you know your a SAR junkie when...

Started by SAR junkie, August 05, 2005, 11:01:57 PM

SAR junkie

Im not sure if this is the right place to put this, but i figured it would be because it is more ground team "user friendly"  ???

http://www.dbs-sar.com/SARJunkie.htm <~~ you know your a SAR junkie when...

http://www.sarjunkie.com/content/products.asp?catid=87 <~~ the original website

some that i added to it  ;D

1. your favorite shirt says:
Civil Air Patrol
Search and Rescue

Support Search and Rescue
GET LOST!

and is safety orange :)

2. when u go on a military base to shut off an ELT and the army guys envy your SAR gear

3. you BDU's are your first choice for clothing in the morning.

4. you miss a test in school because you were on a mission.

5.you have a search and rescue sticker on your car that is above, and bigger, than you school's soccer sticker.

6. your parent has ever said to someone:
my girl scout (who happens to do search and rescue) can find your boy scout in the woods.

7. you had to leave the soccer game for the championship because you got called out on a mission.

see if you can add any to it..

come on..it'll be great fun :)
C/MSgt Caliguiri
C/CC
Centenary Composite Squadron ~KY058~

search and rescue all the way!

whatevah

Quote from: SAR junkie on August 05, 2005, 11:01:57 PM
2. when u go on a military base to shut off an ELT and the army guys envy your SAR gear
and you know this, how?  they walked up and said "dude, your gear is better than ours"?  Most people carry gear they don't need, which is just dead weight.  The military survival gear (not SAR) rarely has anything you don't need.

unless it was a confirmed distress mission, that's just plain stupid.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

ranger john

"4. you miss a test in school because you were on a mission."
that happen to me
"2. when u go on a military base to shut off an ELT and the army guys envy your SAR gear"
i was there
"7. you had to leave the soccer game for the championship because you got called out on a mission."
i did that
8.when you think that a sarex is a great vacation
9.your on sar/cap stuff more then your at home
Centenary Composite Squadron KY058
*rangers all the way*

SAR junkie

Quote from: whatevah on August 08, 2005, 09:36:17 PM
and you know this, how? they walked up and said "dude, your gear is better than ours"? Most people carry gear they don't need, which is just dead weight. The military survival gear (not SAR) rarely has anything you don't need.

unless it was a confirmed distress mission, that's just plain stupid.

as far as the army thing goes...it was a mission @ 300am and we were going to turn off an ELT in a black hawk. we had to wait for the first sgt. to get there to unlock the bird. and one of the guards and i were talking. he told me that my gear was cool...and that he thinks search and rescue is cool. now him tellin me that my gear is cool comes to me as envy..if even a lil bit. we talked for a good hour so he said more stuff about it..and be4 it was over i was taking apart my gear so he could see it. good fun

and the test thing....
it has happend to some of my cadets..i didnt miss a test, i just missed school. and it (ELT) turned out to be in a pile of fiberglass on a base that had apache parts from iraq. but it has happend. like ranger john said it happend to him. that is what i was reffering to. good times as well

Quote from: ranger john on August 08, 2005, 10:52:17 PM
"4. you miss a test in school because you were on a mission."
that happen to me
"2. when u go on a military base to shut off an ELT and the army guys envy your SAR gear"
i was there
"7. you had to leave the soccer game for the championship because you got called out on a mission."
i did that
8.when you think that a sarex is a great vacation
9.your on sar/cap stuff more then your at home

i LOVE sarex's and to me they are the best vacations i have ever had! work and play in the same weekend. GOOD TIMES, KEEP 'EM ROLLING!

i have a home? i thought that the squadron van was my home..as well as the whole ground team's LOL!
wouldnt have it any other way either!

10. your favorite color is blaze orange....and you have the duct tape and blanket that you took to encampment to prove it!

11. you went to school one morning and had both your SAR gear and school bag in the car...you walk in with your SAR gear on...and dont notice it until a teacher says "is that legal (joking)" {im so used to my gear i dont notice it}

12. when you are bored you take apart your gear completely and refit it...just for the hell of it  ;D {severly guilty} good fun

keep 'em coming guys...
C/MSgt Caliguiri
C/CC

jimmydean

13. When your unit finds an ELT before the airforce notifies you.

Our unit commander often checks 121.5 on his radio, once during a unit meeting at our hanger he checked it and heard a distress beacon. We found it two hangers away and had to tell the air force that a beacon was going off.

