Main Menu

Axis

Started by umpirecali, July 24, 2019, 02:47:59 PM

umpirecali

Has anyone else noticed a lag in taking things in Axis and it showing up in reports.  I have seen it twice now.  One cadet took the ground handling course and it didn't show up until the next day on the report, and earlier today a cadet took and passed the 116, but when I run the GES report in ops qual, it doesn't show that task as completed.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Gunsotsu

AXIS is another prime example of someone at national reinventing the wheel to justify the expense.

TheSkyHornet

Yup, I noticed it as well.

THRAWN

So....Axis is evil?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Gunsotsu on July 24, 2019, 05:56:25 PM
AXIS is another prime example of someone at national reinventing the wheel to justify the expense.

Don't forget also making the solution arguably worse than the original option by almost every metric.

jjmalott

I was informed the easiest way for any individual member to ensure that their record is updated immediately is to simply log out and then back into eServices again upon completing something in AXIS.

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP
National eLearning Coordinator

Eclipse

Quote from: jjmalott on July 25, 2019, 12:35:10 AM
I was informed the easiest way for any individual member to ensure that their record is updated immediately is to simply log out and then back into eServices again upon completing something in AXIS.

Without defending Axis, that's been the case for any number of eServices modules.

It's not uncommon (or wasn't), to perform some action for which you are the approver, and
still have to go out and in, sometimes with a delay, to actually "approve" the thing you just did.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Does simply reloading the page (F5) work?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Gunsotsu

Quote from: jjmalott on July 25, 2019, 12:35:10 AM

So, "Have you tried turning it off and back on again?"

That just screams "Excellence."

hfriday

The question I have regarding AXIS is simple: "why?"

Why are some of the LMS trainings and tests moved to this new platform? Why do others remain in LMS? It's hard enough trying to get people to do their professional development courses without spreading them out randomly all across the doggone Internet.

If they have to be in AXIS for some reason, fine, but put them ALL there, so we PDOs don't have to check in all the time on where this or that training happens to live right now.

Holding Pattern

I just want to know how much NHQ paid for it.

Eclipse

Quote from: Holding Pattern on July 25, 2019, 05:43:19 PM
I just want to know how much NHQ paid for it.
No, you probably don't.  Any time pricing is "Call Us" the result is "squeeze balls for everyone"...

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I think the benefit is that adding new classes will be something NHQ IT does not need to do. Of course if the new class is required to do or qualify for something IT will have to write the import of the new data to eServcies.

Given eServices complete lack of external API, (Nevermind the new reCAPTCHA, no web scraping for you inventive types in the field) I suspect Axis data is fed to eServices thru some data file process which likely runs on a schedule.

Eclipse

Jee-bus that reCAPTCHA is a spectacularly annoying waste of time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

It was really annoying me last night.
Five (5) rounds of buses, crosswalks, traffic lights, and bridges.
I was ready to scream.

Then, other days, just click the box and go. Makes no sense.

V/r
Spam

Luis R. Ramos

They wanna make sure they   GOTCHA!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

NIN

Quote from: hfriday on July 25, 2019, 01:48:25 PM
The question I have regarding AXIS is simple: "why?"

Why are some of the LMS trainings and tests moved to this new platform? Why do others remain in LMS? It's hard enough trying to get people to do their professional development courses without spreading them out randomly all across the doggone Internet.

If they have to be in AXIS for some reason, fine, but put them ALL there, so we PDOs don't have to check in all the time on where this or that training happens to live right now.

Part of the reason for the move to a commercial LMS was that the existing LMS was hand-rolled years ago, conformed to no standards, and was clunky.  Some classes were done one way, some another, yet still more a third or fourth way, to the point where there wasn't much commonality. "Here, lets put the next button on the bottom.  Or the top. Or over here on the right. Or maybe it will be on a timer."

The reason things are in both places is that stuff is moving and it takes time. IIRC (and I might be wrong), Jared Peregoy, our Instructional Designer, is the only person right now moving content from the old LMS to the new Axis system. Last I knew, he was targeting 2 courses a week to get moved over. And some take longer than others because of the way they were hand-coded into the old LMS.  You have to do some massaging of the course materials to get it to "fit." Which is why the target is 2 per week. I'm sure if he gets 2-3 that are "easy moves" he's not going say "Huh, done by Tuesday, I guess I'll just sit on my hands until next week.." 

Once they're all in Axis, it will be a different matter. Transitions are always a pain.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Holding Pattern

Do you happen to know if the packages are SCORM compliant?

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jjmalott

Quote from: Holding Pattern on July 25, 2019, 08:43:26 PM
Do you happen to know if the packages are SCORM compliant?

They are not

Jeff Malott, Lt Col, CAP
National eLearning Coordinator

hfriday

Thanks for the clarification, Colonel Ninness. Growing pains for CAP nationally are hard on a little squadron like mine. We will keep trying to make do.