Presenting an Aerospace Education activity at an encampment

Started by ascorbate, March 29, 2009, 03:14:47 PM

ascorbate

Was wondering if anyone has taken on the responsibility of presenting an aerospace education activity (eg. lecture, demonstration) at an encampment? If so, what did you present and how receptive was the cadet audience to your presentation? What might you do differently if you were tasked with presenting a second time? What kinds of topics and/or practical demonstrations would cadets perceive as being "cool"?

BTW: I would enjoy hearing from cadets as well as seniors.
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

SaBeR33

I've never made a presentation of this sort, but I would highly recommend the presentation have some kind of hands-on portion, especially if it's being held later in the week since the cadets will undoubtedly be a bit drowsy. Space related topics are usually a hit with cadets. My basic encampment had a NASA AE teacher who brought a whole slew of products NASA either developed in-house or with a commercial partner that were eventually introduced into the commercial market, e.g., TANG, Fisher Space pens, and some other neat stuff that I no longer remember, that we got to handle. She also brought in space rocks that were passed around. Cadets should have something to essentially play with to keep it interesting instead of "Death by PowerPoint." I should also mention she had us get up and do some stretches to keep us alert.

Eclipse

I agree the more interactive the better - trying to teach the three dynamics of flight to 12 year olds who have spend the last couple of days without caffeine, off their sleep schedules and who are more active than normal can be somewhat of a challenge.

Make sure to clear the logistics in advance, not all venues can support all class room ideas. The time allotted is important as well some encampments have very tight schedules with very little flexibility.

In terms of actual content, in the past one of the most interesting ones has been an AE history lesson by the nephew of one of the pilots of Bockscar, including historical uniforms, discussions of figures off of the cadets' ribbon rack, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

notaNCO forever

When I did my basic the AE class involved making fuguerockets; it was a safe interesting activity that everyone liked. Fugue rockets are just film canisters with the fins, body, and cone made out of paper; you just use water and alcaseltser to power. You can find exact instructions in the model rocketry guide.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: NCO forever on March 29, 2009, 10:05:05 PM
When I did my basic the AE class involved making fuguerockets; it was a safe interesting activity that everyone liked. Fugue rockets are just film canisters with the fins, body, and cone made out of paper; you just use water and alcaseltser to power. You can find exact instructions in the model rocketry guide.

I think those are Fuji rockets. Like the film brand.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: phirons on March 29, 2009, 10:09:37 PM

I think those are Fuji rockets. Like the film brand.

I forgot how it was spelled, but that is what I meant.

Always Ready

^Yeah that's we did at my basic encampment too...and for an AE activity at the squadron...and I did it again for something else. It's fun the first few times and then it gets old. I've wanted to make a Fuji rocket ban so many times it's not funny ;)

WIWAC, I hated AE. I loved aerospace itself, but I hated the medium at which *most* SMs presented it (the same activities or long boring briefings). After avoiding AE as a SM for over a year, somehow I was voluntold to become the AEO when I transfered here. I've tried to stay away from the things I hated or, to a lesser extent, disliked as a cadet. That's the main advice I can offer you. Think back to when you were a cadet and try to do activities that you enjoyed. If you enjoy the activity, chances are the cadets will too.

Being an encampment activity it can be harder, but try something hands-on, simple, and cheap. Stay away from briefings because they get enough of that as it is. Paper airplane competitions and making paper helicopters are always easy hits. Hold a competition to see which flight can get their plane to fly the farthest or the fastest. Hold a paper helicopter competition to see which helo takes the longest to drop from a two story building. These are examples of easy and fun activities that builds teamwork, strengths leadership traits, and stimulates their brains. Have them discuss afterwards which characteristics of their craft were best suited for the task and explain how those factors translate into "real world" situations (autorotation with helicopters, gliding with airplanes,...read emergency landings...). Make sure they understand the forces at play. Keep the after action discussion short, but relevant. Don't discuss anything before hand except for the rules/guidelines you are giving them. Let them experiment and learn. Even go through multiple rounds of this. Most of the cadets will walk away with more knowledge and a smile on their face.

ol'fido

One of the fun activities at the Illinois Wing Summer Encampment the last few years has been pop bottles rocketry using home made gear, a bicycle pump, and 2 liter soda bottles.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006