought it was ribbon for CAP service, but we already have the Red Service Ribbon... :-[
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Ned

FWIW, I was in the room during the presentation of this proposal, and the general reaction was "we have too many ribbons as it is, and we shouldn't authorize another one (even for a good reason like this) until we have some sort of comprehensive review.'

So, my 2 cents would be to include this very worthwhile proposal as part of the whole "39-1 and 39-3 clean-up and revision process."  Preferably coupled with a proposal to de-authorize some current ribbons.

And yes, no one really knows when the 39-1 revisions will surface.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Ned on December 27, 2010, 10:49:31 PM

Wake me when they do, will you, Sir? >:D

But I agree that there are a few ribbons we have that could probably be consolidated.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

arajca

I'm sure that, if there was some assurance our work would be looked at fairly, there's one or two folks here who happily take that chore on.

I'll be the first to sign on.
Quote from: Ned on December 27, 2010, 10:49:31 PM
FWIW, I was in the room during the presentation of this proposal, and the general reaction was "we have too many ribbons as it is, and we shouldn't authorize another one (even for a good reason like this) until we have some sort of comprehensive review.'

So, my 2 cents would be to include this very worthwhile proposal as part of the whole "39-1 and 39-3 clean-up and revision process."  Preferably coupled with a proposal to de-authorize some current ribbons.