Winter 2013-14 Pretty Much Done with it, Thank you!

Started by Eclipse, January 27, 2014, 10:06:45 PM

Eclipse

-20 actual low tonight, -5 was the high, blowing snow means cleaning the sidewalks is a futile exercise.

At least one major SAREx in my wing cancelled, planes stuck to the ground, O-Rides not happening,
some unit meetings cancelled since the holidays.

Not to mention the kids home again tomorrow, for 4th weather day this season.

That's enough thank you!

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Ed Bos

It's in the 40's in Anchorage. Madness I tell you!
;)
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Ned

Tell me about it. 

Because of our unusual weather, I actually had to turn the lawn sprinklers back on over the weekend.

Crazy year, all right.

Garibaldi

We just had our winter FTX this last weekend, and it was about 15 to 20 during the day. Night was about 7 to 10. Sunday when we left temps soared into the low to mid 40s. Felt like summer almost. And wouldn't you know it, we were completely done by 1030. No time to enjoy the nice weather with no wind.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

C/Awesomenesss

It's 5° outside right now in omaha, nebraska. The low is 1° and the high tomorrow is 20°. Yayy 20°.

Panache

It is exactly 0 degrees Fahrenheit according to the thermometer outside of my door, and with a wind chill of -15.

Yeah, okay, this is getting old.

The cars are completely filthy because you can't use the car wash without driving out a block of ice.  We've had to cancel cadet activities because of the extreme cold. 

In a lighter note, my mother just recently moved down to Alabama from Pennsylvania.  She is greatly amused over the blind panic from her neighbors over the concept that they may get up to 3 inches(!!!) of snow.  One of her friends called with a dire warning that she needs to go out and stock up on basic supplies and gas "before the snow comes".

a2capt

It was 78F today .. with a wind chill of .. 78F. A pleasant 58F outside right now.

bosshawk

Tony: you live in the CA tropics.  Up here in the Central CA foothills, it was about 68 today and is around 40 tonight.  Of course, we haven't had any precip for about 50 days and everyone is waiting for the wildfires.

I was born in SD and you don't have enough gold at Ft Knox to get me back there.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

a2capt

LOL.. Tropics .. with cactus, tumbleweeds, palm trees and the sounds of surf, once traffic on I-5 quiets down. ;)

Walkman

Quote from: Ed Bos on January 27, 2014, 11:00:17 PM
It's in the 40's in Anchorage. Madness I tell you!
;)

It must be a sign of the Apocalypse when its colder in Mincihgan than Anchorage.

Except for a few years I moved away, I've lived in Michigan for the past 28 years, and I don't remember the winter ever having this much snow and being this cold. I'm in the SW corner, so I'm sure its even worse as you go north. My normal 30 minute commute home last night took 1:20.

a2capt

Майор Хаткевич

Having bought a motorcycle last week...I want this weather over as soon as possible.

a2capt

pascocap2002

It should snow in Florida within the next few days. This is going to be interesting.

unmlobo

Try forecasting for this crap!  Just forecasted FZRA, Ice Pellets, and SNOW for S Georgia!  As a forecaster this weather is nuts even to us!
Major, CAP
HI WG

arajca

YOU may be done with winter, but WINTER is nowhere near done with you!  >:D

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

EMT-83

Quote from: Panache on January 28, 2014, 05:06:46 AM
In a lighter note, my mother just recently moved down to Alabama from Pennsylvania.  She is greatly amused over the blind panic from her neighbors over the concept that they may get up to 3 inches(!!!) of snow.  One of her friends called with a dire warning that she needs to go out and stock up on basic supplies and gas "before the snow comes".

The stores around here sell out of bread, milk and eggs. Apparently, folks need French Toast to survive a storm.

a2capt

Luis R. Ramos

Same here.

But it is milk for coffee and/or tea, and bread for sandwiches and/or toast.

Two eggs and coffee does not fill the stomach as much as two eggs, coffee, and toast.

:P

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

C/Awesomenesss

Quote from: flyer333555 on January 28, 2014, 11:14:06 PM
Same here.

Two eggs and coffee does not fill the stomach as much as two eggs, coffee, and toast.

