Expanding the Model Rocketry Program

Started by arajca, January 09, 2012, 12:42:48 AM

arajca

Since the Model Rocketry is arguably the most interesting aspect of the CAP internal AE program, why not provide for a continuing program with defined stages and awards instead of a one shot deal. The NAR has a three stage program that could serve as a starting point for an additional three stages.

As a part of this is a ribbon device recognizing the additional stage completion for both cadets and seniors.

Dad2-4

Agreed that the rocketry program could be expanded beyond the current program. I like the idea of levels, sort of like specialty track levels of technician, senior, and master.
(edit)
Is this the program you refer to?
http://www.nar.org/NARTREK/

titanII

On a slightly unrelated note, I would like to change the Model Rocketry Badge. To me it just looks... odd. Maybe change it to more of a wing-style badge. Although it isn't exactly a specialty track, or a rating like in ES... hmmm...
No longer active on CAP talk

rustyjeeper

Quote from: titanII on January 09, 2012, 11:55:07 PM
On a slightly unrelated note, I would like to change the Model Rocketry Badge. To me it just looks... odd.

To me it looks like a rocketry badge >:D
rockets arent supposed to have wings they are supposed to have fins- want wings learn to fly  :)

titanII

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 09, 2012, 11:59:13 PM
Quote from: titanII on January 09, 2012, 11:55:07 PM
On a slightly unrelated note, I would like to change the Model Rocketry Badge. To me it just looks... odd.

To me it looks like a rocketry badge >:D
rockets arent supposed to have wings they are supposed to have fins- want wings learn to fly  :)
Good point... but what about the Air Force's Space and Missile Badge? That badge has wings, and is intended for rocketry.

Just sayin'

Dad2-4

Maybe something along the lines of the USAF missle badge (the pocket rocket) or a modification of the current CAP badge. Basic badge for NARTRECK bronze, star on top for senior (NARTRECK Silver) and star with wreath for master (NARTRECK Gold). Seniors, if not wearing the same badge as cadets, might wear a badge similar to the former USAF space and missle occupational badge (not the new "space wings").

BTCS1*

Personally, I like the CAP Model Rocketry Badge partially for it's similarity (in some ways) to the USAF "pocket rocket". Well, that and I love rockets...
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

titanII

Quote from: BTCS1* on January 10, 2012, 02:33:02 AM
Personally, I like the CAP Model Rocketry Badge partially for it's similarity (in some ways) to the USAF "pocket rocket". Well, that and I love rockets...
Believe me, I love rockets as much as the next guy, but to me the current CAP Model Rocketry Badge seems in some way not as "legit" as other badges, because of it's unusual shape.

rustyjeeper

Quote from: titanII on January 10, 2012, 02:46:08 AM
Believe me, I love rockets as much as the next guy, but to me the current CAP Model Rocketry Badge seems in some way not as "legit" as other badges, because of it's unusual shape.
How about this....http://www.clipartof.com/portfolio/toonaday/illustration/cartoon-greyhound-dog-running-upright-440193.html
I bet someone at NHQ loves it> ties in nicely with the "dog theme"  ;D now if only we can get a triangle thingy worked in as well.....

arajca

Quote from: Dad2-4 on January 09, 2012, 11:45:13 PM
Agreed that the rocketry program could be expanded beyond the current program. I like the idea of levels, sort of like specialty track levels of technician, senior, and master.
(edit)
Is this the program you refer to?
http://www.nar.org/NARTREK/
Yes. Some aspects are covered in our current proram which is why I suggested using NARTREK as a starting point for further development.

arajca

I'd say that makes it more unique and different.

As to whether seniors would wear it, no. That's what the devices on the Yeager ribbon are for. Besides, seniors have enough options for wearing on the pocket.

arajca

Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 10, 2012, 02:55:09 AM
How about this....http://www.clipartof.com/portfolio/toonaday/illustration/cartoon-greyhound-dog-running-upright-440193.html
I bet someone at NHQ loves it> ties in nicely with the "dog theme"  ;D now if only we can get a triangle thingy worked in as well.....
Try it. I dare you. I'll get the rope for the lynch mob.

Actually how about these?

Dad2-4

rustyjeeper

Quote from: arajca on January 10, 2012, 06:42:51 AM
Quote from: rustyjeeper on January 10, 2012, 02:55:09 AM
Try it. I dare you. I'll get the rope for the lynch mob.

Actually how about these?

I like it!
but I still think that what we would end up with is something like what I found :(
before taking on the "bling" we need to get our basic programs more "functional" with more members participating.
AND keep your rope ;) I wasnt serious, I was kidding around

LGM30GMCC

Heh, part of me would say if you are going to go that far, may as well flatten off the top and bottom of the badge. I definitely like keeping the heraldry and basis on the USAF Missile and Missile Operations Badge. Especially considering the Missile Badge is the second oldest (after wings) badge currently in service. (Only pilot wings are older.)

That being said, the biggest bling change I would see would be ditching the patch, and just having cloth version for BDUs.

All that being said, I do like the idea of an expanded model rocketry program.

(People already do confuse the missile ops badge with a 'senior member model rocketry badge.' This usually just makes me chuckle.)

arajca

I've expanded it again and included the badges in with the concepts.

lordmonar

I like it.

Somehow incorporate the current CAP rocketry information/tests into the program and I don't see a problem.

On a uniform note....I would just drop the patch all together.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Basic and Senior written tests cover these. May have to rearrange the questions a bit to fit all 30 into two tests. I haven't gone into great detail yet - no time.

Mariner

O.K. I am a little confused (my normal state of mind). I just got my membership in CAP and was asked to teach a rocketry class as I am level 2 certified with the NAR. I wasn't even aware that there was a rocketry thing for senior memebers. Could someone point me in the correct direction to find out more about it.

Thanks

Karl

arajca

At this time, the model rocketry program is for cadets. I am merely presenting an idea to expand it.

Here is the current program.