TIGERSTRIKE DF Unit

Started by Flying Pig, February 24, 2009, 08:52:55 PM

Flying Pig

My Squadron has just purchased a TIGERSTRIKE DF Unit.  It is made by a couple of CAWG CAP members.  We should have deliver of it soon. Ill let you know how it works.  From the info I have read and the people I have talked to, it takes a lot of the work out of DF'ing the the Lper requires. 

I dont work for the company, I am a customer.  So this isnt a sales ad.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

_

Maybe this? Firestorm Emergency Services Ltd

I'm interested in seeing if it works as well as they advertise.  I didn't see anything about the price. 

davidsinn

It really bugs me when a company has a website set up to sell something and they don't even list the price. So what's this thing cost?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

isuhawkeye

they are very, very new.  Give them a little time.

there are lots of us who are very excited about this product

davidsinn

Quote from: isuhawkeye on February 25, 2009, 01:24:29 AM
they are very, very new.  Give them a little time.

there are lots of us who are very excited about this product

They aren't the only ones. I was researching the "cheese block DF company's" practice beacon and they don't list a price either.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

es_g0d

Please post a price, when available.

I would sincerely appreciate a scanned copy of their manual, as well.  You can tell a lot about a company by the quality of the literature they provide.

By cheese-block-company, isuhawkeye, do you mean Pointer?  I think their price is still $156.00 postpaid.  Give them a call and they're really great to work with.  Believe it or not, there ARE still family-run electronics companies out there.

I've been well-impressed with the "new" Little L-Pers, and generally they can't be beat for the money.  They're not as sensitive as the LH-16 (older) model, but they work pretty darn well and are pretty rugged.
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

isuhawkeye

I'm not the one who referenced the "cheese-block company".  I don't have any personal experience with the new L-Per. 

es_g0d

Hopefully someone will bring a Tigerstrike to NESA this year and we can do a pseudo-scientific side-by-side test.

Sorry, ISU!  :D
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

isuhawkeye

No biggy. 

I would love to see a side by side comparison of the products. 

JoeTomasone

Base unit is $2000.00.   Each set of antennas (for different frequencies) costs an additional $300.00.

Looks nifty, but seems a trifle overloaded with features; it can use an on-board cellular radio to allow another party to see the signal strength and bearing you're pointed at -- why?!

I'm sticking with my $350.00 soup-to-nuts Sniffer setup.

isuhawkeye

think outside the CAP box.  Some features may not be appropriate for your use, but may be indispensable to others. 

JoeTomasone

Quote from: isuhawkeye on February 25, 2009, 03:35:08 AM
think outside the CAP box.  Some features may not be appropriate for your use, but may be indispensable to others. 

Undoubtedly, but on this forum I tend to think inside the CAP box.   Can't see why a UDF team would need it.

es_g0d

Hmm, dollars-to-capabilities, the Tigerstrike is going to have be an outstanding performer to win against the Little L-Per.  It DOES sound like it is a capable little unit, though.

The new Little L-Per has solid performance, 30+ years of the company in business with experience in ELTs, and a $750 price tag where I can almost get THREE DFs for the price of one Tigerstrike.

Did anyone try the Seimac ProFind DF?  $1500 for a unit that wasn't very capable, sensitive, or accurate.  I'd hate to see that mistake repeated, but I'm very curious to see the results of the Tigerstrike tests!
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net

JoeTomasone

Another thing I noticed -- the Tigerstrike appears to be fixed in horizontal polarization - which might not be the best idea with mostly vertical ELT antennas.

MikeD

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 25, 2009, 03:36:37 AM

Undoubtedly, but on this forum I tend to think inside the CAP box.   Can't see why a UDF team would need it.

How about 2 or 3 UDF/GTs deployed cause we don't have a SARSAT hit?  Then some triangulation over a cell network could be pretty sweet!

JoeTomasone

Quote from: MikeD on February 25, 2009, 05:54:32 AM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 25, 2009, 03:36:37 AM

How about 2 or 3 UDF/GTs deployed cause we don't have a SARSAT hit?  Then some triangulation over a cell network could be pretty sweet!

Hey, if you have $7000 to spare...    When we don't have a SARSAT hit (aka only airborne reports), we are generally launching an aircraft anyway..

davidsinn

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 25, 2009, 03:33:44 AM
Base unit is $2000.00.   Each set of antennas (for different frequencies) costs an additional $300.00.

Looks nifty, but seems a trifle overloaded with features; it can use an on-board cellular radio to allow another party to see the signal strength and bearing you're pointed at -- why?!

I'm sticking with my $350.00 soup-to-nuts Sniffer setup.

That's obscene. It was like pulling teeth to get a 30 year old LPer out of my wing. Looks like I'll never see one of those. The cheese block company I was referring to was Seimac I'm not interested in the DF because it's junk but the practice beacon looked handy because it's small.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Al Sayre

My Squadron has both an LH-16 and a Seimac "Cheese Block".  Not to bash Seimac, but I'll take the LH-16 over the Cheese Blockany day... The Seimac training beacon works great though.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

a2capt

The "Tiger Strike" people are not very, very, very new ..

They have been at this for several years now. Lots of promises, no results.

I'm glad we actually never put forth any loot 3+ years back. I  hope you actually get something if you put money out. All we heard were excuses.

I'd rather have 2.5 cheese blocks or even 4-5 Little L'Per's from eBay for that $2K.

You can outfit a lot more people for that $2000 .. 

Fact is, you can find ELT's with Little L'Per's too.