Online safety briefing defunct already?

Started by RiverAux, July 14, 2010, 08:04:36 PM

Thrashed

I search the regions and wings for their safety newsletters.  I really like the NER safety letter, its better than national. There's plenty of material online for safety breifs for all ages.

Save the triangle thingy

Patterson

^ Well the former NER Commander is the National Safety Guru. 

RiverAux

Quote from: caphornbuckle on September 27, 2010, 02:11:13 AM
Has anyone checked the Draft version of CAPR 62-1 yet?  Aside from some administrative stuff, it's practically a whole new rewrite.
No such draft was available in the Publications for Comment section of the NHQ page. 

JC004

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 27, 2010, 12:33:48 PM
If you've got nothing else, the Darwin Awards are always a great source of material...

I've done this.  I like to make my safety briefings entertaining.  It works, I think.  I've had members tell me that it was the first safety briefing they actually remembered, etc.  I've sometimes thrown in great examples of people doing stupid things - making points about cost/benefit.  If you're doing SAR, there's a benefit to the risk.  Heck, if you're doing hang-gliding, there's a benefit to the risk (fun or possible terror - I'm not sure - never done it).  Examples such as from there often provide no benefit.  They're just plain dumb, so they're good.

I also like to include examples of cadets doing stupid things and/or SMs allowing such things.  For instance, I like to tell them not to pile out of a moving van.  Then I let them know that this actually happened - a bunch of cadets doing a Chinese fire drill (only moving).

caphornbuckle

Quote from: RiverAux on September 27, 2010, 06:02:32 PM
Quote from: caphornbuckle on September 27, 2010, 02:11:13 AM
Has anyone checked the Draft version of CAPR 62-1 yet?  Aside from some administrative stuff, it's practically a whole new rewrite.
No such draft was available in the Publications for Comment section of the NHQ page.

They must have taken it off.  It was available for some time.  I don't know what happened to it unless it's going under another revision or is in the approval process.

It does surprise me that there isn't any publications for comment on there anymore.  There was about 4 of them not too long ago.  Might be a glitch as well.  Dunno.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

AirDX

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 27, 2010, 12:33:48 PM
If you've got nothing else, the Darwin Awards are always a great source of material...

I was going to say, if all else fails, read the paper, there's always good meat there.  Another good source is News of the Weird: http://www.newsoftheweird.com/.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

SarDragon

Publicatinos are available for comment for a fixed amount of time (60 days?), then they are taken down.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RADIOMAN015

Actually it looks to me like they've posted some new materials, e.g. Hurricanes, electrical down wires, etc.

What you see on the CAP website (as well as the CAP USAF safety web page) is the expectation for the type of briefings to be conducted.    Don't spend a lot of time on this, it's suppose to be informative but to the point!!!

RM 

EMT-83

Just don't take all the tests at once. They'll all expire the same day and you'll be scrambling for another briefing!