Main Menu

Cadet safety officer-NEW

Started by ElectricPenguin, January 05, 2011, 07:53:27 PM

ElectricPenguin

Last night, i was told (by a rather unformal way) that i was the new safety officer. Do i have to say im "Cadet safety officer coolican" or something like that now??? (Yes my name is coolican)

Spaceman3750

No, you're still Cadet Airman/Sergeant/Lieutenant/Captain/Major/Colonol Cooligan, your "job" is Cadet Safety Officer.

SarDragon

That would depend entirely on the context of the conversation. But, mostly no. You are still Cadet [grade] Coolican, for most purposes, and would only refer to yourself as "the cadet safety officer", that being a position, and not a form of address.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

But wouldn't that be cool, especially for those us who wear a bunch of different hats.

Spaceman3750

"Hello, my name is Emergency Services Safety Communications Public Affairs Professional Development Officer Bagodoughnuts"

JeffDG

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 05, 2011, 08:25:28 PM
"Hello, my name is Emergency Services Safety Communications Public Affairs Professional Development Officer Bagodoughnuts"
You forgot 2d Lt. >:D

ElectricPenguin

HAHAHAHA! lol nice!!!

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JeffDG on January 05, 2011, 08:26:29 PM
You forgot 2d Lt. >:D

"And this is my colleague, Commander Testing Cadet Activities Recruiting Operations Character Development Asst. Aerospace Education Officer 2nd Lieutenant Flysaplane"

Al Sayre

Hi, I'm the not the chaplain but almost everything else Major Disaster...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

brasda91

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on January 05, 2011, 07:53:27 PM
Last night, i was told (by a rather unformal way) that i was the new safety officer. Do i have to say im "Cadet safety officer coolican" or something like that now??? (Yes my name is coolican)

I would have asked you if you want to be the Cadet Safety Officer.  Is your unit a high risk unit?  Lots of accidents?  Other than that, I'm not assigning any of our Cadets as the Cadet Safety Officer.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Hawk200

Starting to think that maybe appropriate terms of address should be covered for everyone. Had a senior send out an email the other day saying that "Commander Smith has approved such and such." The unit commander is a captain.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 06, 2011, 03:43:14 PM
Starting to think that maybe appropriate terms of address should be covered for everyone. Had a senior send out an email the other day saying that "Commander Smith has approved such and such." The unit commander is a captain.

Along with correct grade abbreviations. I see a lot of people using Army abbreviations, even on this board.

Eclipse

Quote from: brasda91 on January 06, 2011, 03:42:50 PM
Quote from: ElectricPenguin on January 05, 2011, 07:53:27 PM

I would have asked you if you want to be the Cadet Safety Officer.  Is your unit a high risk unit?  Lots of accidents?  Other than that, I'm not assigning any of our Cadets as the Cadet Safety Officer.

Quoth the most recent 62-1:
e. Cadet Safety Officers.   A cadet should be assigned as an assistant to the unit staff
safety officer in all units (squadrons, wings, regions and National level) that have cadet
members.
  The primary role of the cadet safety officer is to study and mentor under the
supervision of the unit safety officer.  They will learn the primary functions of the unit safety
officer and be given the opportunity to demonstrate skills in safety leadership, education and
presentations.  Cadet safety officers will provide liaisons between the unit safety officer and
cadet command staff

I will grant this is a "should" vs. a "will", but I have already been led to believe that in my wing (and since our region is commanded
by someone who lives in my wing), it is "less" than optional.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Since Cadets aren't listed in the Duty Assignment function of eServices, how is anyone going to tell if you have one or not without going through all of the Cadet personnel files looking for a 2a?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Like any other duty assignment for a cadet - PA to the echelon asking, same as for CAC.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

You typically give a PA to your higher HQ, they have them on file, they can look at them all.