Does anybody know where to buy a magnetic ribbon rack?

Started by NCRcadet, January 08, 2021, 09:10:07 AM

NCRcadet

Paul Creed III

Looks like https://www.ultrathin.com/ can do magnetic racks.

I have had several sets of their pin-backed racks and they are VERY well done. I only use UltraThin racks now.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

GroundHawg

Make sure you check and double check your order if you decide to use Ultrathin

I have had issues in the past with order of precedence and outright omissions

PHall

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 08, 2021, 01:26:07 PMMake sure you check and double check your order if you decide to use Ultrathin

I've had no problems with order of precedence with them.
You do need to make sure you're using the CORRECT order of precedence when you're selecting the ribbons and like they ask you to do, check your order before you hit that submit button.
In the end it's up to you make sure it's right before you hit submit.
And if they do make an error they will normally fix it for free.

SarDragon

Keep in mind that magnetic ribbon holders are best used only on shirts. Their holding power on coats are limited, and you have a much greater tendency for them to move or fall off.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

baronet68

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 08, 2021, 01:26:07 PMMake sure you check and double check your order if you decide to use Ultrathin

If you use the McChord Rack Builder to build a senior member rack, and copy/paste the provided results into the Ultrathin form, your odds of getting it right are greatly improved.

Also, if you order your ribbons/medals mounted by Vanguard, they use the McChord tool to determine award precedence and attachment configurations before providing your quote for their service.

Disclaimers - Use at your own risk. Ultrathin copy/paste not available for cadet racks (but you could probably make it work if you were clever about it). Keep arms and legs inside vehicle at all times. No commercial relationship exists between McChord and Ultrathin. Your browser may vary. Remember that Vanguard is Vanguard. Wait one hour after swimming before building ribbon racks.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

GroundHawg

I think that if I were to order a CAP only ribbon rack, that they would probably be good to go. However, when I add in military, civilian, and foreign awards they are in the wrong order or they incorrectly tell me that the ribbon/medal isn't authorized for wear. 

PHall

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 11, 2021, 04:20:53 PMI think that if I were to order a CAP only ribbon rack, that they would probably be good to go. However, when I add in military, civilian, and foreign awards they are in the wrong order or they incorrectly tell me that the ribbon/medal isn't authorized for wear. 

Funny, I've ordered combined CAP and military racks with no problems.
Their program is designed to work with "normal" orders, i.e. 99.99% of the orders they receive.
If you're doing really unusual stuff then you need to contact them directly and explain what's going on.

TheSkyHornet

How long do their orders usually take?

Just ordered mine. I rarely wear ribbons, but mine are scattered everywhere. Might as well get some brand-new ones just in case.

PHall

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 11, 2021, 08:33:33 PMHow long do their orders usually take?

Just ordered mine. I rarely wear ribbons, but mine are scattered everywhere. Might as well get some brand-new ones just in case.

Usually have my orders in a week.

N6RVT

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 11, 2021, 04:20:53 PMI think that if I were to order a CAP only ribbon rack, that they would probably be good to go. However, when I add in military, civilian, and foreign awards they are in the wrong order or they incorrectly tell me that the ribbon/medal isn't authorized for wear.

I have never had an order of precedence issue, but have repeatedly run into the "This is not authorized" problem.  It would be so easy for them to give an option to turn the checker of for those of use who actually know what the regulations say.  You can still work around it though - you just add some other ribbon as a placeholder where the supposedly unauthorized ribbon is supposed to to go and tell them in the notes to change it.  And then to be safe call them on the phone to make sure they fix it.

PHall

Quote from: Dwight Dutton on January 12, 2021, 11:55:22 PM

I have never had an order of precedence issue, but have repeatedly run into the "This is not authorized" problem.  It would be so easy for them to give an option to turn the checker of for those of use who actually know what the regulations say.  You can still work around it though - you just add some other ribbon as a placeholder where the supposedly unauthorized ribbon is supposed to to go and tell them in the notes to change it.  And then to be safe call them on the phone to make sure they fix it.