Flyer

True that!!!

ol'fido

Quote from: unmlobo on January 28, 2014, 08:26:06 PM
Try forecasting for this crap!  Just forecasted FZRA, Ice Pellets, and SNOW for S Georgia!  As a forecaster this weather is nuts even to us!
That's why you're called a "forecaster" rather than an "outcomer".

We have become spoiled. We are irritated that winter is acting like....well, winter.

Remember, it's only 52 days till spring.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2014, 10:06:45 PM
-20 actual low tonight, -5 was the high, blowing snow means cleaning the sidewalks is a futile exercise.

At least one major SAREx in my wing cancelled, planes stuck to the ground, O-Rides not happening,

That's enough thank you!

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2014, 10:06:45 PM

That's enough thank you!

Light weight. Down here we got 4 inches in an hour last week..I have the privilege of cleaning up after the snow. Had a 50 hour day right after the new year. That's not a typo.  I said 50 hours. I'm on my first day off in over 2 weeks.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Luis R. Ramos

Usually I never clean the car until it stops snowing, just as I am about to leave for work. After the snow that fell Saturday, I decide to make sure there was water in my radiator, and cleaned the car of snow. Then comes Sunday. It also snowed. I am going "Should not have cleaned the d___ snow!" but luckily it did not stick...

Another thing, last week we had a sudden storm which brought lots of snow on Tuesday. I did not know it was going to snow, never looked at the news, and the blizzard caught me unaware as I had left my winter gloves home, and me with the vehicle covered in snow at work. About 10 to 15 miles away. It was so cold that I got frostbitten hands. Luckily I always carry my 24-hour pack in the trunk. So I go "those work gloves in the 24-hour will have to suffice." A little colder than my regular gloves but they worked... Then the drive home, that normally takes me about 45 minutes took two hours!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Walkman

pascocap2002

Quote from: Walkman on January 29, 2014, 03:39:18 AM
According to this:
http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2014/01/michigan_is_in_the_bulls-eye_f.html

QuoteMile for mile, Michigan has more snow cover than any other U.S. state

Send some snow to South Florida. Its only going to get to 42 today. North Florida may have snow but us in the south are stuck without it.

a2capt

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: flyer333555 on January 28, 2014, 11:14:06 PM
Same here.

Flyer

So very true!

Seeing some of the post about what goes first from the stores, here's my little story.  Moved to the Old Dominion after 3.5 years living in Canada.  First serious winter storm approaches...we visit the grocery store having gotten very used to this 'Up North'; the following shelves were nearly empty; bread, beer and wine! :P

Майор Хаткевич

BFreemanMA

Wait...let's backtrack a bit. Is Leninade a real thing? If so, I'm a bit upset at myself for never having heard of it before.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

a2capt

Walkman

Quote from: pascocap2002 on January 29, 2014, 06:13:13 AM
Send some snow to South Florida. Its only going to get to 42 today. North Florida may have snow but us in the south are stuck without it.

I was actually pondering sending it to CAWG. With their drought, ya' know...

Eclipse

Don't send it to GAWG - 3 inches of snow and the whole state shuts down.

"That Others May Zoom"

pascocap2002

Quote from: Walkman on January 29, 2014, 11:17:28 PM
Quote from: pascocap2002 on January 29, 2014, 06:13:13 AM

I was actually pondering sending it to CAWG. With their drought, ya' know...

Thats great thinking! Just be careful when transporting it because it might melt if border patrol stops you to do a vehicle check and to ask if your an American Citizen or not. Even if you 30 miles inland from the border, border patrol may due a "Random check".

I cannot complain because here in south Florida, its a tad bit chilly.

EMT-83

Quote from: Eclipse on January 29, 2014, 11:19:04 PM
Don't send it to GAWG - 3 inches of snow and the whole state shuts down.

I was checking out news sites and a couple of Facebook groups covering the storm. Folks stuck in snow with grass poking though it. More commonly known as flurries.

It was pretty cool to see how everyone banded together and provided food and shelter where needed.

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: Panache on January 28, 2014, 05:06:46 AM
It is exactly 0 degrees Fahrenheit according to the thermometer outside of my door, and with a wind chill of -15.

Yeah, okay, this is getting old.

The cars are completely filthy because you can't use the car wash without driving out a block of ice.  We've had to cancel cadet activities because of the extreme cold. 

