small arms expert marksmanship ribbon

Started by brasda91, June 27, 2010, 11:42:17 PM

jb512

Throwing my two pennies in, the score sheet showing that you scored expert is all you need to take to the MPF to get your ribbon and/or star for the AF.  As far as how that applies to CAP, who knows...

For anyone who's interested, the current criteria for the Air Medal and the Aerial Achievement Medal is found in the USCENTAF Decoration Guidebook located here:

http://www.afwriting.com/guides/USCENTAF_DecGuide_Dec04.doc

AF members have to fill out their Form 1 showing how many combat missions you've flown in the AOR for the AM or combat/combat support missions for the AAM.  It looks like it would be difficult for a non-AF member to be awarded the AM unless there was a single qualifying event that was combat related. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Is the Air Medal a "combat-only" award?

I had thought the criteria was "Meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

jb512

Quote from: CyBorg on July 06, 2010, 08:46:35 PM

I had thought the criteria was "Meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight."

That's the broad criteria but the USCENTAF has specified in the guidebook what determines the achievement:

"AMs are not awarded for peacetime sustained operational activities and flights."

"Missions must have been flown within the USCENTCOM Area of Responsibility (AOR) and entered CFACC designated hostile airspace."

SarDragon

Quote from: CyBorg on July 06, 2010, 08:46:35 PM

Today's AM criteria have little relevance to the ones awarded to CAP members 60-some years ago. The folks in charge at that time made the determination, and they were awarded.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 06, 2010, 08:17:27 PMFor anyone who's interested, the current criteria for the Air Medal and the Aerial Achievement Medal is found in the USCENTAF Decoration Guidebook located here:

http://www.afwriting.com/guides/USCENTAF_DecGuide_Dec04.doc

AF members have to fill out their Form 1 showing how many combat missions you've flown in the AOR for the AM or combat/combat support missions for the AAM.  It looks like it would be difficult for a non-AF member to be awarded the AM unless there was a single qualifying event that was combat related.

Please note....that is how CENTAF is awarding it.....not how the USAF could award it to CAP if we ever got into the supporting a war operations.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP