Online NIMS 700 & 800

Started by 0, May 05, 2008, 04:42:48 PM

I'm looking at starting to completing my NIMS courses and figured I'd start out here as I've got 100 and 200 done.  My question here is for the 700 and 800 it says 3 hours and looks like it's all online no real text materials like the 200.  Do I have to sit the whole 3 hours at once or can I do it in sections based on my work schedule? 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Short Field

For 700 & 800, taking the final exam is a separate step/process than taking the course.  So you can do them in separate small segments, then when you feel ready, take the test.

For ICS 700, you print the test out, complete it, then go to a web-page and enter the answers on an answer sheet.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

scooter

Print the test first. Then do the course and find the answers as you go along. Then go take the exam for real. :)

Neo001

The best way is pick option 1 once you are on the course page and click on Lesson 6: Additional Resources and Summary (for IS800.B)  step3   click the next button eight times and click on "Click on this link for a printable summary of the IS-800 National Response Framework, An Introduction course." (it has a printer on the left of the aforementioned statement) :o   Final step you can either cut and paste to a word document or print it all.  Just yell timber first.  ;D  It is over 60 pages but it has all the answers!   800.B is the best yet... I have taken all three (800, 800.A and 800.B)  NIMS compliance fun--Wing Dir HLS

smj58501

I have taken them all. If you can get ahold of a study guide for each course, it will help you with your test taking experience immensely. Rather than printing it out, try out your find command first for keywords. It is far better than killing a tree
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

I've passed the ICS 700!  Now I just have 800 left for the online courses.

Just 3 more to go and I can keep my MSO.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

arajca

FEMA recently added IS-809 - ESF #9 - Search and Rescue.

CAP is mentioned a few times and gets about equal footing as most of the other orgs, and these is a question on the test about CAP! (10 questions total on test.)

Quote from: arajca on May 31, 2008, 02:20:13 PM
FEMA recently added IS-809 - ESF #9 - Search and Rescue.

CAP is mentioned a few times and gets about equal footing as most of the other orgs, and these is a question on the test about CAP! (10 questions total on test.)

Would you say it's something worth knowing?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

isuhawkeye

If you want to be able to talk intelligently about SAR to outside agencies, especially state folks you better know ow what ESF's are, and you had better have a handle on who is responsible for what within that system. 

So then maybe we should pass something up the chain making IS-809 a required piece of our ES Program.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

cnitas

Required for who?  GTM3 or GBD or MP or IC etc. ?

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Make everyone take it like we have to take IS 100 (CAPT116 part 2) & IS 700. 

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Short Field

Just reviewed IC-809.  It is useful and informative.  The primary target for the course is anyone who would be requesting SAR support.  It briefly states who is responsible for the different types of SAR support - DOD, FEMA, USCG, DOI, etc.   

Would I tell someone not to take the course?  No.  Would I make someone take the course?  No.
Wilson #2640

cnitas

Quote from: Short Field on June 02, 2008, 05:06:41 PM
Just reviewed IC-809.  It is useful and informative
That would depend on the audience?  Is it useful to my 14 yr old C/SSgt GTM-3? Or is it trivial?

The primary target for the course is anyone who would be requesting SAR support. 
This would seem to indicate it is trivial to all except higher level ES ratings...perhaps ICs would find it useful.

Would I tell someone not to take the course?  No.  Would I make someone take the course?  No.

I have not yet reviewed the material, but based on your report, I would agree.  We already have too much trivial information required for ES to tack on more.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

I took it and I think that it's something worth while for anyone in ES to know.  I mean if we want to be able to work with other groups it's something good for everyone to know.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

Short Field

I found it a decent course - that is it covered some material fairly well and didn't make my brain hurt in the process.  I actually deleted a line where I said it would be good for IC/ALs because most IC/ALs should have a good feel for the missions we can do anyway.   

When interfacing with other agencies, we represent CAP and what we bring to the table.   We are not trained to the level (or have the responsibility) of being able to advise a customer on what other assets they need to request.  We can only tell them what we can and can't do.   

;)  Lets not talk about making a suggestion "off the record" with a "IMHO" comment.
Wilson #2640

smitjud

Just reviewed IC-809.  It is useful and informative.  The primary target for the course is anyone who would be requesting SAR support.  It briefly states who is responsible for the different types of SAR support - DOD, FEMA, USCG, DOI, etc.   

I just took it this morning.  Nice overview of SAR assets and responsibilities. 

Only real negative to it is that unlike most FEMA IS courses though, it is worth 0 (zero) CEU's making it useless toward any type of professional certification such as our program here in Alabama (http://www.aaem.us/certif.htm) or the internationally recognized CEM program (http://www.iaem.com/certification/generalinfo/intro.htm).

Still nice to see CAP getting some props.
JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jolt

I took IS-100 last week, I finished IS-700 yesterday, and I've had IS-200.HC open on my computer for the past day.

Since I'm taking all of these darn classes anyway, are there any courses that I'll need to take eventually for CAP?  I've been a GTM-3 for a few years now, and an FLM for a little longer.

Short Field

200 & 800 should finish you up.  300 & 400 are required for certain staff positions but they are not offered on line.
Wilson #2640

arajca

Quote from: Short Field on June 03, 2008, 10:09:36 PM
200 & 800 should finish you up.  300 & 400 are required for certain staff positions but they are not offered on line.

Unofficial intel from EMI is that IS200 (and derivitives) may be going away as well. Expereince from the field from ICS 300 instructors is that those who take IS200 do not retain the knowledge. The IS200 students fail the pretest in ICS 300 about 99% of the time (and not usually by one or two questions), so the instructor has to waste an entire morning (or more) to bring them up to where they should be. It seems that without the practical application portion of ICS 200, the information doesn't take. Also, and this came from someone in the FEMA IS curriculum area, people were selling the answers to this open book test on Ebay!