South of the Smith & Wesson Line any snow greater than 1/2 inch is Mother Nature's way of culling Bubba's litter. 
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Garibaldi

3 inches of snow shut the entire infrastructure of Atlanta down. I was amazed. I was also amazed at the common man, helping his fellows out during all this. I knew this was going to happen the second I saw the first flake.

Jaison009

In all fairness I think it is the ice below the snow causing the shutdown and issues. I live in AR and we get a little more snow than GA or TX so I know what you mean but still...

Quote from: Garibaldi on January 30, 2014, 03:07:49 AM
3 inches of snow shut the entire infrastructure of Atlanta down. I was amazed. I was also amazed at the common man, helping his fellows out during all this. I knew this was going to happen the second I saw the first flake.

♠SARKID♠

Luis R. Ramos

Ohhhh, what's wrong with that? A few miles left or right...

:D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

PHall

Quote from: flyer333555 on January 30, 2014, 11:36:01 AM
Ohhhh, what's wrong with that? A few miles left or right...

:D

Flyer

In that case you live in New Jersey!  It's only a few miles. >:D

bosshawk

In my CAP career, I occasionally ran into an aircrew who would have made that mistake.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

a2capt

I don't know, I see both WI and MI mentioned in those graphics. I was actually looking for others to put more in there.

Garibaldi

Eclipse

!@#$%!  Enough already.

4-6+ inches today, then close to 50° on Thursday.

I have to go out and shovel and throw this water that will be gone in a few days.

!@#$%!

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

I'm enjoying this. So we got a few feet of snow. Makes for great hot cocoa and snuggling weather...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on February 17, 2014, 09:50:58 PM
!@#$%!  Enough already.

I have to go out and shovel and throw this water that will be gone in a few days.

!@#$%!

I got somewhere in that neighborhood, plus ice, rain/sleet, wind, thunder, and lightning.

Yeah, I'm about done. If I can't get the bike ready for spring soon I'm going to lose my mind (wish I had a garage I would do it this week while it's warmish).

♠SARKID♠

Walkman

Quote from: Eclipse on February 17, 2014, 09:50:58 PM
!@#$%!  Enough already.

!@#$%!

My driveway is about 75 yards long, and I don't own a snow-blower or plow. I'm totes done with winter!

a2capt

..and I saw someone mentioning a forecast of more coming.

Which means it will be like 80 in Southern California ;)

ol'fido

Sometimes it's good to be from the 51st state, Southern Illinois. 50s and 60s the rest of the week.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

EMT-83

Spent a couple of hours yesterday pushing snow back to make room for more tomorrow, and chopping down the piles at the end of the driveway so we can see to get out.

We went to an RV show Saturday and got all fired up about camping season starting in a couple of months. Then reality set back in.

Luis R. Ramos

The other night my car started to accelerate and decelerate without any reason, then after awhile the "check engine" light came on. So I decide to park it on my mechanic's street. When I arrived I was just a tad faster than I wanted to be so I ended up atop a mound of ice on the street, at a 45 degree angle. So I could not back it nor go forward since rocking it did not help. So I thought and what I finally did was take the club lock in two, put the two halves in front of the tires. Did not work. Moved them to behind them. That did the trick. Of course I could have used cat litter and other things, but I did not have them handy.

When the mechanic finished with it I parked the car on Thursday by my house where it has been under a little blanket of snow, with more snow that fell around it. And used public transportation.

So yes, I am fed up with the snow.

This weekend NY Wing is holding a Ground Team training exercise, with all that snow. And I will hold another one, just one day, next Sunday. And I understand there will be another snowfall...

???

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

1 Million years ago, I believe it was a Wednesday, I owned a 78 Tornado and only wanted it for the engine.

Front wheel drive, heavy in the front, and all you care about is being able to drag it home for parts.

Not a "safe" combination.

I wound up running it aground on a big slanted pile of snow - all 4 wheels off the ground, hard on the frame.

We were debating leaving it there until Spring when these two orderlies from the old folks home we were in front
came running out thinking it was an "accident", then picked up rail road ties from the landscaping and
used them as levers to push us off the snow (Big. Dudes).

Good times.

"That Others May Zoom"

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: flyer333555 on February 18, 2014, 02:42:23 AM
This weekend NY Wing is holding a Ground Team training exercise, with all that snow.