SAR junkie

C/MSgt Caliguiri
C/CC

whatevah

done that quite a few times...  one was a couple hours after we shut off the ELT on a medevac chopper, one of our traffic planes picked up the signal, so we checked the medevac again, then drove 2 miles to the airport and found a nice little jet sitting in a hangar.  one of the mechanics set it off while working on something near it.

we shut it off and told our primary IC about it, incase the AFRCC gave him a call.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Matt

14. When you alerting officer simply says, "Wanna go play" at 2200
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Matt

15.) When your office/locker/etc gives a contest to most military surplus stores for field gear
16.) When your boss and you get called to the same mission and you're in different squadrons
17.) When you reply to this post and you're at work with your boss watching.

Matt

18.) When you can tell the RCC what happened, why it happened, and how it happened before they know about the beacon, or ask what happened.

19.) When you call the news desk from home to aide aircrews because news copters are flying in the search grid

Matt

Side Note for the Mil. Chopper thing:  About 10 years ago (way before I joined) our unit had a mission with 10 ELTs going off in one place.... It was at Ft. McCoy.  The Army had bought civilian ELTs and the mechanics didn't know what they were so they mounted them to the doors of the choppers....  Then, they closed the doors....

This went on for about a month before anyone caught on.....

SAR junkie

C/MSgt Caliguiri
C/CC

Matt

20.) You can tell there is a mission before you're called....  (Rolled over for sleep at 0230 and thought to myself, there's going to be a mission at 0231 I got a call..."Get your gear...")

SAR junkie

see everyone talks about the infamous 300am missions. now i have been active on a mission @ 300 but i had gotten called out @ 1200am. i also thought to myself "there is going to be a mission" turned out to be an ELT on a blackhawk, it just kept us out and about until 600am.

good times
C/MSgt Caliguiri
C/CC

JaL5597

Quote from: SAR junkie on August 12, 2005, 10:15:00 AM
see everyone talks about the infamous 300am missions. now i have been active on a mission @ 300 but i had gotten called out @ 1200am. i also thought to myself "there is going to be a mission" turned out to be an ELT on a blackhawk, it just kept us out and about until 600am.

good times

Eh thats not bad.  Got called at 2 am.  Took us 45 minutes to get there.  Five minutes to establish its location.  "That hanger."  Three hours for the airport manager to arrive.  Twenty minutes to evacuate him after he fell on the ice and broke his ankle.  Another hour before anyone could let us into the hanger. 

Fun stuff in the middle of December. 

:)  And it was like a block from the hq of another CAP unit. 

Matt

yeah, that 0230 mission was the first of three in one month... that one, 2 wks later a crash, then EAA, which had a crash while we were up there... been busy this month...

Anyways, on the 0230, the Coast Guard had it first because it was in Lake Michigan, 2nd SARSAT was inland, they tracked it and put us in some no so good neighborhoods at about 3AM.... that was scary... We drove out, had nothing, was actually about 2 hangar bays (1/4 mi) from our hangar.   Tracked it, had a hella strong signal, took a good hour and a half for the AP manager to get the combo.... IT WAS THE WRONG HANGAR!  It was the hangar that piggy backed it.  Was coming through a 18"x30" square from a roof bounce.  Was in the butt of an experimental that was being fixed.  :-\

Oh, and the 3rd SARSAT hit put it at the corner of the airport....  >:(

JaL5597

Personally I still love one of the stories from out here.  Squadron commander gets a call and goes out in a horrible storm.  He is looking at the airport with his wife who is also a CAP member.  They find the ELT going off in his plane. 

Not sure what that qualifies him as.

Matt

SAR junkie

::) good ones

i hate to say it but i want more action where i am. im sure as fellow GTMs you understand the feeling.

19. you are at school and during computer applications class you are posting on CAPTALK  :P
C/MSgt Caliguiri
C/CC

Pylon

Quote from: SAR junkie
i hate to say it but i want more action where i am.

Don't we all....   ::)

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP