wearing blue dress uniform at funeral of a military veteran

Started by Raja1020, May 22, 2011, 03:32:04 PM

Raja1020

My grand-uncle passed away and today I am going to his funeral. He was in the Marine Corps and everyone in my family would like me to wear my blue's to the service. Not wanting to break CAP regulations I have two questions:

1. Am I allowed to wear the uniform to his funeral?

2. If I am, can I salute as they give the 21 gun salute?

Thanks

Eclipse

You're going to get a lot of meaningless wailing and gnashing of teeth here.

Bottom line, ask your commander and if he has no heartburn and your family wants it, go ahead.  If you're in either the USAF blues or the CSU, you would salute.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Agree with Eclipse -- if your commander okays it you are good to go.  Whether or not your commander should okay it is a different discussion, but not one you need to worry about.  Just ask.

Raja1020

lordmonar

+3

See the Army Drill manual for when and where you are supposed to salute during the funeral ceremony.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sneakers

ditto. It depends on commander's approval and, most importantly in this case, family approval. So far I've been part of two colorguards (that did some honor guard roles) at funerals for CAP members from my squadron. Both were specifically requested by family members.

ColonelJack

I'll agree with all of the above -- your CC is the person to ask.

And my deepest sympathies the loss of your grand-uncle.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Old_CAP

Assuming Honors Squad follows standard protocol:

When the remains, either cremated or casket are removed from the transport vehicle, Military Service Members and Veterans will come to Attention and render a Hand Salute.

Subsequently, a Three Volley Rifle Salute will occur - No salute.

Then, Taps should be played. All Military Service Members and Veterans will come to Attention, and render a Hand Salute.

If necessary, the US Flag will be folded.

When the Burial Flag is presented to the appropriate person, Military Service Members and Veterans will come to Attention and render a Hand Salute.

21-Gun Salute is reserved for Heads of State or equivalent.

Veterans normally get 3 volleys of shoulder-fired weapons - Rifles, by a squad that can consist of 3 to 8 persons.

You can acquire on-line AR 600-25 Salutes, Honors, and Visits of Courtesy.

See page 28, "Firing of 3 volleys at Military Funeral Honors".

See also: http://www.history.army.mil/faq/salute.htm

In the military, a "gun" is a crew-served weapon, such as a howitzer. A rifle is not a "gun".

The Military Salute Project is a good reference on this topic.

See: http://militarysalute.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=protocol&action=display&thread=625

Old_Cap = Fort Snelling Memorial Rifle Squad - Member of Thursday Squad. As of last Thursday, 1,700 Honor Ceremonies performed.

lordmonar

FM 3-21.5
Quote14-4.    PERSONNEL CONDUCT

Personnel involved with military funerals conduct themselves as described herein.

a.   When honorary pallbearers are desired, they are selected by the family of the deceased, or its representative, or by the commanding officer if the family wishes. As a rule, no more than twelve honorary pallbearers should be selected.

b.   At a military funeral, persons in military uniform attending in their individual capacity face the casket and execute the Hand Salute at the following times: when honors, if any, are sounded; at any time the casket is being moved (the exception being when they themselves are moving); during Cannon Salutes, if sounded; during the firing of volleys; and while "Taps" is being played.

(1)  Honorary pallbearers in uniform conform to those instructions when not in motion.

*    (2)  Male military personnel in civilian clothes in the above cases, and during the service at the grave, stand at Attention, uncover, and hold the headdress over the left shoulder with the right hand over the heart. If no headdress is worn, the right hand is held over the heart.

(3)  Female military personnel in civilian clothes hold the right hand over the heart.

c.   During the religious graveside service, all personnel bow their heads at the words "Let us pray." All mourners at graveside, except the active pallbearers, follow the example of the officiating chaplain. If he uncovers, they uncover; if he remains covered, they remain covered. When the officiating chaplain wears a biretta (clerical headpiece) during the graveside service, all personnel, as indicated above, uncover. When the officiating chaplain wears a yarmulke (Jewish skull cap), all personnel remain covered.

MIKE

Pat, where did you get that?  I need a functional FM 3-21.5 link for the D&C Resources sticky.
Mike Johnston

lordmonar

MIKE

Thanks, Firefox did not like the DoD certificates from the Army sites I was trying.
Mike Johnston