Us too. Over 100 people signed up for it. Gonna be a winter madhouse.

SarDragon

Our group is having an exercise this weekend, too. The temperatures are expected to be in the high 70s to low 80s.  ;D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: SarDragon on February 18, 2014, 08:09:24 AM
Our group is having an exercise this weekend, too. The temperatures are expected to be in the high 70s to low 80s.  ;D

Came here for Dave's comment. Was not disappointed.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Quote from: NIN on February 18, 2014, 11:41:57 AM

Just because he's smart about where to live? >:D

Walkman

This happened just a few miles from me last night. It's the exit I used to take on my work commute. About 30 vehicles total involved.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/02/only_minor_injuries_suffered_i.html#incart_river_default

THRAWN

Zounds...that's a pile up....we got another 4 inches or so in the Philly area last night. Guess no one was practicing over the past few months, because on my 28.2 mile commute I saw 7 accidents. Was on the phone with 9/11 more than my wife today....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PHall

Spaceman3750

The only door in and out of my 2nd story apartment was frozen shut this morning. Fun times, at least it's 40 today

Eclipse

45° today with bright sun, everything turned to much by like 0900.

Every time I see that pic from MI above, I think it's cars stuck at sea in whitecaps.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on February 18, 2014, 11:41:57 AM

Among other winters in snow country, I spent four winters in Maine. During my final one, I was on the snow removal crew on NAS Brunswick. While everyone else was home asleep in their cozy beds, we were out playing in the snow at zero dark thirty making the roads, parking lots, and runways safe and usable for folks the next day.

I paid my dues, thank you very much.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: PHall on February 18, 2014, 09:04:24 PM
Yeah, how about that "Global Warming"? >:D

Right on track, doing what scientists said it would?

Luis R. Ramos

Scientists said that global warming would bring extremes in weather... Isn't that what we are seeing now?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

NIN

Quote from: flyer333555 on February 18, 2014, 11:48:19 PM
Scientists said that global warming would bring extremes in weather... Isn't that what we are seeing now?

All I know is that I pulled into my parking lot just now and there wasn't a single plowed spot.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Ground frozen, snow not.

Now we have flooding advisories popping up with "Thunderstorms and heavy rains" on the way tomorrow following
by below-freezing temps right after.

Goodbye snow, hello ice.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

NIN

It snowed yesterday out here. In my town alone we got at least 12 inches from a storm that was only supposed to bring 5 to 7. My car looked like it had been frosted.

Today we were supposed to get flurries. In the afternoon. I went to a customer site this morning, only to watch it snow about an inch and a half an hour for several hours. So much for flurries. That was at least 5 inches of snow.

It's getting to the point where they're not sure where to put it. Snow banks on the sides of the roads or at least at eye level to most cars. The sight lines at intersections are getting interesting
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on February 19, 2014, 10:05:16 PMThe sight lines at intersections are getting interesting

I noticed that yesterday as well, some dangerous blind corners that are usually wide open.

I was just outside pouring boiling water on a particularly trouble some downspout to get it open
before the deluge tomorrow.   My sump outlet also appears to be frozen mid-way somewhere, that should be fun
tomorrow.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 20, 2014, 02:06:07 PM
Now the streets are paved with Slurpee!

Uh oh.

We're supposed to get snow later tonight, turning to snow &  freezing rain overnight (about an inch of accumulation), then ice pellets tomorrow (an inch of that).

I'm going snowshoeing on Saturday. We'll see how crusty and nasty it is.

Yesterday was supposed to be "flurries" in the afternoon that turned out to be "5 inches of snow starting at 8:30 am" and I was at a customer that is 2 hrs from my office.  My trip home was > 2.5. Ugh.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Walkman

I tried to drive my car vs the truck yesterday to pick up the kids, as it got very warm and I thought the driveway would have melted a bit more. Nope, it had turned to slush. I got stuck and had to push the car out with my truck. The driveway was a big, slushy nasty mess and now it's alternating between freezing and raining.

Eclipse

So - never got above 40° during daylight hours yesterday, then the temps rose almost 10° degrees in less then 2 hours.
By 830pm is was 48°.

