What constitutes a "Highly Decorated CAP Officer?"

Started by Major Carrales, September 19, 2010, 11:42:54 PM

James Shaw

Quote from: FW on September 20, 2010, 02:36:39 AM
^I like what  you say, Jim.  For me, "highly decorated"  in CAP is one who is highly regarded by their fellow members.  Someone who is well noted for their fine work; selfless, productive and useful.  Ribbons are nice however, they more are a show of self achievement.  I'm more concerned with what one does to improve CAP (at any level).

Agreed whole heartidly. I know members who are great in CP and do nothing else. They are great for the program and are workhorses for CAP. I respect them just as much as I do as someone who participates in all three missions.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

RiverAux

I think I would have a hard time using this phrase with a straight face.  Yes, I value CAP decorations for what they represent, but the average non-CAP member would seem likely to start thinking of combat valor awards and the like and that just isn't us. 

Of course, since there is no national tracking of most awards there is no way to really judge who is "highly decorated" and who is not based on just about any criteria that you choose.  Interestingly, since CG Aux tracks all of their awards (including CG awards earned by Auxies), you could easily come up with an average number of awards per Auxie that would give you a baseline. 

Major Carrales

I began this discussing only CAP awards and decorations (in that Active Duty and Guard Ribbons and the like are of a different rubric altogehter)

Would the award of badges and wings make a difference in what "highly decorated" might be defined?

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Given the narrow definition of "decoration" that most seem to be using, no.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

James Shaw

I agree with SarDragon.

You can work towards and earn the Specialty Tracks, Wings, and such. You have things you know you can do to qualify for them.

The items listed earlier are not the same way. They may come as a result of working in those areas but are not a "check off" system.

Silver Medal of Valor
Bronze Medal of Valor
Distinguished Service Medal
Exceptional Service Award
Meritorious Service Award
Commander's Commendation Award
CAP Achievement Award
Certificate of Recognition for Lifesaving
National Commander's Unit Citation Award
Unit Citation Award

The only exceptions would be the Spaatz and the Wilson. You do have to go beyond the checklist to some extent to earn one of these. IMHO
Jim Shaw

BillB

You forgot the National Commanders Award which was one step ABOVE the Wilson.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

SarDragon

Quote from: BillB on September 21, 2010, 11:23:53 AM
You forgot the National Commanders Award which was one step ABOVE the Wilson.

Weren't those two awards equivalent, the Wilson being a replacement for the National Commander's Citation? They are the same ribbon, with the new award being the olde one inverted.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

No,  The National Commanders Award also required graduation from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces (Now National Defense University) and also Air War College. Both by corrospondance or resident study.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Thunder

In my mind, a lifesaving ribbon would affect my view on the wearer. There is just something noble about that award that the others don't convey. Same with the "valor" series

4fhoward

I would consider CAPR 39-3 Section B to determine what a decoration is.  I think it means Unit Citation and above.  If you have someone with a number of these ribbons, with or without attachments, that is "Highly Decorated".

MSG Mac

BG Rich Andertson is probably the most decorated CAP Officer. He has every CAP award from the Silver Medal of Valor down.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Flying Pig

I would have to say falling in the category of "Highly Decorated" would require a valor award.  And we only have 2 of them.  Really, all the rest are service or education awards for the most part.  I would say you would need a SMoV or BMoV to be in the running for "Highly Decorated". In the military you can have every service medal on the books, if you dont have a valor award or minimum of a Purple Heart, nobody is going to refer to you as "decorated".  At least in the military, Fire, LE, EMS the term "decorated" almost always referring to valor.   Although we are not any of those organizations, and this is just for discussion and not a hard definition, I still think the term as an industry standard is reserved for those with valor awards.

RiverAux

I'd agree to that though I'd probably want to pesonally know the circumstances of the CAP valor award before using the phrase even then given the somewhat erratic standards used for issuing some of them in the past. 

James Shaw

Personally I don't think that the actual details matter for the Valor Awards. I would only look at the person did or did not receive it.

I have made an impromptu CAP Calculation Table for the Overall program standing and the Decorations standing. This is not a "Official" CAP thing. This is just something I thought of. You can calculate your own and post if wanted or just make a mental note of the number. Just an idea.
Jim Shaw

jimmydeanno

So, if I did you calculations as noted in the table, I think, I'd have 570 total points with 199 in the "decorations" category.  I'm not sure what that means...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Chappie

Quote from: caphistorian on September 24, 2010, 06:40:57 PM
Personally I don't think that the actual details matter for the Valor Awards. I would only look at the person did or did not receive it.

I have made an impromptu CAP Calculation Table for the Overall program standing and the Decorations standing. This is not a "Official" CAP thing. This is just something I thought of. You can calculate your own and post if wanted or just make a mental note of the number. Just an idea.

Okay...according to the calculation table, I would have 475 in the Actual Decorations Category and 345 in the other (programs/activities?) category for a grand total of <<<<drumroll>>>> 820 points.

I would suggest the use of the term "highly accomplished" rather than "highly decorated" for those who have not earned the valor awards....just a thought since we are not AD.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

jimmydeanno

Why skirt around the terminology?  They are CAP decorations.  Receiving them makes you decorated.  If you have a lot of them, you become "highly decorated."

No sense in making up new terms just because some "RM" guy gets all steamed up because he's drawing parallels that don't exist.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

James Shaw

Quote from: Chappie on September 24, 2010, 06:57:27 PM
I would suggest the use of the term "highly accomplished" rather than "hignly decorated" for those who have not earned the valor awards....just a thought since we are not AD.

I use the term "decorations" because that is the way it is listed in 39-3 and for no other reason. But thanks for the thought.
Jim Shaw

Chappie

Quote from: caphistorian on September 24, 2010, 07:10:29 PM
Quote from: Chappie on September 24, 2010, 06:57:27 PM
I would suggest the use of the term "highly accomplished" rather than "hignly decorated" for those who have not earned the valor awards....just a thought since we are not AD.

I use the term "decorations" because that is the way it is listed in 39-3 and for no other reason. But thanks for the thought.

Not a problem...thanks for the table.  That was fun :)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

RiverAux

Quote from: caphistorian on September 24, 2010, 06:40:57 PM

Okay, I never want to hear anyone say that I have too much time on my hands ever again.