New Cadet Programs Specialty Track Pamphlet P216 published

Started by paul83814, January 23, 2014, 05:40:38 PM

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on April 03, 2014, 06:07:52 PM
Wow - didn't realize it went that far back - I remember taking one of the first sessions in my Region, if not the
country after it was rolled out.

The only reason I remember that is because I was on the wing cadet programs staff at the time and got plenty of questions and complaints about the course.  Complaints very similar to the one described above.

Eclipse

OK, so please help my feeble mind.

Was the requirement put in place in 2003, but there was no curriculum until 2005/06?

I went back and looked and I took my first one in Nov 2006, I did another one at encampment in 2007.

At the time I did mine, I recall there was a lot of buzz about this being "new", and because of that
they were waiving the requirements for instructors to have also attended since they were few and far between.
The POC was a newly minted Region DCP who had just attended one herself.

Was this just new in my Region? Or am I hallucinating?

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

I recall that we were the first to do it in CAWG, hosting the course, that is- because we had several members in our unit that needed it, and there was quite a backlog demand wise, for people to advance, and the Wing had not done it yet, nor was it on the calendar. So some members stepped up and said "what will it take.. we'll do it for you, and offer it to the masses.." and we even had Curt LaFond come because I want to say it was one of, if not the first time, the curriculum had been offered.  The roster was filled within a couple weeks of the announcement and the draw was the members from as far as 500 miles, and most traveled several hours.  This was in early 2005. Many of the photos in the first publications since have been from that session.

LSThiker

Quote from: a2capt on April 04, 2014, 02:14:53 AM
This was in early 2005. Many of the photos in the first publications since have been from that session.

Correct.  Even though the requirement was released in 2003, the curriculum did not come out official until early 2005.

lordmonar

IIRC the requirement was for you to teach a TLC to get your CP master rating.....but there was not requirement to attend it to get tech or senior.

Then they added the requirement to the SUI to have 2 TLC trained members, then expanded it to be part of the quality unit program.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pingree1492

The requirement to attend TLC for the Senior rating is not new- at least not since 2006.  I'm pretty sure they did add the verbage about "recommend two changes to the squadron commander based on the class," as I don't remember having to do that for my senior.

And teaching at TLC was definitely a requirement for Master rating, as it was pretty much my sole motivating factor for being a course director for TLC.  However, once I put on one course, I enjoyed it so much I directed a few more.  Great times, and made a lot of good contacts throughout the wing.

Giving up a weekend is hard, I know, but done right this course is definitely worth it!
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)