TLC Refresher

Started by 00, July 13, 2020, 05:32:11 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: NABodie on January 03, 2021, 11:52:31 AMThe PDF's National is putting out aren't as easy to use in a presentation as a Power Point would be. 

I've heard this before, it's actually easier - hit F11 and no one can tell the difference.  Clickers still work.

I found the fact that NHQ doesn't produce PPTs anymore questionable as well, however
not everyone has access to PowerPoint (I know for quite a while NHQ wasn't shipping it on
laptops anymore and getting re-install keys was harder then radio encryption keys)
but everyone can open a PDF.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

I've used Google Slides and PowerPoint for them and I definitely think my products are better and more effective.

- Better organized while still maintaining the basic outline and all required material

- Up to date: TLC is horribly outdated and I like having the current stuff visually represented, not verbally tossed in as an afterthought, especially when teaching remotely

- Animated bullets: in my day job as a high school teacher, I find that if a complete textbox is presented right off the bat, the students are reading ahead or writing everything down, which is the opposite of what I want.  I set the animations where a bullet point comes up with each click, keeping the group in the same place as much as possible and allowing for undivided attention.

- Deeper dives in the material: I add relevant things that support the lesson objectives and give a deeper understanding (most CAP things are far too shallow and pitched at the lowest common denominator for students and instructors, which is understandable but I aim higher).  For example, my Effective Volunteer Teams class includes a couple of book suggestions and some extra concepts pulled out of them.

Feedback has always been positive and I think I do a good job trying to solicit it. 

Eclipse

Quote from: Jester on January 04, 2021, 04:51:33 PM- Up to date: TLC is horribly outdated and I like having the current stuff visually represented, not verbally tossed in as an afterthought, especially when teaching remotely

You're referring to the new version?

Quote from: Jester on January 04, 2021, 04:51:33 PM- Deeper dives in the material: I add relevant things that support the lesson objectives and give a deeper understanding

Who has vetted your "deeper dive"?  That's the issue.

Good, bad, or otherwise, it's supposed to be the same for everyone without "deeper dives".
You can do those in other forums and training sessions.

Not saying anything you're conveying is incorrect, but I've spent a lot of time in
SLS/CLC/TLC/UCC correcting people's "deeper dives".

If you present the material as published, there is no room for wives' tales and rumor.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2021, 05:03:26 PM
Quote from: Jester on January 04, 2021, 04:51:33 PM- Up to date: TLC is horribly outdated and I like having the current stuff visually represented, not verbally tossed in as an afterthought, especially when teaching remotely

You're referring to the new version?

Quote from: Jester on January 04, 2021, 04:51:33 PM- Deeper dives in the material: I add relevant things that support the lesson objectives and give a deeper understanding

Who has vetted your "deeper dive"?  That's the issue.

Good, bad, or otherwise, it's supposed to be the same for everyone without "deeper dives".
You can do those in other forums and training sessions.

Not saying anything you're conveying is incorrect, but I've spent a lot of time in
SLS/CLC/TLC/UCC correcting people's "deeper dives".

If you present the material as published, there is no room for wives' tales and rumor.

The 2016 material that's posted for TLC reflects none of the big changes that have taken place in 2018 regarding cadet advancement, for example.  It still references 52 series pubs.  And when teaching TLC in the age of COVID, I'd be a no-go if I didn't include references to the current waivers that many entry-level CP officers (and some that have been around a while, unfortunately) don't even know about.

As far as extra material, in my experience no CAP lesson plan ever actually fills the time it's supposed to.  We have an institutional predisposition to finish up early.  If I can do something with that white space on top of the required material that meets the objectives and results in better-prepared members, that's within my skillset as an instructor and I'll do it. 

If other instructors don't meet my standard that's fine as long as they meet the CAP standard, but we can't spout "excellence as a core value" by restricting people to the lowest common denominator.  I crush objectives and keep going.