Telling them what you really want in the Notes block usually clears things up.
And they're pretty good about e-mailing/calling if they have a question.

Capt Thompson

Quote from: NCRcadet on January 08, 2021, 09:10:07 AMWhere can I buy a magnetic ribbon rack? Any ideas?
It appears the OP may be a Cadet based on the name? If I was a Spaatz Cadet, completed the program and there was no chance I would be earning any more ribbons, I might consider going to Ultrathin, but otherwise I wouldn't drop $20+ on a ribbon rack that will only be valid for a month or two until you get your next ribbon. Keep in mind, while Ultrathin can update ribbon racks for a fee, this gets expensive if you're updating often.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

baronet68

Quote from: Capt Thompson on January 15, 2021, 01:43:53 PM
Quote from: NCRcadet on January 08, 2021, 09:10:07 AMWhere can I buy a magnetic ribbon rack? Any ideas?
It appears the OP may be a Cadet based on the name? If I was a Spaatz Cadet, completed the program and there was no chance I would be earning any more ribbons, I might consider going to Ultrathin, but otherwise I wouldn't drop $20+ on a ribbon rack that will only be valid for a month or two until you get your next ribbon. Keep in mind, while Ultrathin can update ribbon racks for a fee, this gets expensive if you're updating often.

That's why the McChord Rack Builder doesn't generate the Ultrathin code for cadet racks. 

However, different people have different priorities.  I know a current CAP cadet whose father is former military (dad also has a daughter currently at West Point).  Dad has no problem dropping the necessary coin to get his cadet a new rack every six months because "appearance is important". 
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

fish7days

1st Lt - CAP
Transportation Mission Pilot - CSEL / Instrument
South African Infantry Instructor 1983 - 1985
South African Infantry Pro Patria Combat Medal Recipient

Shuman 14

The biggest problem I see with the various thin ribbon makers is that they want to put the AFEOA in its military order of precedence, and not CAPs.

If that is your only military award, it's not an issue, their rack builders will load on top of all CAP ribbons, but for those of us who are former/current military, the builders want to put it elsewhere.

You have to call/email them directly and they can manually add it in the correct order.

Also, the rack builders don't seem to have the Crisis Service Award programmed in yet. 
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Larry Mangum

NCRCadet, since cadet's gain new ribbons on a regular basis, it is somewhat cost prohibitive for cadets to purchase and maintain ultrathin / magnet ribbon racks. 
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Pinecone

So, to get this straight, I was a Cadet MANY years ago and earned my Mitchell.  So, as a Senior Member, I can wear that ribbon?

And I cannot wear my military ribbons on the aviator shirt?  Not a big deal, I only have the Air Force Training and Longevity ribbons. :D

Thanks

PHall

Quote from: Pinecone on March 08, 2022, 07:47:43 PMSo, to get this straight, I was a Cadet MANY years ago and earned my Mitchell.  So, as a Senior Member, I can wear that ribbon?

And I cannot wear my military ribbons on the aviator shirt?  Not a big deal, I only have the Air Force Training and Longevity ribbons. :D

Thanks

Yes you can wear your highest Cadet Award/Achievement ribbon as a Senior and yes you can not wear any military ribbons on the aviator shirt. This includes the Air Force Organizational Excellence Award ribbon CAP was awarded several years ago.

Shuman 14

Quote from: fish7days on January 23, 2022, 01:24:57 AMsnaprackusa.com

I think that would be great for cadets who change/add ribbons very frequently, but for Seniors and Military, not so much.

The only advantage I see (maybe) is if you are Military (USAF, USAFR, AFNG) and CAP, and use the same coat for both.

Snap on/Snap off the CAP ribbons as needed while the mount stays in place.

Otherwise you still have the issues of devices being off center of ribbons because you mounted them and then slide ribbon on the bar and the pins behind dragged and moved the devices.

Thin Ribbons, regardless of which company mounted them, still will look better.

Also, with that much space between the shirt/coat and the ribbon bars, that's just asking for them to get caught on something  and pulled off.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present