Participation-Ground Team Member

Started by Picy3, August 10, 2018, 01:04:34 AM

Picy3

This should be simple, exactly what events count as a " Participation-Ground Team Member" to get that crossed out? I just realised im only 11 tasks from my gtm3 and those being one of the big ones i thought i should figure out what i need to do.

Also on a side note, if im going to ask to do the ICUT test by going up the chain of command who would i ask (as a flight sergeant)?
Cadet Second Lieutenant who finally passed his Mitchell.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV
Alpha Flight Commander - 2019 ACIV

lordmonar

The last question first.

If you don't know your chain of command...........I'm going to be nice......but........how can you as a flight sergeant not know your chain of command?   But to help you out.   ICUT is communications training.....who in your squadron is in charge of communications?

For your first question.....you need to talk to your ES training Officer/NCO.  But basically Exercise Participation is just that.   Act as a GTM 3 under supervisions of a GTM SET for at least two sorties/exercises/missions. You do those after you have all other tasks signed off.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on August 10, 2018, 01:26:44 AMYou do those after you have all other tasks signed off.

Mission participation counts after the Fam / Prep tasks are completed and the member's CC apparoves
the completes of fam / prep.

Advanced tasks do not have to be completed to get mission participation (or find credit, either).

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Picy3 on August 10, 2018, 01:04:34 AM
This should be simple, exactly what events count as a " Participation-Ground Team Member" to get that crossed out? I just realised im only 11 tasks from my gtm3 and those being one of the big ones i thought i should figure out what i need to do.

Also on a side note, if im going to ask to do the ICUT test by going up the chain of command who would i ask (as a flight sergeant)?

To answer in reverse order, the ICUT online segment is available from the Online Learning tab after you log in to eServices. Select CAP On-line Courses & Exams, which will take you to the main CAP site. Scroll down into the Operations section, and select Introductory Communications User Training (ICUT) and have at it. Once that is completed, you can have one of your Comm folks in the unit do the practical part with you.

To answer the second part, Exercise Participation-Ground Team Member means that you need to participate in two mission as a GTM3. The first one can be supervised. For the second one, you must successfully accomplish all the tasks unaided, the achieve you qualification. All this is explained in CAPR 60-3.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on August 10, 2018, 01:43:11 AMThe first one can be supervised. For the second one, you must successfully accomplish all the tasks unaided, the achieve you qualification.

?

They both have to be supervised (i.e. a current and qualified SET in that respective qualification must be present), but beyond
that there is no difference between #1 & #2.
CAPR 60-3, Page 25:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R060_003_075A4369FBA8E.pdf
"c. Finally, after completing familiarization and preparatory training, supervised trainees
must complete advanced training and participate satisfactorily in two missions before a CAPF
101 is approved and a member is considered "Qualified." Advanced training covers the
remainder of the tasks required for specialty qualification. On actual missions, it is expected that
these tasks could be accomplished by the trainee's supervisor or other fully trained members if
they became critical. These tasks do not have to be completed in a mission setting though. It is
acceptable for these tasks to be accomplished with similar familiarization and preparatory tasks
during routine unit training or in a formal school like the National Emergency Services
Academy. Prior approval and additional risk mitigation measures will be required by the
mission approval authority in order for these personnel to participate in a mission. Because all
trainees are properly supervised at all times, trainees are allowed to learn these "on the job."
These two "missions" do not have to be on different mission numbers, be AFAMs, or be
completed after all other advanced training is complete, but personnel must have completed all
familiarization and preparatory training in order to receive credit for these sorties. These sorties
must be complete sorties and/or operating periods where the member participates in all aspects of
their assigned mission specialty. It is possible to participate in more than one specialty on a
given mission or day. "

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

Quoteyou need to participate in two mission as a GTM3. The first one can be supervised. For the second one, you must successfully accomplish all the tasks unaided, the achieve you qualification.
Really?
QuoteAll this is explained in CAPR 60-3.
I can't find these mission requirements in 60-3, the SQTR or task guide.

Mike

Picy3

Quote from: lordmonar on August 10, 2018, 01:26:44 AM
If you don't know your chain of command...........I'm going to be nice......but........how can you as a flight sergeant not know your chain of command?   But to help you out.   ICUT is communications training.....who in your squadron is in charge of communications?

For my ICUT, I have already done it but need to do the exam (should have clarified, but I'm bad at wording questions  :-\  ), I simply meant would I send a request up the chain or go directly to the comm guy.

Also I realized I still have one PREP training task (I was pretty sure I had them all done...) left so I guess that is the problem.
Cadet Second Lieutenant who finally passed his Mitchell.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV
Alpha Flight Commander - 2019 ACIV

Eclipse

Quote from: Picy3 on August 10, 2018, 03:31:47 AM
For my ICUT, I have already done it but need to do the exam (should have clarified, but I'm bad at wording questions  :-\  ), I simply meant would I send a request up the chain or go directly to the comm guy.

The ICUT exam is done online, you can do it whenever you want.

The practical has to be done in person with the comm officer or someone else who is an SET for ICUT.

You only need to go through the chain if your unit requires it, otherwise go direct.
Also, the ICUT SET doesn't even have to be from your unit, or even your wing if
you encounter one at a mission, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

waukwiz

Wings have different procedures regarding Exercise Participations. For example, the approved WIWG supplement to CAPR 60-3 states the following:
Quote(2). Added. Evaluators may only sign the second mission participation line on any SQTR if the member is able to perform in the specialty without supervision. This rule does not apply to the first mission participation line where it is permissible for training and participation to occur simultaneously. In addition, to receive mission participation credit, a trainee must participate in all aspects of their assignment. This is further defined as:
        (a). Field positions: a single sortie, including planning, briefing, and debriefing.
        (b). All other base staff positions: an entire operational period in the same role.

(3) Added. A trainee may not receive more than one mission participation credit for the same specialty on the same day.
The two participations need not be two different missions, but two different sorties.

CAPR 60-3 doesn't appear to have much to say on it.

Picy3, it would be best to consult with your unit's ES staff for how your wing does it.
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

TheSkyHornet

OP,

Fix your signature. "Cadet Senior Master Sergeant."