This morning it's 24° with 40Mph winds and blowing snow.  Sub-zero overnights predicted for later in the week again.

LOUSY SMARCH WEATHER!

Note: Lack of witty Homer Simpson photo regarding Smarch weather (not) brought to you by the NO LONGER FREE Imageshack.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on February 21, 2014, 01:57:38 PM
So - never got above 40° during daylight hours yesterday, then the temps rose almost 10° degrees in less then 2 hours.
By 830pm is was 48°.

This morning it's 24° with 40Mph winds and blowing snow.  Sub-zero overnights predicted for later in the week again.

LOUSY SMARCH WEATHER!

Note: Lack of witty Homer Simpson photo regarding Smarch weather (not) brought to you by the NO LONGER FREE Imageshack.

Eclipse

OK, it was 77° and partly sunny on Saturday.  I was sitting watching a local Class A baseball team take advantage of the winds blowing out
in shorts and a t-shirt.

Last night there was an inch of snow and it's still on the lawns.

NEXT SEASON PLEASE!

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

April 15:  Snow in Tennessee!  Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

Luis R. Ramos

Snow?  ???  I wish!   >:(   Had to scrape ice from my windshield and car! New York City...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

a2capt

Visited Kansas City over the weekend .. when I picked up the rental, I found the ice scraper in the back on the floor .. tossed that thing in the trunk behind all the stuff. "Bah, what do I need this for?"

... almost needed it. It snowed on Monday morning, while going to the airport. If it had actually rained I might have had to scrape it off first.

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on April 16, 2014, 05:37:26 PM
If it had actually rained I might have had to scrape it off first.

It rained almost all day yesterday, and then, at some point in the wee hrs this morning, it snowed less than an inch (nuisance snow).

Unfortunately, the snow stuck to the (now frozen on the car) rain and made a "hard to scrape off mess" this morning..

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

a2capt

arajca

Panache

PHall

80 degrees and sunny, a really nice day today here in Southern California.
I'll take smog and earthquakes over blizzards and tornados any day of the week folks. >:D

The14th

It was chilly here in San Antonio for a couple of days this week, but today was back up in the 70s. A couple weeks ago it was pushing 90, so it was a nice cool down.

a2capt

Quote from: a2capt on February 17, 2014, 11:08:40 PM..and I saw someone mentioning a forecast of more coming.

Which means it will be like 80 in Southern California ;)
A year later, give a day .. same thing. Ridiculous Winter in the northeast, and it's been in the mid to high 80's for the last 9 days at the southwestern end..

Quote from: SarDragon on February 18, 2014, 08:09:24 AMOur group is having an exercise this weekend, too. The temperatures are expected to be in the high 70s to low 80s.  ;D 
Also, a year later, and they actually postponed it for later in the month because the weather just wasn't bad/cold enough. I doubt it's going to get any better. Want a Winter Bivouac? Book a charter plane to New York.
http://www.VisitIthaca.com .. says it all.

EDIT: Between Auto-Corrupt and Voodoo cut and paste .. ugh.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

stixco1

Live near Binghamton NY - went out to dinner for the wives B-day last night. It was -2 with wind chills -25. Plus we have had a snow storm every couple of days for the last few weeks....

Eclipse

Midwest?  Meh - it's winter, it's cold.

Basically 2 snow events, neither enough to complain about (even though I did whine a fair piece about blowing the snow).

"That Others May Zoom"

RRLE

Quote from: stixco1 on February 17, 2015, 12:12:01 AM
Live near Binghamton NY - went out to dinner for the wives B-day last night.

How many wives do you have and why are their birthdays on the same day? Are they twins, triplets etc?

stixco1

Quote from: RRLE on February 17, 2015, 01:27:55 PM
Quote from: stixco1 on February 17, 2015, 12:12:01 AM
Live near Binghamton NY - went out to dinner for the wives B-day last night.

How many wives do you have and why are their birthdays on the same day? Are they twins, triplets etc?

1 wife , 1 ex-wife - birthdays are not the same day. However, the ex wife did join us for the current wife's birthday dinner.

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on February 17, 2015, 02:34:28 AM
Midwest?  Meh - it's winter, it's cold.

BBQ'ed in shorts last night - had trouble getting the grill to temp, otherwise, no biggie.

"That Others May Zoom"